Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazear View Post
It's on Ebay for $15.99 and free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-RODGE...IAAOSwUMxaAgQj
2018 GMC Sierra Denalli 4WD 1T CC Dually Duramax/Allison Nav Sys,-Sun Roof-On Star-XM Radio
serfas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:41 PM   #62

Its a safety issue, why would you want to? Use the battery disconnect at the bottom left by step
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:55 PM   #63

I think it’s so they can look cool, rolling up and sliding out as soon as you park.
Make an entrance so to speak....
Kiwimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:14 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Yes, an alternator can supply more current that the typical converter. BUT, unless you have some really heavy gauge wiring between the alternator and the house battery, you won't be able to get what you want.

I attached a wire gauge chart that shows the gauge wire recommended for the current that you want to draw. If your house battery is only 10 feet away from the alternator a 6 gauge wire would be required to get some serious amps from the alternator. I wonder what gauge wire Jayco runs in their units.

An alternator can put out a lot of amps to a chassis battery because it is only a few feet away. So yes your friend is correct in the respect that an alternator can put out more but odds are it won't to the house battery. I don't agree with the statement that a converter is more like a trickle charger. My stock converter can put out 60 amps. That is definitely not a trickle charge!

Wire gauge and run length are the determining factors. Another thing to consider is efficiency. Is it better to run a big truck engine or small generator motor to charge a battery.

I have a set routine when boondocking. When I am set in my spot I will fire up the genny for probably 10 minutes or so. During that time I will extend the slide, levelers, and awning. I also will activate my Direct TV dish which requires 120 volts and allow it to lock on the satellites. Once done the generator is shut down and the batteries are still setting at full charge. Works for me.
Hi Jim, it’s Debbie again, what batteries are you guys talking about?
Debbie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:12 PM   #65
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie G View Post
Hi Jim, it’s Debbie again, what batteries are you guys talking about?
Your rig has two batteries. One under the hood (chassis battery), to power the engine, and one in your side entry stairs (coach or house battery), to power all the 12 volt systems (water heater, furnace, lights, fridge, etc.) in the coach. You also have space to add a second battery in the stairs.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:39 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Your rig has two batteries. One under the hood (chassis battery), to power the engine, and one in your side entry stairs (coach or house battery), to power all the 12 volt systems (water heater, furnace, lights, fridge, etc.) in the coach. You also have space to add a second battery in the stairs.
Yep!

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:32 AM   #67

Late to the party, but couldn't you solve the problem by just running the generator.

If I had a motor home, that's what I would envision doing. When it's time to run out or retract the slide, just run the generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazear View Post
I'd like to keep the motor running while putting the slide in and out on my 2020 Redhawk 24B. It has a big slide, which is why we bought that model. There seems to be some sort of a nanny defeat switch that prevents you from operating the slide with the engine running. Anyone know how to disable this so I can operate my slide in and out with the engine running? I did a search and came up empty.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:47 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Late to the party, but couldn't you solve the problem by just running the generator.

If I had a motor home, that's what I would envision doing. When it's time to run out or retract the slide, just run the generator.
Lots of water under the bridge since my original post.
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:13 AM   #69

I have one large house battery with 200w solar panel on our redhawk 29xk with ine 12’ slide out it does not drain battery much at all to operate our slide, and with solar i now never have to run generator to charge battery all day unless we are going to need to run major appliances. Solar made things a lot easier, just my 2 cents.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:21 AM   #70

Solar is on the list to consider installing for sure. Need to get up to speed on options.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:24 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgibbster View Post
I have one large house battery
What’s the house battery you’ve decided on?
Old 08-10-2020, 09:32 AM   #72

Battery

I installed a Trojan T1275 12v with minor tray modifications to remove rivets and just barely fits.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #73

And have been running that battery with solar for over a year now and works great without adding more batteries with more modifications to be done. So far so good and the battery was only like $170 less my core battery whatever that was, i think another $20 off, was well worth it for how well the combo with solar works for us.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:24 AM   #74
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgibbster View Post
I installed a Trojan T1275 12v with minor tray modifications to remove rivets and just barely fits.
I just looked at that battery. It claims a 150 amp hour capacity. On my 24B, I have room for two Group 24 batteries, which are around 80 amp hour each. So it appears that Trojan provides a similar output to the two currently on board.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #75

Well i did not realize that the 2019had room for two batteries, i would see if you could upgrade those batteries then and look into solar, solar installed on mine was like $900
Old 08-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #76
Lost in the Woods

There's is space in the 24B, under the entry stairs, for two Group 24 batteries, but nothing bigger, unless you want to completely modify the battery tray, or relocate batteries into one of the other compartments.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:48 AM   #77

where is the slide relay?
4wdclassc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:21 PM   #78

ok so here is the deal the relay is in the the drawer area the relay has purple leads
pull the purple lead off and your engine will start shhhhhhhhh
Old 03-24-2023, 03:40 PM   #79

on your rig theres a relay under the wardrobe actually two of them the one with the purple leads is the ignition relay for the slide the other one is for the awning
Old 04-01-2023, 11:46 PM   #80

Thanks for the tip. Been trying to figure that out for a while. Slides should just require the parking brake to be on.
B.Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote