Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #1

Winter Driving - Traction Devices

Crossing the Cascade mountain pass in the winter traction devices (chains) are often required. Has anyone driven their Seneca with cable chains? recommendations. I am concerned with the limited clearance around the year wheel wells.
meyerjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #2

Many states require you to carry chains or other approved traction devices during winter months. We have a set of chains for our Seneca so we are compliant with the law.

We have NO INTENTIONS of ever putting them on our Seneca... we will wait out the storm until the chain requirement is lifted. As you said, the wheel well does not have enough clearance on the outer tire.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerjohnc View Post
Crossing the Cascade mountain pass in the winter traction devices (chains) are often required. Has anyone driven their Seneca with cable chains? recommendations. I am concerned with the limited clearance around the year wheel wells.
Did you ever come up with a solution? We also want to start staying in snow parks and go snowmobiling in our Seneca. Like SloPoke says we really have no intentions of putting them on but also hate to get stranded by a freak storm that may come through. In my searching I came across the Autosock which the concept looks nice as they are light, easy to store, extremely low clearance and would not destroy the skirt or side of the coach if thrown, but there if needed in an emergency. They look like a good alternative to “must carry traction devices” and a get out of trouble choice. Reviews are a hit and miss but the seem to work decently but sounds like you don’t want to run them on dry pavement very long.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:57 AM   #4

Home | Insta-Chain | Automatic Ice Chains
maybe that would work
Old 02-24-2019, 10:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Autosock w
Autosocks are approved in Colorado and CDOT doesn't mess around, so I'm thinking they have to be good.

I agree with the others, first option is always: Stay put, park and wait it out.
Options 2, 3 and 4 are : Stay put, park and wait it out.

If you get to Option 38, then pop the Autosocks on and drive just long enough until you can: stay put, park and wait it out.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:48 PM   #6

My biggest concern that I have seen happen many times at snow parks is an RV will park for say a week and it has been snowing and them having issues getting out to dry pavement. Several times I have had to strap up to them with my pickup and assist them to clear dry pavement. I’m thinking the Autosocks would be a good option for this.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 PM   #7

I had not found an alternative - I like the Autosock idea though. I have driven across the passes with packed snow and had n oproblems but prefer not to get stuck with no options.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:05 PM   #8

Rustynuts - Where do you snowmobile? We use Three-Creeks outside of Sisters and Wanoga near Mt. Bachelor.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:05 PM   #9

We go to Diamond Lake, love the ride up to Crater Lake. From there we can ride over to Crescent Lake area too. Used to ride years ago as a kid and just recently got back into it 4 years ago. I think I’m going to order a set of the Autosocks, not even sure there would even be clearance for chains with the fender skirt.
Attached Thumbnails
01AE799A-BFBF-425C-A338-4BB0C926A51D.jpg  

Old 03-07-2019, 10:51 PM   #10

Well I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to post a reply saying Autosocks Work or not and they will be an emergency last resort but I will be carrying a set. I did open them up and they are very nice quality.
Attached Thumbnails
C71EC142-1B17-4646-9235-9159A53093DB.jpg