Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2021, 10:29 AM   #1

What the heck!!

We are at a repair facility to have the recall work completed on the bracket that holds the leveling hydraulic pump and reservoir in place. While pulling the motorhome into the service pay, THE REFRIGERATOR DOOR FELL OFF. The bracket at the bottom of the door has numerous small hairline cracks and what little piece that was holding the door in place just broke off.

INCREDIBLE
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
We are at a repair facility to have the recall work completed on the bracket that holds the leveling hydraulic pump and reservoir in place. While pulling the motorhome into the service pay, THE REFRIGERATOR DOOR FELL OFF. The bracket at the bottom of the door has numerous small hairline cracks and what little piece that was holding the door in place just broke off.

INCREDIBLE
NORCOLD? If so nothing new...they make a reinforcing bracket, but it was not added as part of normal production. Why not? Who knows....

https://www.amazon.com/Norcold-63416.../dp/B008KWP6MC
Old 03-31-2021, 10:38 AM   #3

The newer fridges don't accept that bracket. I had a email into the NorcoldGuy website inquiring as to the new part - and at the time one had not yet been made. Its been awhile though, might be time to ask again.

At any rate if your fridge is newer this part likely won't fit anymore. I had to send mine back on a 2019 GH.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
NORCOLD? If so nothing new...they make a reinforcing bracket, but it was not added as part of normal production. Why not? Who knows....

https://www.amazon.com/Norcold-63416.../dp/B008KWP6MC
And to make matters more concerning, the reinforcing bracket is not to designed to repair a broken door hinge, it is designed to prevent the door hinge from breaking. I have read where some people used the reinforcing bracket after the door hinge broke but with mixed results, many people have had to purchase a new door as the hinge is built-in to the door. ~CA
Old 04-01-2021, 04:14 AM   #5

Unfortunately not uncommon. I had my lower hinge break on my 2018, luckily on the last camping trip of the season last year.
I did order a replacement door and $30 hinge reinforcement! I was completely blown away that the "reinforcement" is just a piece of plastic!?
Needless to say I'll be minimizing the amount of weight I'm storing on the door from now on.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheDJ View Post
Unfortunately not uncommon. I had my lower hinge break on my 2018, luckily on the last camping trip of the season last year.
I did order a replacement door and $30 hinge reinforcement! I was completely blown away that the "reinforcement" is just a piece of plastic!?
Needless to say I'll be minimizing the amount of weight I'm storing on the door from now on.
Now that is a different part then I knew was available. Nice !

Old 04-01-2021, 04:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Now that is a different part then I knew was available. Nice !
FYI, I have no real world testing to see if this expensive piece of plastic will actually help. I guess it's piece of mind!
Old 04-01-2021, 05:45 AM   #8

Norcold refer bracket

Any chance for a picture of that Norcold bracket ?

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_kleinschnitz View Post
Any chance for a picture of that Norcold bracket ?
Yes, will post shortly
Old 04-01-2021, 06:43 AM   #10

I ordered it. I always reinforced the bracket on any Norcold I've had. I often wonder if the hinges are prone to cracking b/c Jayco puts the wood insert on the door to fancy it up.

At any rate, I'll have the part to give my door a fighting chance. I figure 40 bucks proactively spent is way better then me cussing up a storm when the door falls off while on vacation. Cheap peace of mind.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:12 AM   #11
Site Team

If you order the reinforcement hinge you can make an instant friend by offering the opposite side hinge support to someone. They send both left and right hinge supports so you will have the opposite side that is useless to you.

Someone on JOF gave me mine years ago.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:19 AM   #12
Site Team

Here is an old thread on this same subject: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...off-38121.html see post # 58 from 2016!

Thanks to hoppers4 for giving me his un needed half years ago.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:19 AM   #13

Quote:
I ordered it. I always reinforced the bracket on any Norcold I've had. I often wonder if the hinges are prone to cracking b/c Jayco puts the wood insert on the door to fancy it up.
Back when the doors first started cracking (2010) JAYCO was not the only brand with the issue. I personally feel it depends on who installs the panel at the factories and what angle they hold the door at when putting it back on the hinge pin. If it's not almost vertical the hinge could start to crack.

So 11 years later the same problem still exists and it makes no sense.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #14

As requested, here's the "new and improved" $30 hinge support which, in my opinion, does nothing to resolve the issue of having plastic hinges on the door itself.

Note: There is no "spare" support with this kit, just the one piece.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210401_142742192.jpg   PXL_20210401_143412087.jpg   PXL_20210401_143349724.jpg  
Old 04-01-2021, 09:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Back when the doors first started cracking (2010) JAYCO was not the only brand with the issue. I personally feel it depends on who installs the panel at the factories and what angle they hold the door at when putting it back on the hinge pin. If it's not almost vertical the hinge could start to crack.

So 11 years later the same problem still exists and it makes no sense.

EDIT: Just for curiosity I went back and looked at pics of the Norcold Door that was in our 2001 MH to verify and it also had the oak wood panel. The broken hinges didn't start until almost 8 years later so it has to be a NORCOLD design/manufacturing problem.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheDJ View Post
As requested, here's the "new and improved" $30 hinge support which, in my opinion, does nothing to resolve the issue of having plastic hinges on the door itself.

Note: There is no "spare" support with this kit, just the one piece.
So really this is just a plastic sleeve the slides over the assembly to buttress it up a bit ....

Quite spendy for a plastic sleeve, and of course I'm going to buy the stupid thing anyway b/c there is no alternative.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:29 AM   #17

Yeah I learned first hand. Our door fell off in my wife's hands as I was driving last summer. Bought a new door and then the Norcold rep told me about the reinforcement bracket. We used that and now I have a door for my fridge if I ever need it. my DW was supposed to take care of the return. That never happened...
NjNewbie30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:36 AM   #18

I keep looking but apparently the replacement lower door hinge for the Norcold N8X isn t available. Has anybody found one yet. I might be looking in the wrong place. 2020 26XD.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:38 AM   #19

I can't find one either, but at least the sleeve mentioned above gives some extra strength to that area.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:08 PM   #20

Cracked refer. hinge.

I went out and checked mine. It is a Model N8X.

Sure enough, if you blow up the photo I can see a crack forming.

Therefore I bought the protection bracket off amazon.

I am skeptical of another plastic bracket.

You can find videos on YouTube of folks that made a metal add-on bracket that screws to the bottom of the door.

In addition to the Norcold rip-off plastic bracket, I am going to design and fab a metal one to keep in the RV in case the Norcold one fails while I am underway.

I will share the design when done.

The first photo shows the start of a crack and the second (upside down) is the lower hinge.
Attached Thumbnails
LowerHingeCrack.jpg   PXL_20210401_144934631.jpg  

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote