Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2021, 05:03 PM   #1

Wiring a Rear Camera

The rear camera on my class C crapped out and I am in the process of replacing it. I am trying to fish a wire through the same location, but having a difficult time. The fish tape can only go up or down as the left and right side appears to have some obstruction.

I get down only as far as the rear window (about 10") and it stops and won't move any further. It appears to hit some polystyrene foam. Anybody have any tricks or tips? My rig is a 2021 Redhawk 31F.

I have also tried to determine what the 5 wires does. I did manage to determine the black wire is the video feed to the dash head unit. The plug under the dash only has 3 pins. The other side is 12V+, ground, and 2 pairs to female RCA plugs.

I'm stumped.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:48 PM   #2

I used a piece of a metal coat hanger to poke through the foam.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
I used a piece of a metal coat hanger to poke through the foam.
Thanks. I know the window frame is in the way, but I need the fish tape to turn to the right about 2" and then continue downward. What I would really need is that scope with a cutting laser a surgeon uses to perform lithotripsy. LOL!

I got the Harbor Freight fiberglass fish tape, but the metal end makes it too stiff to feed down the hole. The flat metal fish tape actually could go down further.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:03 AM   #4

Why Dont you replace the camera with the original?. When the same thing happened I noticed there was a Gasket sent with this new camera. Without this rear gasket water can get into camera. " Factory was Too Lazy to install" I know $200 seems high but atleast you wont have to pull a new cable ? and you get a new 60 foot cable. Ted

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...-camera-1.html
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgroves526 View Post
Why Dont you replace the camera with the original?. When the same thing happened I noticed there was a Gasket sent with this new camera. Without this rear gasket water can get into camera. " Factory was Too Lazy to install" I know $200 seems high but atleast you wont have to pull a new cable ? and you get a new 60 foot cable. Ted

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...-camera-1.html
Thanks. My camera is not integrated with the 3rd brake light. It is a separate part below it. The camera itself is a round ball in a rubber socket...kind of like an eyeball. I'm not sure if I want to replace with the same low quality camera, but the idea of not having to run new wires sounds enticing though.