Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

Trailering a toad

Anyone trailer their toad behind your jayco class c. Going without a toad for this yr but would like to be prepared if necessary. We have a 2019 jayco 22j.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #2

Jeep Rubicon 4 door (4 down) behind a GreyHawk 29 W.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
Anyone trailer their toad behind your jayco class c. Going without a toad for this yr but would like to be prepared if necessary. We have a 2019 jayco 22j.

You're asking specifically for people who put their cars on a trailer, versus 4-down towing?

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:29 AM   #4

Thanks, yes on a trailer vs flat towing.. Looking at chevy spark manual shift to trailer
Old 05-01-2019, 05:04 AM   #5

With a trailer remember to take into account the trailer's tongue weight and how that weight may affect your rear axle and tire loading. And also how that weight impacts your unit's ROCC. Also to be considered is the car and trailer's overall weight and how that factors into your rig's GCWR.

Safety first!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:23 AM   #6

Thanks, chevy spark is around #2500, trailer #1500. I am good for #7500 and tongue #750 so i anm good. We are retired so just the 2 of us in our jayco class c 22j with ford e450 chassis..
Old 05-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #7

Personally, I do not have the physical strength or know how to handle a 1500# tow dolly when the time comes to do anything other than drive straight ahead. In other words, 4 down towing is the only way I could handle a toad.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #8

Thanks, i am 77 and do not want to man handle a tow dolly either. That is why i am asking about use of a car trailer with twin axles
Old 05-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #9

So much easier to tow on all four down, plus, what do you do with the trailer when you get to your destination, or when in an RV park without a pull-thru? I personally feel it is a real inconvenience, in comparison to the alternative !! Good luck and be safe on the road.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:48 PM   #10

I use a tow dolly it has very little tongue weight, been lucky I guess when I get to a site usually take car off and put dolly in back of site and been able to back the class C over it making it very hard to steal and out of site.Only once did I put the dolly on the car hitch to back in a site. When I pull out I just drop the dolly on the RV hitch coming out of the site then put the car on it. I also have a physical disability and so far have not had to man handle the thing.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
So much easier to tow on all four down, plus, what do you do with the trailer when you get to your destination, or when in an RV park without a pull-thru? I personally feel it is a real inconvenience, in comparison to the alternative !! Good luck and be safe on the road.
We had pulled our Saturn Vue 4-down a couple of times many years ago..

Now we are older and thousands of miles more experienced with flat-Tow and Dolly Towing.... our choice is on a tandem axle 10k trailer today. With a trailer, you can back up, you don't worry about supplemental brakes, tow bars, toad-lights, pulling fuses, starting and lubricating your drivetrain every few hours and putting thousands of extra miles of wear on your vehicle.

We have put at least 8,500 miles into our Seneca / Trailer / Toyota combination so far in the past 3 years. There is a lot less to do when loading your vehicle on the trailer... and you can haul extra stuff on your trailer too.

Now look at the safety aspect too... Ask someone who has lost a front tire on their toad - on the interstate at speed. The two guys that I know have had it happen, tow their Jeeps on a trailer now.

I know that everyone has a personal preference... I have tried them all.

Now onto the subject of space for the trailer and having space... It is not an issue.. Even the KOA in Kingman has room for us (68 feet Seneca and Trailer) and every campground we have been in along the way has had plenty of space too. This trip: Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arizona so far...
Attached Thumbnails
20190501_143231.jpg   20190326_113218.jpg   20190411_172317.jpg   20190420_192321.jpg   20190422_175508.jpg  

07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Good luck and be safe on the road.
Hey... We are in your backyard! at the KOA in Kingman. feel free to stop by and have a cold one with us... We seem to meet someone on the JOF at each campground we stop...

Old 05-01-2019, 04:33 PM   #13

In time you will come across a campground or two that will not allow the trailer to be parked on the same lot as the MH and you will be required to buy another space.

When we had a MH I flat towed a small truck, now we have a truck/5th wheel trailer.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #14

Thanks, i am going with trailer when we decide it is time for us
Old 05-01-2019, 08:22 PM   #15

Trailering a toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Hey... We are in your backyard! at the KOA in Kingman. feel free to stop by and have a cold one with us... We seem to meet someone on the JOF at each campground we stop...

How long will you be here? I can stop to see you almost anytime. Glad to get with you !! Gprapim@gmail.com 928-279-9559 George Rapoport
Old 05-01-2019, 09:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saran View Post
In time you will come across a campground or two that will not allow the trailer to be parked on the same lot as the MH and you will be required to buy another space.
I totally agree with you! Mark S. came and visited us at the KOA in Davie Fl where our spot barely had enough space to park a 28' motorhome on the pad (they insisted that we fit on the pad without sticking out off the pad. We told them we were 39ft... they wanted to charge us extra for just about everything.

The grumpy ladies in the Office shoo'd him and his wife away when they stopped in front of our campsite for a few minutes... and the next day they tried to charge us $25 for an extra vehicle because they were stopped in front of our site for 10 minutes.

So you know... the smallest and tightest size RV Park we have EVER been in - was the KOA in New Orleans (not the same one in Davie FL) - and they had space for us and our trailer. It is really all about the RV park... but in our travels with our trailer - we have not had any trouble finding a place to stay where we could not have our trailer in our spot. Only two in our lifetime have been the exceptions - ever.

Picture is below of our campsite in New Orleans. Great place! https://goo.gl/maps/o1vXiAtWpjKgfrYs9
Attached Thumbnails
20171203_132706_NO.jpg  

Old 05-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #17

Quote:
How long will you be here? I can stop to see you almost anytime. Glad to get with you !! Gprapim@gmail.com 928-279-9559 George Rapoport
We are here thru the 11th. I will call you tomorrow!
Steve

Old 05-01-2019, 09:56 PM   #18

Sounds good. I’m up early and am free all day.

George
Old 05-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #19

Toad At Campgrounds

I am thinking about flat towing our 2014 Chevy Equinox behind our 2017 Greyhawk. This vehicle can be flat towed.

Most of my camping experience (35+ years) has been off road camping at Pismo Beach (right on the beach) and Glamis sand dunes here in Southern California. The entire family has been sand dune fanatics with jeeps, sand rails, and various atvs.

Well, now with my Greyhawk I am expanding my options by going to some campgrounds that tend to overlook the ocean.

I want to plan a 2 week excursion around California to expand my horizons. I want to get some use year round with my motor home now that I am retired. Being at the ocean just has a wonderful calming effect and I totally enjoy it.

Since it is not real convenient to drive a 32 foot motor home to pick up supplies or to drive around national parks, I was thinking about going the toad route.

My question is - what do you do with the toad at campsites? Do you have to park it in some remote lot and then walk to it when needed? I don't think the camping sites have enough room to stick it in there. I don't want to park it under my awning.

So, what are my options? I have limited mobility so would like to have it close by. I can tell (tell may be such a strong word when used with the spouse) my wife to fetch the car but that may not be a real good thing to do repeatedly if I want to continue living.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
My question is - what do you do with the toad at campsites? Do you have to park it in some remote lot and then walk to it when needed? I don't think the camping sites have enough room to stick it in there. I don't want to park it under my awning.

So, what are my options? I have limited mobility so would like to have it close by. I can tell (tell may be such a strong word when used with the spouse) my wife to fetch the car but that may not be a real good thing to do repeatedly if I want to continue living.
I have a Seneca (40') and there have only been a couple of campgrounds where the toad could not be right at my site. That includes State Parks in OH, PA, IL, and NY.

But I have no experience in California, it might be more cramped there. But here in the East it hasn't been an issue.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote