Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2018, 09:51 AM   #1

Soundstream infotainment system

Hello, everyone!! Okay, I found out the replacement infotainment system for 2019. The 2019 units are getting the Soundstream. My new inquiry now is, model number. There are lots of positive reviews on Soundstream and I would just like to narrow it down to the exact model for overall features, bells and whistles. Thank you all in advance!!

Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:35 PM   #2

VRN 65HXB in our 2019 Redhawk. On our first trip, I found it difficult to use due to being so far out of driver line of sight and excessive screen glare. It comes with a remote so maybe that will help with controls, but I think I will revert to my old tried and true Garmin NUVI for nav. I also admit to being old and wish for the return of things with knobs and real buttons.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
Hello, everyone!! Okay, I found out the replacement infotainment system for 2019. The 2019 units are getting the Soundstream. My new inquiry now is, model number. There are lots of positive reviews on Soundstream and I would just like to narrow it down to the exact model for overall features, bells and whistles. Thank you all in advance!!
Tell me what you think about the Soundstream after you get your unit.
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytalk View Post
Tell me what you think about the Soundstream after you get your unit.
Bringing this one back to the top. Agree with the screen being somewhat difficult to see but so far I've only driven it from the dealer to our house. How do you turn it off ? Makes me wish for a good old fashioned button.
GCSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #5

There's a power button on the remote. Hold it down for three or four seconds to turn it off. The manual that comes with it is not very good.

The problem I'm having is that when the radio is on, the GPS comes on uncommanded. Lots of times, I don't want the GPS on. I may be doing something wrong but for now I am pretty much leaving the thing turned off.

Another thing that seems odd, when the backup camera comes on, it turns the radio on. Pretty sure the techies that design these things never have to use them in real life.

Congratulations on your new RV. Enjoy.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUSNRet View Post
There's a power button on the remote. Hold it down for three or four seconds to turn it off. The manual that comes with it is not very good.

The problem I'm having is that when the radio is on, the GPS comes on uncommanded. Lots of times, I don't want the GPS on. I may be doing something wrong but for now I am pretty much leaving the thing turned off.

Another thing that seems odd, when the backup camera comes on, it turns the radio on. Pretty sure the techies that design these things never have to use them in real life.

Congratulations on your new RV. Enjoy.
Thx. I finally figured it out. Was not holding the off button long enough. I did not get a remote or a manual.
GCSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #7

Just bought a 2019 29MV and it comes with this unit. I personally don't like it. It's clumsy to use, my keys stick so if you type in "frog" it will type "fffrroooogg". I'll take it in to get it fixed but may replace with something else. I want something with a knob cause the controls are too far and too small when you want to adjust volume while driving.

Also the mic for the phone is horrible and people can't hear me.
fsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:48 AM   #8

Is there a way to keep the backup camera on the screen at all times, even while driving?
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #9

Yeah, but it switches to the side cameras when you turn the signals on. I have a lifted Jeep so I can see it outside the rear window
fsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:54 PM   #10

this caught us by surprise when we were told that nothing was changing except interior color options between 2018 and 2019 when we bought our 29MV. of course we only toyed with the garmin on the lot, but we drove 3400 miles with the soundstream and it is horrible. the lag is atrocious, navigation is clunky and time consuming to make an entry, it doesn't have RV specific features, it says it's not iphone compatible when i try to bluetooth my phone to it, the screen is angled in a way that it is very difficult to see from the driver's seat and it has bad glare, the screen doesn't detach to make for easier entry of search terms, the hands free phone is not worth trying unless you're parked with nothing running, and over all it's not very intuitive. was about to go drop $450 to have a garmin unit installed, but read some reviews here that weren't very favorable, so now I don't know what to do. it's 2018 - this should be pretty easy technology at this point!

a1i50n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soundstream