Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #1

'18 377 nose high

What can be done to lower the front of my trailer? Can the pin box be raised?I measured the trailer and it looks about 13'9". I did this eyeball as I don't have a long enough level. I have a Ram 3500 srw megacab with the factory pucks, airbags and a Q20 slider. Truck doesn't squat pulls awesome. I use the alt trailer height as well. The Q20 hitch cant be lowered anymore and I think the limiting factor in it is the adapter that added 1 1/2". Is there anyone with this truck and trailer? Really don't want to buy a new hitch $$$ unless it cures my stress.
dhornauer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #2

First find out how much you need.

Find a level area with the truck and trailer together and measure from the ground to the top of the bed rail. Add 6” to that. That is measurement #1.

Now chock the wheels and disconnect the truck. Level the trailer with the front jack’s only. Measure from the ground to the bottom of the overhang. That is measurement #2

#1 - #2 = lift needed at axles.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #3

[QUOTE=dhornauer67;675058]What can be done to lower the front of my trailer? Can the pin box be raised?

Yes but you need to maintain about 6" of bed rail clearance.

You may be able to adjust your suspension to the lower hole.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #4

13’9 !!!!
That’s high. That’s real high.

Everything that 2naeagle said.
But don’t be lowering your axels if your already at 13’9

You better check that number again.

And don’t go less then 6” on the bed rails.
Maybe you should let that truck squat 3 inches.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhornauer67 View Post
What can be done to lower the front of my trailer? Can the pin box be raised?I measured the trailer and it looks about 13'9". I did this eyeball as I don't have a long enough level. I have a Ram 3500 srw megacab with the factory pucks, airbags and a Q20 slider. Truck doesn't squat pulls awesome. I use the alt trailer height as well. The Q20 hitch cant be lowered anymore and I think the limiting factor in it is the adapter that added 1 1/2". Is there anyone with this truck and trailer? Really don't want to buy a new hitch $$$ unless it cures my stress.
Those Ram trucks are taller than most..Buy a Chevy. JK
in the wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:38 PM   #6

I have a 2016 Ram Dually long bed. Just purchased this spring and pull a 2015 Eagle Premier 361REQS. Use a Curt Q24hitch in factory pucks. Have 5 inches of clearance on bed rails. Was concerned that I might be nose high but truck squats enough to pull level. Measure 13' 2" on top of front air conditioner that is low profile.
camper59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:53 AM   #7

I will check the numbers that 2naEagle suggested. This is a 2018. No axle adjustment holes as it is factory Moryde 3000. The tires are huge 255. So lowering trailer axle may cause tire rubbing. I will measure the bed distance but it is ginormous. Think in the 8-9 range. Also Ram with factory airbags, This thing will not squat unless I move the slider back. There looks to be an extra hole in the pin box. Being the newer rubber Moryde, it also looks lower than previous Northpoints.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:
I will check the numbers that 2naEagle suggested. This is a 2018. No axle adjustment holes as it is factory Moryde 3000. The tires are huge 255. So lowering trailer axle may cause tire rubbing. I will measure the bed distance but it is ginormous. Think in the 8-9 range. Also Ram with factory airbags, This thing will not squat unless I move the slider back. There looks to be an extra hole in the pin box. Being the newer rubber Moryde, it also looks lower than previous Northpoints.
With the trailer hooked up to the truck you can measure the fender wells at the front and rear axle.
I'm looking for a level tow and adjust air bags accordingly.

The MORryde 3000 is not where you do the adjusting. It is at the front and rear shackle mount.

6" is plenty. 8-9 is just too much.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:25 AM   #9

Take some pictures. We like pictures
Old 08-10-2018, 06:58 AM   #10

I can take some pictures of the suspension and hookup later. The one pic here does show the nose in the air and lots of daylight between bed and trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9580.jpg  
Old 08-10-2018, 07:04 AM   #11

Very cool.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Lowering the axels means it would RAISE the trailer. Your tires would be further from rubbing and it would level the traiker a little bit
The holes are in the spring hangers, not near the MorRyde. But, like you said, maybe there are no holes.

