Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2019, 06:27 AM   #1

Where, oh where is the flash drive usb aux port?

Hello fellow Garmin owners. We have a 2018 Greyhawk 30x.

Can't find the usb aux port...not the charging port...for our music flash/thumb drive. I have four days of music on my stick and can't listen to it.

Also there have been some posts that warn "Do not plug anything into the usb port!"

Can someone please explain this? Where do we plug in for the software updates? Why is there a port if we aren't supposed to use it?

Thanks for any help!
Sheltietreasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:13 AM   #2

In our 2018 Greyhawk 29MV we have a Garman/Fusion contraption that is pretty much worthless. Prior to getting the 29MV, I prepared a flash drive with about 60 hours of music, which works wonderfully when plugged into the USB port in our Chevy Equinox. But no, it doesn't work when plugged into the USB port in the Jayco. In reading the on-line instructions for the Garman, you need something like an MP3 player to push the music into the Garman and then out the speakers. And I don't have an MP3 player. And with the dinky antenna located under the huge front overhang, you can pick up a local FM station for maybe 10 blocks before you loose the signal.

I like the fact that the GPS portion of the unit is made specifically for RV's, but other than that, you can't see the screen unless you're sitting in front of the dog box, and adjusting the volume is impossible without stopping (what ever happened to KNOBS?). And yes, we also heard that you shouldn't use the USB port for charging anything or it will mess up the Garman programming, so we don't. We did a Garman update once, and if I remember correctly, there is a port on the portable Garman unit for doing just that.

I also know that there are owners out there who love their Garman/Fusion units. I'm one of those who don't. Prior to a trip, I take the portable Garman GPS from our Chevy and use it in the 29MV so I can see the screen, and I don't listen to music. In my opinion, the Garman/Fusion was definitely the wrong choice for a motorhome.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:38 AM   #3

Thanks so much for the reply...even though the news is a bummer!

I have an iPod which may work, but I will have to get cables, find out where they go and reprogram it with less music than my flash drive.

Wouldn't it be nice is Garmin paid attention to consumer complaints and fixed these problems!

Thanks again for the response!
Old 10-30-2019, 07:45 AM   #4

There are many, many threads on this site about the Garmin units. It wouldn't hurt, if you have some time, to search and read some of the comments and suggestions about the Garmin/Fusion (if that is what you have). And if you haven't, read the online directions and instructions for your specific model. It will tell you about updating and how it is supposed to work.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:45 AM   #5

P.S. I did read in the Garmin instructions that you are supposed to plug your flash drive into the usb aux. They said see your vehicle owner's manual for that. Couldn't find it through Ford. But since Garmin sold so many of thes to Ford or Jayco, you would think they could tell you where it is on the Ford E450!

I was wondering if we should try putting the flash drive into the port on the remote? But then it won't connect to the docking station.

I was also wondering if there is a usb aux port adapter that fits into the cigarette lighter, but I am not sure that is connected to the Garmin or the speakers?
Old 10-30-2019, 07:50 AM   #6

Yes, there are many posts about the Garmin...most of them negative. Are you listening Garmin? And, I have spent hours on their "manuals" and Utube videos. I also looked at Utube videos on how to adapt the 12 volt ports or usb power port to usb aux. No luck. But, I can tell you all about how to get your dashboard torn apart so you can get to the wiring, etc. behind it!

Thanks so much for trying!
Old 10-30-2019, 08:06 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltietreasure View Post

I was also wondering if there is a usb aux port adapter that fits into the cigarette lighter, but I am not sure that is connected to the Garmin or the speakers?
What do you have on the dashboard between the two cigarette lighter jacks? I don't have a Garmin, but the crappy Soundstream, and I have a USB port (under that cover) between those two outlets that I plug my flash drive in for music.
Attached Thumbnails
dash.jpg  
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
What do you have on the dashboard between the two cigarette lighter jacks? I don't have a Garmin, but the crappy Soundstream, and I have a USB port (under that cover) between those two outlets that I plug my flash drive in for music.
The dash of our 29MV is identical. We have the two cigarette lighter jacks and the USB port in middle. But the USB port with the Garman/Fusion does not work like yours. I have a feeling that your Soundstream is more like a normal radio/sound system than our Garmin/Fusions, which is why your USB port works with your stick. I think our Garmins were more a GPS and then Fusion came along and added a poor representation of an audio system that mainly controls the speakers and doesn't do much else (well, the three cameras are hooked to it also). I'm in the market for an inexpensive MP3 player to see if that will send my music from my stick, through the USB port, into the G/F and then out the speakers.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:39 AM   #9

Ditto on the USB port. I am thinking of trying that one even though I have been warned not to. Can't I just reset everything and update? Apparently, I have to buy a dedicated flash drive first though.

