Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #1

Camping World

So we were are the RV show in Minneapolis and went into the CW area and one of the salesmen attached himself to us (there were very few people there on Thursday morning). He asked what unit I had and I informed him of my 2016 377. He then proceeded to tell me the difference in floor boards and started telling me how the other camper was so superior and our floor would separate in 1 year. I then had to firmly correct him telling him my unit is 3 years old and of Jaycos 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. I told him that if he is going to bash his competition then he should get his facts right. We then went into another unit confident that he would not follow us and the salesman in that 5th wheel was telling the folks in there that they would have no problems pulling this 12,500 lb dry weight trailer with their F150! I grabbed my wife and told her we had to go before I got into trouble and this is why we don't deal with Camping World.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:04 PM   #2

Those sales people, especially at the rv shows, are worse than a school of piranhas! We were at the rv show in Novi, Mi. last nite and there was a large rv center there. This one salesman was a total bonehead. A couple we camp with is looking at upgrading and we were there to see what would fit their bill. He just wouldnt leave them alone. I had to step in and start talking to him about a larger unit they had there. Making him think I was really interested and totally dumb about rv's. They will tell you any kind of bullcrap just to make a sale. This guy LOVED to bash other models that they dont sell too.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:43 AM   #3

This happens not just at Camping World, but basically at most dealerships. Truck and RV salesman will tell you whatever it takes to make a sale of whatever they have on the lot. Do your own homework on specs. It's best to wait and order what your really want rather than settle for what's on the lot if it's not exactly what you want. Also it's best to over spec a tow vehicle - you never have too much truck. Ask me how I know. LOL
La Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #4

When looking at RV's the first thing to ask a salesperson is, What
RV do you own, make, model & year. Most of them don't even own
an RV or have never owned one.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #5

RV Shows Rule Number One: Don't buy anything at a show:

You can get a much better price on a cold snowy day in winter when their sales are in the toilet.

Why buy any unit that has been at a show that has more foot traffic, door opened and slammed than you would do to it in two years?

Camping World infuriates me that they will give a better price if you finance through them.
Thing I heard from the crowd walking through last weekend show at St Louis were people talking more about payments than floor plans, build quality.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #6

Called CW a few months ago because of course they have the lowest price. I've heard horror stories but I can take care of myself, so I let the conversation go all the way to "how much will you be financing?" and that's where I saw where they make back that low, low price. I can't remember exactly what the figures were but at the time their interest rate was about 2.5% higher than anything else I had been quoted. Just like a car dealer playing four square with me.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #7

On the other hand... dealerships spend a lot of money on shows, and, if the pickings have been poor, they start to get a little anxious.

We turned up on the last day of a small show, "just to look around", and found they were almost giving stuff away, just to make their numbers. Apparently, the company had brought in extra people, so we found ourselves talking to a man from marketing, not sales.. who wasn't quite such a wheeler-dealer.

They offered us an insane trade-in on our old pop-up, sight unseen (in fairness, I did tell them it was old and that i was fed up with repairing it all the time)

Then they offered us completely stupid financing.. so, in the end, we walked away with our current Jayfeather, and a slight feeling of "Did that just happen?"

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #8

I ordered mine while at an RV show. Was going to buy the floor model but it had already sold. Manufacturers give the dealers big discounts at the show hence the low prices. I got an insane price on my trade in sight unseen [as much as I paid for it 2 years prior]. Also got a cover, maxxair vents and slide toppers thrown in on a price I simply couldn't pass up. Paid cash for the difference so no financing. I bought from CW of Indianapolis. Haven't been back since.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #9

Camping World CEO said he did not want my business so I do not give it to them.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:50 PM   #10

I hate Camping World. I only buy RV anti-freeze there or a part if I'm super crunched for time.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by putz View Post
When looking at RV's the first thing to ask a salesperson is, What
RV do you own, make, model & year. Most of them don't even own
an RV or have never owned one.
YEAH.... and the next question to ask is...…… What tow vehicle do you tow this trailer with?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #12

CW will never get a penny from me
Sisilija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #13

I’ve never understood buying a floor model at the shows. Those things get banged around by the hundreds and hundreds of people over the course of the 3 days the show is going on. I kept seeing SOLD signs on units with dozens of people still streaming in and out the short time I stood there. At every show you see broken drawers, damaged curtains and bent stairs from the abuse.

Contrarily, when I bought my new camper I signed the papers, walked out with the salesman as he put the SOLD sign on it, locked the doors and compartments, and raised the stairs. That way I knew there weren’t people going in and out misusing my new purchase. Call me picky but I wouldn’t buy a car and then let people test drive it all week before I picked it up.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #14

We too wanted a pristine, locked up, never off the lot unit. Our first trip, the grand kids wanted to stay with us in the new trailer. I think after about the first hour, there was no difference between that, and one from a show.
davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #15

Ok if you don’t get parts atCW, where do you go. Just curious.
Dancingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingqueen View Post
Ok if you don’t get parts atCW, where do you go. Just curious.
Amazon Prime
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Amazon Prime
X2. And usually at better prices and free shipping.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #18

CW is absolutely insane with their pricing and then freight charges. Freight charges amounted to over 20%. No thank you. God Bless Amazon.
Tow Vehicle 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Limited
Cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:12 PM   #19

After enduring salespersons at an RV show, I did another few weeks of research and, after figuring out what was closest to what I was looking for, getting price quotes from a few RV wholesale outfits, etc., I actually ended up working with a salesman at our nearby CW, who was was very courteous, professional, knowledgeable, no pressure, answered all of our questions, IOW, he was one of the best salespersons we've ever dealt with. I went back about a week later, armed with the RV wholesaler quotes, and cut a deal for a couple K under show price levels. It was still about $1500 more than what I could have driven 800 to 1100 miles to go get from a wholesaler, but I had decided, mainly after learning about things on here and other RV sites, that I wanted to buy local if at all possible to get better priority for scheduling warranty and other service work (and I've had a number of warranty things worked on thus far the first year). I'm not exactly thrilled with the service department at this dealership (won't go into all of the details), but the dealership treated me well during the sale, and has been fair and even gone above and beyond on one or two things that needed resolutions. So, all things considered, I've decided I'm about as satisfied with this particular CW as I could expect to ever be with any other particular RV dealership. Sounds like I'm in the minority when it comes to CW experiences, but if so, then lucky me, I guess. For what it's worth.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:49 PM   #20

We are lifetime members of Good Sam's and so get a lot of contact from Camping World. We ordered a pull-on RV cover based on the salesman's recommendation based on our RV, including length. We picked up the RV cover and when we got home I put it over the RV. Apparently the cover was one size fits everything by being way too big. I took it back to Camping World. We very rarely go to camping world even though a new one is being built about 10 miles from our home.
Also, pretty much all salespeople spend their time trying to sell to you whatever they have. They don't care what you want. I found this to be especially true at a local Chevy dealer when I said that I wanted a battery powered Chevy Bolt. They did not have one and tried to sell something off the lot.
BobK is offline   Reply With Quote