Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2020, 06:57 PM   #1

Slow Starting Generator

Hi All---2020 29MVP. Every time we start the Gen it turns over from 7-10 seconds before starting. Even if we had run it early that day it still takes that long to start. Is this normal for these Gens? It just seems like when we dry camp all our neighbors start up right away. NOTE: It does start every time just takes a while. Any thoughts on if something may need adjustment
GJRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:15 PM   #2

7-10 secs after priming?
Old 06-04-2020, 07:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJRVers View Post
Hi All---2020 29MVP. Every time we start the Gen it turns over from 7-10 seconds before starting. Even if we had run it early that day it still takes that long to start. Is this normal for these Gens? It just seems like when we dry camp all our neighbors start up right away. NOTE: It does start every time just takes a while. Any thoughts on if something may need adjustment
So does mine. I have been priming for 15-20 seconds but just read that I should prime for 30+ seconds. Maybe that would help.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:56 PM   #4

Yes, when I hit the start button inside the coach the gen will crank for 7-10 seconds before actually starting. That just seems long to me as I frequently here others start up almost immediately
GJRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Yes, when I hit the start button inside the coach the gen will crank for 7-10 seconds before actually starting. That just seems long to me as I frequently here others start up almost immediately
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the only way to prime the unit is outside on the genny right?? If so, you are not priming and your experience is normal...and better than mine.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the only way to prime the unit is outside on the genny right?? If so, you are not priming and your experience is normal...and better than mine.
No, usually the inside start button primes when you push and hold the stop button which is what you should do first.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
No, usually the inside start button primes when you push and hold the stop button which is what you should do first.

Fantastic, you are right. A red light above the switch comes on while priming. I am really sorry for hijacking this thread with my stupidity. Yet another thank you to the PDI tech who didn't have a clue.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:33 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Like Grumpy said, you actually have to hold the start button DOWN in the STOP position for 30 seconds to prime the motor, before hitting UP for start, otherwise it will crank a long time.

I know, it sounds counter intuitive... but hey, it's a RV....
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:36 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
So does mine. I have been priming for 15-20 seconds but just read that I should prime for 30+ seconds. Maybe that would help.
I get impatient sometimes, and only prime for like 10 -15 seconds... then wonder why I go through that process like 3 times before it starts....
Old 06-05-2020, 04:20 AM   #10

Is this an LP thing? My gas Onan you only prime when you either run it out of fuel or change the fuel filter......usually starts within a few seconds cranking with no priming.
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Like Grumpy said, you actually have to hold the start button DOWN in the STOP position for 30 seconds to prime the motor, before hitting UP for start, otherwise it will crank a long time.

I know, it sounds counter intuitive... but hey, it's a RV....
Do we run the risk of flooding it that way? I know the Onan manual states to prime it that long if the genny has been run dry - but that is seldom the case for motorhome people.

On another note, I don’t think 7-10 seconds is terribly long for a Onan to turn over.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Do we run the risk of flooding it that way? I know the Onan manual states to prime it that long if the genny has been run dry - but that is seldom the case for motorhome people.

On another note, I don’t think 7-10 seconds is terribly long for a Onan to turn over.
I always had to prime before starting with both my 4000 and 5500.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:58 AM   #13

For me, I hit the prime until I hear the pump start to hum, then I count off 7 Mississippis. Usually starts within a few seconds. If not, I wait another 10 Mississippis and crank it again; usually fires right up by then.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:59 AM   #14

Still a newbie here...... One would think i would of known about the priming procedure. I've just been cranking ours, 10-15 seconds a shot it some time takes 2-3 mins before it would start just thought that was the way it was. going to try the priming button tonight when i get home lol thanks guys
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbunke View Post
Is this an LP thing? My gas Onan you only prime when you either run it out of fuel or change the fuel filter......usually starts within a few seconds cranking with no priming.
No, it's a gas thing. More than likely you will find the procedure listed in the starting procedures of the Onan Owner's Manual.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
No, it's a gas thing. More than likely you will find the procedure listed in the starting procedures of the Onan Owner's Manual.
Well, that's were I got my info from. Prime if you run out of fuel. No mention of priming during normal start procedure. My gen is new this year so maybe they changed the procedure from past models??
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:10 AM   #17

I will prime mine for 10-15 seconds and crank it. It usually won't start on that first attempt; I'll crank it around 5 seconds or so. So I'll usually prime for another 5-10 seconds or so, then it fires right up immediately.

That's how it goes for the first attempt out of storage. If it's been running recently (like within the last 48 hrs or so), I can usually just prime for ~5 seconds and it will kick right up on the first attempt.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking, and why I "short prime", to keep from flooding. But when it doesn't start on a short prime, I guess we need to listen to the Onan manual, and prime for close to 30 seconds....
Old 06-05-2020, 08:34 AM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I will prime mine for 10-15 seconds and crank it. It usually won't start on that first attempt; I'll crank it around 5 seconds or so. So I'll usually prime for another 5-10 seconds or so, then it fires right up immediately.
Wait... were you looking over my shoulder??

That's exactly what I do, EACH time, thinking that THIS time it will start after that 10-15 second prime...

I know... "The Definition Of Insanity"...
Old 06-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking, and why I "short prime", to keep from flooding. But when it doesn't start on a short prime, I guess we need to listen to the Onan manual, and prime for close to 30 seconds....
Right but doesn’t that 30 seconds apply to a genny that was run dry prior?