If Love to Travel would please keep us updated on the MP3 player, that would be much appreciated. What kind? Cable? Where did you plug it in? If it works, can you still adjust sound or mute if things get hairy on the road ahead? Photos are also helpful.

Thanks for chiming in, Retired One! You may have stimulated someone, with a fix, to help us out. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post

Under mine is an HDMI port, not a USB. I have a 2017 GreyHawk with a Jenson unit.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:17 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
I'm in the market for an inexpensive MP3 player to see if that will send my music from my stick, through the USB port, into the G/F and then out the speakers.
Kinda of another work around is getting the MP3 player and a FM transmitter that plugs into the cig plug, and into the headphone jack of the MP3 player, and transmits to an unused FM frequency on the stereo.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #12

I just saw a video of a Bluetooth MP3 for your car. You plug it into the lighter, set it and your radio (Garmin?) on a staion that isn't broadcasting. They showed the feature where you accost or reject calls over the radio, but not the MP3 music playing. Go figure. The guy said you can plug in a flash card. What is a flash card? Same as a flash drive? Also, it had two charging ports so you can also be charging two devices while using it. He played music from his phone so that works too.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:49 AM   #13

I play off the Garmin USB port on mine all the time, the same one you do update through. When you plug the USB stick into the port, you then hit music and then select USB from the icons along the bottom of the screen and they will start playing. Same thing if I plug my Apple phone in, have to select Ipod Icon. This unit is basically an Android unit and the only part of this unit that is Garmin is the software for GPS, everything else is Fusion. I really like the unit after doing and keeping up on all the updates and taking the time to learn it. There are different menu options depending on if the tablet is docked in the unit or removed. The only annoying thing to me is the warning on the bottom of the backup camera that always stay on. The key thing is Update the software through Garmin Express.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I play off the Garmin USB port on mine all the time, the same one you do update through. When you plug the USB stick into the port, you then hit music and then select USB from the icons along the bottom of the screen and they will start playing.
Rusty,

Those are the exact steps I used both before and after updating the software and I still don't get any music from the flash drive through the speakers. You are talking about the USB port on the dash between the two cigarette lighter outlets, correct?

Old 10-30-2019, 01:02 PM   #15

I stole this picture from "retired one" thanks

The aux port is that 1/8 headphone Jack on the right

And everyone is right this NAV/radio/GPS unit really stinks. You cant see it and it is almost impossible to operate while driving. even bluetoothing pandora to the unit doesn't work well i started wearing a head set instead
Attached Thumbnails
Inkeddash_LI.jpg  
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:04 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berjr View Post
I stole this picture from "retired one" thanks

The aux port is that 1/8 headphone Jack on the right
That Aux port on the Soundstream isn't operational.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #17

I am so confused. Rusty you said...I play off the Garmin USB port on mine all the time, the same one you do update through. When you plug the USB stick...

Where do you plug it in? Where is your USB port? Any chance of a photo? Thanks!

I am a bit worried, because I haven't heard from a Greyhawk 30x owner and it seems like there is a lot of variation in dashboards and companies who supply the device.

I had planned to perform the updates, but I live in a rural area and there is no high speed internet which is needed to install Garmin Express. I suspect I would need high speed to install updates to maps and software as well?

We are lucky we have internet at all!
Old 10-30-2019, 05:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltietreasure View Post
I am so confused. Rusty you said...I play off the Garmin USB port on mine all the time, the same one you do update through. When you plug the USB stick...

Where do you plug it in? Where is your USB port? Any chance of a photo? Thanks!

I am a bit worried, because I haven't heard from a Greyhawk 30x owner and it seems like there is a lot of variation in dashboards and companies who supply the device.

I had planned to perform the updates, but I live in a rural area and there is no high speed internet which is needed to install Garmin Express. I suspect I would need high speed to install updates to maps and software as well?

We are lucky we have internet at all!
Mine happens to be a Seneca and my USB port was mounted in a small bracket to the bottom of the dash. This is just a USB extension that plugs into a USB port in the back of the head unit. The post on the back of the head unit is labeled “USB 2.1A interfaces and charges smartphones and USB devices”. I am able to use this USB port to update the head unit, plug a phone in to charge or play music off of or use a USB stick to play music off of.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #19

I have a 2018 Greyhawk 30X an have the same system you have in your 30X.
And i have no problems with our unit at all��
When i bought mine there was an update available, so i followed the instructions (from the manual i downloaded online) and got a stick to download the update then plugged it into the usb port on dash between the two cig. Outlets then followed rest of instructions an uploaded the info. Really quite simple.
Good luck with yours
Gchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #20

Try this link...
https://fusion-link.com/garmin

Scroll down to the USB tab, click and watch the video. I hope it helps!