Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2018, 07:54 AM   #1

Jayco Seneca road noise

I just bought a new 2018 Seneca 37FS. During the test drive I did not drive it on the interstate because of the construction in the area. Big mistake! The salesman, James, assured me that at highway speeds it was very quiet. That is not the case. At speeds over 50MPH the high pitched noise is almost eafening. On the 3 hour drive home I was wanting a set of ear plugs. At first I thought the noise was tire whine, but it never changed with the change of road surface. The noise starts at 50 and gets louder with increase in speed.

Are all of the Freightliner drive trains this noisey, or is there a problem with this one? I love the ride, but I don't think I can put up with this noise. The radio and voice from the nav system is completly useless and cannot be heard over the high frequency whine.
metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #2

Plugging the holes on the Mirror mounts on the doors quiets the noise down dramatically. I had read about this before we picked ours up and took Gorilla tape with me. We left the dealer late and I didnt bother with it but after a bit on the Highway we pulled into the first rest stop we came across and put tape on the holes I also checked my door seals with the doors shut on a piece of paper and there are several spots the seal isn't even touching the door and can slide paper in and out. There are many posts about this if you search and many people are having the doors readjusted at Freightliner under warranty which I will be checking into.

The high frequency whine can be from the nav system. There have been many fixes posted but the only one that worked for me is to unplug the Yellow Video cable that runs to the TV. Some have unplugged by taking dash apart but I just unplugged it from the TV on the back and the whine was completely gone.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #3

Jayco Seneca road noise

Rustynuts - the high frquency noise has nothing to do with the nav or radio. The system was turned off because the exterior noise was so loud I could not hear it. The sound is more like a tire whine, engine whine, or a bearing noise.

Thanks for the tip on the mirrors. I will try it but can't believe that much noise would come from those mounting holes. If that solves the problem I will look for a more suitable fix like a hole plug.
metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #4

I used 9/16 and 3/4 nylon hole plugs sometimes called locking plugs off ebay to fill my mounting holes. You will be surprised the difference it makes. Other than the wind noise and the Garmin whine we dont have any other noise from the tires or drive train, we listen to music and talk all the time with no problem.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote