Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #1

Water pump issues

Last weekend we were dry camping and just before we left we ran out of water. We were are city water at next site until today. We filled the fresh water tank before we left and now dry camping again but no water flowing. The water pumpjust keeps running. There are 3 water pump switches, main panel, bathroom and outside shower. The pump only comes on when outside shower switch is on
lefty1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:44 PM   #2

If the pump runs, and no running water, I would assume there is no water pressure. Is the water control correctly set for dry camping?
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:55 PM   #3

Yes, the switches are set to normal, 3&5. I don't know if running out of water caused a problem or not. I see no leaks anywhere. One thing I have noticed was the last week and today when we filled the tank the panel showed full. When we stopped today after driving roughly 50 miles the tank showed 2/3rds.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:56 PM   #4

It appears you may have two separate issues. If the pumps runs, but it does not deliver any water pressure: have you confirmed that the fresh tank is still full...sometimes they can siphon and empty while travelling (I assume you checked your tank level gauge) and if it is full, did you open any faucets to allow the pump to prime (since you know you sucked air into the lines when you ran out last time)?
The other issue is that only the outside shower switch activates the pump. That is not an issue resulting from the tank being full or empty, and has nothing to do with why the pump won't produce pressure. I would refer to your manual to see if there is any sequence that might over-ride the switching options.
For now, try to resolve your lack of pump prime so you can at least get water pressure
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:02 PM   #5

Open a few faucets to gain pressure

Assuming as mentioned you actually have water in your tank and dials in correct position
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:12 PM   #6

Faucet valves are open and pumps running. Nothing yet.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:12 PM   #7

Tank shows 2/3rds, switches set to 3&5 normal.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:06 PM   #8

I have not personally experienced this, but I have read here in the JOF that the knobs on the water control panel can and will come loose, so that when you turn them, the knobs turn but you are not actually moving the valve. So try tightening the two knobs and make sure that when they are pointing at 3 & 5 for using the pump and tank, that the valves are actually pointing to the proper position. Also, I'm assuming that when you had city water that all the faucets worked properly and were not clogged.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:15 PM   #9

Thnx, I did think about that since there is no clear marking as to the position the switch should be in. I will look at that in the morning. All of the faucets worked while on city water the last 5 days.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:35 PM   #10

Maybe check the water filter, be sure it's not clogged

City water PSI may push thru a clogged filter where the pump may not
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty1121 View Post
Tank shows 2/3rds, switches set to 3&5 normal.

I'm not sure what make and model you have - but my 2016 has a "3 and 5 is normal" panel.

Bear in mind -- ANY air leak -- will cause this. Before you replace the pump, you need to make sure all the low point drains are closed. If you've got a filter, that it's sealed up tight. The inlet screens on the check valves are out and not depressing the check valve.

No water with the pump running will happen to us once a year or so. "Burping" the system by opening/closing low-point drains, turning the valves, works for me. Once I flipped the valves to "winterize" and sucked up some fresh water from a bucket to prove to myself that the pump was fine.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:32 PM   #12

hello lefty1121 .. I have the exact same problem .. I lose my pump prime when traveling and the siphon is gone when I try to use the pump. I can re-establish the prime when a pressurized hose is connected (City-mode) however when dry camping I can not scheme a working solution to get the pump to siphon water up to the pump inlet. My model is a 30Z and the vertical height from 1/2 full tank to pump inlet is almost 3ft. If anyone out there knows a trick for re-establishing the pump prime I'd love to know it.

Thanks, Rick
Sophie's Folks is offline   Reply With Quote