Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #1

Stereo mods?

Our '00 3230 has a dashboard-mounted radio/CD player which currently seems to power the two front-door speakers as well as two over the dinette and the two over the rear queen. Well, actually of the last two pairs, it only works one speaker in each. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone's installed a second radio (or maybe just some sort of iPod dock somewhere in the coach to run the coach speakers. The dash radio is inconvenient to get to when you're parked, and it runs down the engine battery which receives no love when you're on shore power.

I know I can (and plan to) install a Trik-L-Start which will help that last matter, but still wondering about the 2nd radio install.

2000 Jayco Designer 3230
32' - E450 - Triton V10
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #2

I replaced the stock radio a couple years ago in our 2007 Seneca. Wasn't too bad unless you took pictures while the dash was apart . Has an Ipod dock, XM Radio and GPS all in one now. I was worried about the battery running down during storage so I put in one of those power bars with the quick clip plugs. Added a little expense and have to reset everything when it comes out of storage but I have juice in the battery if it sits for a bit when we can't use it for a few months (like coming up this winter). All those radios have an internal clock and memory that draw a little current to keep that stuff and I didn't want to take any chances. If you drive it every day like a car it's no big deal but since some of us can't do that with our rigs. As far as a second radio Jayco setup us up with a dvd/radio to solve that Its not the best but it works. I looked for a replacement but there isn't a lot out there.
SeoManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I put a nice Kenwood radio in my pop-up that came out of my truck before it got recalled.
You can take any car stereo you like, mount it somewhere or build a small stand alone box.
Grab a 12 volt feed and splice into your speaker wires.
You just have to find the wires.
Can be straight forward or the wires are buried and more work.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #4

I replaced my generic radio with a nice pioneer head unit and replaced all the speakers with infinity 6.5's. Sounds much better now and I also have a true iPod dock that allows me to charge and control the iPod from the radio. Also came with a remote so I don't even have to get off the couch to change the song
Old 11-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #5

The best thing i did was buy a Bose Ipod dock and plug it in by the TV on the cab-over bunk. i intend on replacing the lousy Clarion in dash unit as it just doesn't sound good and the GPS is not user freindly but need more money!!
John
johnd1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to WPnorton
replaced the original Defi radio with Pioneer double din Nav unit

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash Radio-Nav.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	5960

The install was a snap. Much better than having a nav unit hanging from the windshield!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #7

Nice nav unit! Might have to consider that. Out of curiosity, what are the two glowing panels to the left & above the radio? (one round, one square)

2000 Jayco Designer 3230
32' - E450 - Triton V10
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote