Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #21

Our awning is out 24/7 and is staked down. We use a kit made by Camco and have been happy with it. We camp seasonally, directly across from a farm. Our site can have 10 - 15 mph or higher winds blowing on an otherwise calm day. The farm funnels wind right to us. Without the tie downs, the awning would be in more than it is out.

We usually pull the awning in when Severe Thunderstorms with high winds are predicted. Since the National Weather Service is usually wrong, we have been caught unexpected a few times. Five years on this site with a couple really high winds storms with the awning out - both awnings have survived (the Carefree electric awning on our Greyhawk and our current Dometic manual awning on our TT).

This kit worked really well with the Carefree electric awning on our Greyhawk. The 7" springs in the kit allow the awning to gently move in high gusts of wind, which reduces the chance of tearing the awning. The springs also take the impact off the ground anchors so they don't pull out. With the manual awning, it's really just a little added insurance.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #22
jrl

michael.g,

Good to know. Thank you. I will look into that kit.
jrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:19 PM   #23

they need some kind of sensor for the wind that automatically retracts the awning once it gets so windy.

they also need to make it so the awning is a solar panel when extended.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:28 PM   #24

Simply put, I am retired and therefore have time to retract it but little money to replace it.
2004 Excel MKO-sold
2001 Idletime TH-sold
1994 JAYCO 5r-sold
May the sun smile upon you and the wind be at your back
Motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #25

These cheap awnings are as flimsy as you can get. The arms are lightweight aluminum with little strength to hold it together in high winds. I had mine bend in 1/2 second on a big wind event that came on so fast I couldn't retract it fast enough to save it. The bent arm stopped it half way & than a heavy rain perused which weighed down the awning to the point that it was tearing away from the attachment points near the roof. I had to break the arm off & zip tied it up against the camper. I drove that way for another 6,000 miles until I got home & had the warranty fix it. I only use it to block the sun off the camper, if its cloudy I don't have much use for it. If it ever breaks like that again I am going to remove it permanently.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #26

They actually have a awning that has a sensor to retract it if you are away for wind & rain events. It is also free from the arms that you can bump into when out. The control arm stays above your head & opens horizontally. It costs a small fortune though.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:07 PM   #27

Tying down the awning

It seems as though the newer electrical awnings are easily damaged in wind gusts!
I’m providing a link to a product you might want to consider if your electrical awning will be extended over grass. https://theclaw.com/product/c-200-aw...horing-system/
I can say from experience that the claw works great on older rv’s with the awning posts removed off the rv & anchored to the claws, however using them on electric awnings is something that presents challenges, mainly carrying a tall enough step ladder to reach the awning corners & figuring an attachment method on the electric awning corners. BTW, the claw works great for anchoring your dog to a grassy area! No more tangles!!
Old_Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #28

I would say No in heavy winds or if you are away for the day and know of heavy winds predicted. I winter in Fl. for 4 months I not only tie down the awning but also have made post to hold up the awning. This method stabilizes the awning. Awning cannot go up or down during a gusty day. I have plans for the stabilizing post ( they are adjustable) if anyone is interested.
Thanks,
2016 F-250 gas Super Duty Super Crew 8 ft. box.
jamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #29

We live in an area where we "enjoy" high winds regularly, I cannot imagine any tie-down system working in western winds. I sometimes go to bed with the awning out, but get nervous sometime during the night and retract the thing. I wonder if even the fancy awnings with automatic wind detection and retraction will withstand really high winds.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #30

Awning tie downs

We like to have our awning out most of the time. So I have the big screw type ground anchors and use steps to snug it down. I also use stiff rubber tie down straps to absorb shocks a bit. However we bring it in overnight or if we leave the trailer. It calms the awning in mild breeze but don’t want to try anything about 15-20 mph.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #31

I'm with you. I liked the manual one also. you could drop the front to cover your chairs and stuff.
ml4moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #32

Life is a risk. I strap mine down while I'm in Florida for the Winter. BUT, I also watch the weather. If T-storms or high winds are predicted, I pull it in. Prudence is key. I use screw anchors and bungee cords to provide a little flex. Only been doing it this way about 20 years so I guess I've been lucky. As they say, 'put in a dime and take a chance'. Good luck and happy shady camping,
anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:54 PM   #33

Think about those tent canopies people put on their decks or over their patios. When a storm comes up, the canopies are sometimes fine. Otherwise they rip apart. The awnings on campers are the same. Personally I wouldn't take the risk. An awning does more than provide shade to sit under. It provides some shade for the side of the camper as well, keeping it cooler. I wouldn't want to lose that when the camper is parked in the sun.
Twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
The awning can fail at many points. It's just a matter of which points fail depending on how the awning has been deployed in a high wind event. The folks in the strap the awning to the ground crowd risk having the awning ripped from the awning rail on the RV.
I'm with Vicr, having see the results of tied down awnings after a high wind in FL during snowbird season I would advise you never to tie it down. Our awning goes in when we go inside for the night, when we leave and when it starts raining.

One would think rain wouldn't be a problem but the lightweight Carefree of Colorado awnings will not shed water even at the steepest angle and the material begins sagging quickly. You can imagine the rest......
Old 06-26-2019, 03:39 PM   #35

I only open awning occasionally and never leave it unsupervised. Awnings shade the trailer and are nice to sit under in the sun and rain, but create a huge wind foil that can do all kinds of damage. Originating from our tenting days we rarely tie down anything without a shock cord to allow flexibility in wind.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojavaphil View Post
Simply put, I am retired and therefore have time to retract it but little money to replace it.
Agreed!!!
Old 06-26-2019, 04:55 PM   #37

I wish when extending/retracting our electric awning that it didn't bounce its way going up and coming down! UGH! There are rollers in the track, mounted the RV, so why does the sliding mechanism make so much noise?? Another MH head scratcher, I guess.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:17 PM   #38

I vote yes

I was in AZ, beautiful calm day, working up on the roof. A gentle wind caused the awning to bellow up then all of the sudden it slammed down mangling both arms. The day went back to being calm immediately after. $700, 2 Fed Ex deliveries and 5 days later, we could leave camp. I now strap down the awning regardless of conditions and have not had any issues since, even when windy. This is a 2016 power awning.
wducat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:05 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
One would think rain wouldn't be a problem but the lightweight Carefree of Colorado awnings will not shed water even at the steepest angle and the material begins sagging quickly. You can imagine the rest......
The electric Carefree of Colorado on our Greyhawk dumped the water even when it was out at a 90 degree angle from the rv wall. That was during our first few trips with the Motorhome. Then I learned how to pitch it and it shed water just fine. Perhaps that was a higher end model, but I really miss that awning. I'd much rather have the electric Carefree on our current TT versus the manual Dometic that we now have.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #40

The awning in, You never now what direction that wind is going to come from next.
Johnnymailman is offline   Reply With Quote