If you have 9” of bedrail space, then there’s your problem. Probably why your measuring 13’ 9” of height.
Lower that 3” and you’ll have 13’6 and a much leveler trailer.
Raise the pin box or lower the hitch.
I can’t believe your truck doesn’t squat. The thing must ride like a tank with no trailer hooked up.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:10 AM   #13

You need to get a straight 2 x 4 and put your level on top of it on your front AC ( IF that's the highest point on your trailer)

Then get someone to use a tape measure from ground to bottom of 2 x 4

Otherwise all you are doing is guessing............on your (REAL) Height
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #14

Leveling is next to impossible with the truck/trailer configurations these days unless you go Ford dually (which seem to have the lowest box height) or Ram/GMC brands and flat decks.
We settled with 5" nose high and with the length of these trailers its not really that much of an angle. This is with 3 inches truck squat (truck pretty much rides level), trailer springs put in lower hanger holes and 7.5" of end gate clearance.
I know the rule of thumb clearance is said to be 6" and if your typically in paved and quite level places 6" is fine and it 'should' get you by but 6" wouldn't be enough for us at some campgrounds we go to or some gas stations that we have entered.I would be careful on how much clearance you leave yourself. With the 7.5" we have still come way too close to touching many times.
It seems your biggest concern is your total height though and have to make that right (13' 6") for a good portion of the US and all of Canada. Like I said..its a challenge for a lot of us..what you gain doing one thing you lose in another area.
Just my humble addition..
Cheers
Watsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #15

On a sort-of-related topic... My desk, at work, is right by a window, commanding a fine view of I-75, just a couple of hundred feet away.

I see all kinds of RVs go by, I am often amazed by how badly-trimmed many of them seem to be. 5th-wheels seem to be particularly bad, riding nose-high by what looks like a couple of feet in some cases. This means that the tail is practically dragging on the ground, so I have to wonder what happens if they go over a kerb or even a bumpy road...

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #16

Being out of level also puts more weight on the rear axels. The axel weight rating is already almost maxed out and the Chinese bearings and seals already suck.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #17

From the picture it looks like you could lower the hitch a couple inches and still have enough clearance at the bed rails.

Oh how I wish the pickup mfgs would put lower bed rails on the trucks. I was so tempted to get a flatbed for my F250. My trailer is about 13'4" when hitched up, mainly due to being about 6" nose high because of the bed rails of the truck. I should not have to jack up the trailer just because the truck mfgs think high bed rails are 'fashionable'.

And, yes, I carefully watch the signs for overhead clearance. I know from previous experience that an underpass labeled 14ft may be less than than when you add in bumps and such.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:36 PM   #18

Easy way to solve your problem. Get rid of the adapter and just get new legs for the hitch. They sell legs that’ll fit your puck system for about $200

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #19

We have the same setup but our 3500 does not have the air ride. We have a 18 377 RLBH and a 16 3500 mega cab SRW. We have the level kit, 2" blocks in the rear and 35" tires. We are riding at 13' 9" with roughly 7-8" bed clearance with a Pull Rite Auto slider with Ram picture frame adapter. I will be removing the 2" blocks and the level kit to help save room but I do not think it will be enough. I am currently researching the Demco auto slider which has a couple inches of head adjustment and the Andersen Ultimate Hitch (concerned on cab clearance). Both will help afford a 1-2" of clearance. Also might do the Mor Ryde 4000 upgrade which will lift the camper helping with leveling it out as long as I drop the front the same amount of distance.

Please post what you end up doing to correct your height issue.

2018 Jayco North Point 377RLBH
Cruze108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #20

Not sure about where you live and travel, but keep in mind that in New England, bridges can go a low as 13'6" and not be considered low clearance. My F350 had enough squat with my Eagle that it rides almost level. If you can lower the hitch (?) and still be close to 6" clearance with the bed it may be your best bet.
Dqx2 is offline   Reply With Quote