Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2019, 12:02 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I forgot to post this pic, but it shows the hole location.

I am going to take a look at it tomorrow...
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:52 PM   #42

This is what I found...

Quote:
I forgot to post this pic, but it shows the hole location.

Rusty, yours has that white PVC but mine doesn't. I found that 6" pre cut hole but what's interesting is there seems to be the ability to keep the fresh water tank from freezing. See the duct hose?
Attached Thumbnails
20190109_133040.jpg   20190109_133053.jpg  
Old 01-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #43

Hi
I'm new to the forum... how do I start a post?
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
Rusty, yours has that white PVC but mine doesn't. I found that 6" pre cut hole but what's interesting is there seems to be the ability to keep the fresh water tank from freezing. See the duct hose?

Interesting, the white PVC scoop is a Eave mounted dryer duct cover with a damper built in that I installed once I cut the linoleum out that was covering the 6" hole in the floor on the top side. It looks like yours already has a duct into that section, is it more towards the middle of the tank? Ours had no existing duct work into that bay before I started.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #45

Quote:
Interesting, the white PVC scoop is a Eave mounted dryer duct cover with a damper built in that I installed once I cut the linoleum out that was covering the 6" hole in the floor on the top side. It looks like yours already has a duct into that section, is it more towards the middle of the tank? Ours had no existing duct work into that bay before I started.
The duct is about a foot behind the propane tank, sits on the freshwater tank.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #46

Are all RVs pre wired for solar? I have a 2010 Greyhawk and I'd love solar power in it. Any suggestions where I can start looking. Thanks for any input.
BossmanJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:44 PM   #47

Quote:
Just got done adding a Renogy 400 watt system on our 2018.5 Seneca. Everything way pretty easy, laid the panels out and marked mounts, pilot drilled all the holes with a 3/16” bit, then put dicor over the holes and area of the mounts and set panel in place. I used #14 x 3/4” Stainless hex head screws and ran them in by hand so they wouldnt strip out in the thin roof. I ended up punching a third hole in each mount so there are 12 screws in each panel...everything is very solid. Then put more dicor over the screws and placed zip tie tabs for the wires down on roof with dicor. Found the prewired behind a marked cover just up behind the inverter and made a plywood panel to mount everything on. Wired everything up and brought it online today, everything works great. Got the optional Bluetooth module and have the app to monitor and set up the controller via phone.
Hey Rusty,

Do you know if the pre-wiring (8 gauge I believe) is sufficient if I want to run 1200 watts of panels into a 60 amp charge controller?
Seek and Enjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:17 PM   #48

Just ordered this kit to install in our new Seneca. Thanks for the info RustyNuts.
phuggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:56 AM   #49

Quote:
Just got done adding a Renogy 400 watt system on our 2018.5 Seneca. Everything way pretty easy, laid the panels out and marked mounts, pilot drilled all the holes with a 3/16” bit, then put dicor over the holes and area of the mounts and set panel in place. I used #14 x 3/4” Stainless hex head screws and ran them in by hand so they wouldnt strip out in the thin roof. I ended up punching a third hole in each mount so there are 12 screws in each panel...everything is very solid. Then put more dicor over the screws and placed zip tie tabs for the wires down on roof with dicor. Found the prewired behind a marked cover just up behind the inverter and made a plywood panel to mount everything on. Wired everything up and brought it online today, everything works great. Got the optional Bluetooth module and have the app to monitor and set up the controller via phone.
where did you mount the controller ect. on the back board
Old 11-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #50

people might not understand that post, where in the rv did you mount the backboard with all the equipment, underneath in one of the storage compartments
Old 11-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #51

Hammer

On my 2020 Accolade the solar wiring was run from the roof down into the storage compartment next to the battery compartment. From there the wiring runs from the controller to the battery bay next door. When I had the solar kit installed they mounted the controller to the storage compartment wall and it sits right below the inverter which is in the same compartment.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:31 AM   #52

thanks, I have looked for wiring, but have not found it yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Hammer

On my 2020 Accolade the solar wiring was run from the roof down into the storage compartment next to the battery compartment. From there the wiring runs from the controller to the battery bay next door. When I had the solar kit installed they mounted the controller to the storage compartment wall and it sits right below the inverter which is in the same compartment.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
thanks, I have looked for wiring, but have not found it yet

The solar wiring from the roof should be on the wall between the battery bay and the the wall the inverter is mounted on. It will be under a little black PVC cover and usually has a sticker on it that says solar but the sticker often falls off. Here is a pic with the cover off and the red and white wires uncoiled....I dont have a pic of the cover itself but this should give you an idea where to look.
Attached Thumbnails
i-7BRwKpj-X2.jpg   i-6Csjmfq-X2.jpg  

Old 11-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #54

thanks I will look again

Quote:
The solar wiring from the roof should be on the wall between the battery bay and the the wall the inverter is mounted on. It will be under a little black PVC cover and usually has a sticker on it that says solar but the sticker often falls off. Here is a pic with the cover off and the red and white wires uncoiled....I dont have a pic of the cover itself but this should give you an idea where to look.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #55

To: Bossmanjack: We bought a 90-watt Zamp, portable, and I love. It's not necessary to spend as much as a Zamp costs....
My hope was that the portable panel would keep the single coach battery charged during the day. It does.
My wife thinks it's a gimmick cuz she can't charge her phone and I-pad with it. I am OK with that.
To charge her devices, we use the generator to charge the coach battery so that it has enough juice to hold its charge.
The Zamp means we are not using the generator as often, which means we are creating less noise and are not using up its running parts at the same rate we would have minus the Zamp....
Going with a portable solar kit, we are not drilling holes in the roof, adding the weight (up high) to the coach, and we move the panel as the sun moves across the sky. I am in the habit of setting it up before sunrise. It takes maybe 2-3 minutes. And it's super cool to see the readout numbers on the panel show higher and higher volts going directly to the battery -- essentially free of charge.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:14 AM   #56

Quote:

still don't see any wire in the compartment where my inverter is, what size wire is the wire was in yours
Old 12-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
still don't see any wire in the compartment where my inverter is, what size wire is the wire was in yours

They are usually under a plastic cover like in the attached pic, it should have a sticker but many times it falls off. The wires are a red and white 8ga wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Upperleft DLSidebay3.jpg   lookslikenumber10'stome.jpg  

Old 12-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #58

Mine on the 2020 Accolade is on the floor of the pass through in the inverter’s compartment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5AE928AB-03BF-4CE4-81C6-3BD0717CD1E2.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	55195

Click image for larger version

Name:	9C0AF76C-DC82-4702-BEBE-9642F757DF14.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	55196
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #59

thank you all very much, I do see that cover, thank again, and if you have a place where to get another inverter that is a good deal I would appreciate that too
Old 12-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #60

has anyone used the flexible solar panels on the roof that you stick to the roof, or would you stay away from those in case they fail