Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 10:09 PM   #1

Spare Tire Carrier

I have a Redhawk 26xd and am trying to figure a way to carry a spare tire. None of the storage bays are large enough to hold one. Looking under the rear of the coach, it appears that there is plenty of room to mount a tire there. Has anyone designed some kind of mount to hold a tire under the back of the coach? I am looking at just carrying a tire w/o the rim.

Thanks,
Ron
txhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #2

I'm interested in this as well. I sorta checked into it, I think a cross member may have to be welded in place to mount a small winch like on some pick ups.
ninjafreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #3

I have a 09 Greyhawk SS I ended up putting it under the bed, I had a carrier on the bumper but was in the way towing. I had no room underneath was going to use one of those gm cable lifts for spare but no place to mount on mine
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #4

This is what we use... works great, lowers the tire to the ground, and still lets you tow. Got the dealer to throw it in as part of the deal.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #5

This may work. It's called "hide a spare" by BAL. They have several different sizes so you need to measure accurately.
Attached Thumbnails
Tire carrier1.jpg   spare tire 2.jpg  
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:41 AM   #6

Did your rig come with the spare?

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #7

Easier to mount it on the rear bumper and you can still tow.
WhalerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #8

The Logans

I checked into this hitch-mounted carrier. A couple of questions I have:
1. I see that it is attached by a bolt to the MH receiver. Is there a way to lock the unit to the receiver since you are not using a normal hitch pin?

2. It appears to lower your receiver about 3 or 4 inches from that of the MH receiver. Is that adjustable? Right now my tow bar is level with my Jeep and I'm not sure I would want to drop the front of the bar several inches.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 02-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #9

I bought a bumper mounted tire carrier from Amazon and mounted it just to the left of the roof ladder and right of the trailer hitch. Mounted the tire and rim and locked the tire with a lock. Covered it with a tire cover and plenty of room to hook up my jeep to tow.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #10

You can get a tire and rim from Discount Tire that will do the job. Did for me on my Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhood View Post
I have a Redhawk 26xd and am trying to figure a way to carry a spare tire. None of the storage bays are large enough to hold one. Looking under the rear of the coach, it appears that there is plenty of room to mount a tire there. Has anyone designed some kind of mount to hold a tire under the back of the coach? I am looking at just carrying a tire w/o the rim.

Thanks,
Ron
We were told too dangerous to change tire so that's why they don't include one. Are you carrying one for someone else to change or you will?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Lanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #12

Spare tire carrier

Carry a spare and let Good Sam roadside change it for you.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #13

I don't plan to change the tire myself. Just want a spare available in case I am in the middle of nowhere and have a flat, the service tech can change it for me. Do not want to have to wait several hours for someone to locate a replacement and then have to pay three times what is should cost.
The bumper carriers look promising. I had never considered that the bumper would be stout enough to handle the weight.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #14

Good luck the bumper will hold it ok..once you have a spare you probably will never need it.��
Old 02-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #15

Mine was originally mounted on the bumper I could see it in the camera was doing the wave motion sometimes and was giving the bumper a work out so I mounted it under the bed
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:02 PM   #16

I have the 26xd also. Mounted tire & rim on bumper with nice American flag tire cover. Did add 8 inch extension to hitch reciver so tow bar didn't hit tire on tight turns. Has worked well with no problems.
Lillys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #17

When we bought our MH, my wife insisted they supply a spare tire so the dealer got a brand new rim and tire for us. I then looked around and found Troy Engineered Components and Assemblies on the internet and ordered a winch from them and had a local fabricator mount it under the rig so I'm not using up the rear storage area.

If you give them a call, sometimes it can take a couple of days/tries to get a hold of someone so be persistent.

One thing to caution you on, I talked with the guy on the phone and thought they were going to wait for me to get back to them on a question and the next thing I knew, the winch was at my front door. They actually billed me for it instead of having me pay for it before they shipped it.
searay268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #18

what brand of carrier did you get? i have a 225-75-16 spare and most of the products have a 60 lb or under max limit. i'm afraid my spare weighs more than that.

thanks
charley patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #19

Check out Troy Engineered Components and Assemblies. Their carriers are rated for around 100 pounds I think.
searay268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:56 AM   #20

thank you, sir.
charley patton is offline   Reply With Quote