Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #1

2016 vs 2017 Jayco Quality

I currently have a 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS. I have been having quite a bit of trouble out of this camper including a total awning replacement, rear delamination and now delamination is beginning on the entry door side. Jayco has declined to warranty the delamination on the rear and I am waiting to hear back from them on the side. My dealer has joked that I should trade this camper in on a new one and I won't have to deal with this any more. I guess I'm looking for thoughts on this. I have had 3 Jayco Travel Trailers without any issues of any kind. I'm not sure I want to trade up for another FW unless I just got a lemon of a camper.

There have been some smaller issues ( tear in the floor, gas shocks going out, vent fan, etc) but the big ticket items that aren't covered worry me. By the way, my entire roof has been covered in Eternabond. That didn't matter because my roof wasn't leaking. It was the rear lights and the screws on the awning that leaked.
davisenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Why are they not willing to cover the delamination on the rear?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #3

Because it was my fault that I didn't reseal the entire exterior every 6 months. I think the side is leaking because of the awning replacement which is why their deliberation is taking a little longer. But the rear is my responsibility.

Over the past year i have purchased a new truck, new car, and a camper. I'm beginning to think my expectations for "new" are too high.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:44 AM   #4

I was wondering about this yesterday too.

2016 was the last year Jayco was independent. Is their quality going up, down, or staying about the same under Thor management?

I'm still happy with our camper and no plans to sell it, I just recall my salesman telling me I was buying one of the last 'Real Jayco's' around. Whatever that really means, I don't know. It's probably still the luck of the draw if you get a really good unit, or a problematic one.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:09 AM   #5

I am on our second Jayco, first was a 2012 Jay Flight 32BHDS, and we had zero issues in 4yrs of ownership.

We upgraded to a Jayco Eagle 325BHQS last July and I cannot say the same, but I can say all problems we have had are due to the components and second hand company's.

1. Toilet foot pedal stuck and flooded master bedroom.

2. Norcold fridge had recall issues that should have been repaired at dealer before delivery, but wasn't, and left us without a fridge for 2 weeks.

3. Dometic awnings, both awnings (we have secondary awning on living room slide) have had motor failures in the first year, and one had only been extracted/retracted less than 10 times.

4. Just recently notice 1 tear each in the roof in front of the main and secondary a/c's. Looks to have been done when airs were installed and it's my fault for not checking roof at delivery if that is indeed when the damage occurred. I will repair with eternabond and hope damage is minimal.

5. Had to replace GFCI outlet in kitchen due to a bad outlet.

Other than that, the unit is great and seems solid. We love it and the floor plan, but could have done without the issues. Especially toilet issue.

I have owned 6 rv's in my lifetime, and can honestly say I have never had any issues withe the previous, so maybe we were due for a few problems?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #6

Mine may not be an 'apples to apple's' comparison but I had a 2015 Eagle HT that had issues from the initial purchase. Some were Jayco issues, roof leaked, sliding door falling off and stripping screws. Other issues were vendor supplied issues. Traded it for a 2017 Eagle and although I have had it only 5 months, other than the not very robust folding dinette chairs, the quality of the new Eagle seems better than my experience with the HT.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisenvy View Post
Because it was my fault that I didn't reseal the entire exterior every 6 months. I think the side is leaking because of the awning replacement which is why their deliberation is taking a little longer. But the rear is my responsibility.

Over the past year i have purchased a new truck, new car, and a camper. I'm beginning to think my expectations for "new" are too high.
Wait, what? They expect all camper owners to completely reseal the exterior 2x a year or void the warranty?!?

I hope that isn't true...though I can't say that I've ever read the fine print either.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #8

Thor has complete control of warranty issues now for Jayco, remember the stockholders and dividend's. Ask any honest Jayco dealer and they will tell you the days of warranty good will is over forever.
Also they are building close to 450,000 RVs per year now, what does anyone think might be the quality issues in todays RVs?
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #9

Yessir, per your warranty work, you are expected to inspect every 6 months and reseal as needed. I inspect my camper regularly and didn't see any need to reseal something that wasn't in need of it. When I sent in pictures to Jayco, they immediately said they could see cracks in the sealant on the roof and the warranty claim was denied. Like I mentioned, it ended up being a leak from the top left and right lights on the rear. No problem was seen there while I was inspecting. I honestly think it was a defect from the factory, but Jayco doesn't see it that way.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
Wait, what? They expect all camper owners to completely reseal the exterior 2x a year or void the warranty?!?

I hope that isn't true...though I can't say that I've ever read the fine print either.
They expect you to "inspect" the roof every 6 months I think. I do go up on my roof every few months and look a things. If I see anything that looks suspicious, then I fix it. Since I do not take it to my dealer, I would probably also not have any roof coverage, since I had no "evidence" that I inspect it.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #11

I was on my roof last week. The roof looked good, but I think before next season, I will be cleaning the joints, and resealing for good measure.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Yessir, per your warranty work, you are expected to inspect every 6 months and reseal as needed. I inspect my camper regularly and didn't see any need to reseal something that wasn't in need of it. When I sent in pictures to Jayco, they immediately said they could see cracks in the sealant on the roof and the warranty claim was denied. Like I mentioned, it ended up being a leak from the top left and right lights on the rear. No problem was seen there while I was inspecting. I honestly think it was a defect from the factory, but Jayco doesn't see it that way.

Aaah, inspect is quite a bit different than reseal, so that makes more sense.

I go up on my roof all the time to check, in fact I have a bit of dicor I need to reapply around the TV antenna. I guess buying the white stuff (instead of beige) will show Jayco I'm taking maintenance seriously LOL

Old 07-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
With our Forest River its every 90 days. There is a sticker right on the trailer saying so. Who gets up on their roof and inspects seals every 3 months? Its all just a CYA thing.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #14

I have done the Eternabond thing to my roof. Is there a more permanent solution? Surely they can come up with something a little more durable than the rubber and putty thing.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Because it was my fault that I didn't reseal the entire exterior every 6 months.
Wait, I'm confused. Did you mean reseal or inspect? What does one reseal the entire exterior with anyway? Now I'm worried )
Max & Mocha May - Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:04 PM   #16

If you can't go a year... then the roof is junk to start with. I recon I would file a insurance claim. Sounds like jayco warrantee is until it leaves the dealer lot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzLiz View Post
Wait, I'm confused. Did you mean reseal or inspect? What does one reseal the entire exterior with anyway? Now I'm worried )
The warranty says inspect, but since I did that and the warranty was denied because they didn't see any new sealant on the roof I'm assuming they need to see something that is at least 6 mos new... if that makes sense.

I'm the guy that washes my camper after every trip and waxes it 2 or 3 times a year. I always check seals, tire pressure, lug nuts, extra long black tank flush, and store it under a car port. It kind of irks me when the camper starts to fall apart (prematurely in my opinion) and Jayco totally ignores me.

Oh, by the way, my front nose cone "Jacyo" sticker is peeling off also. Tell me this is normal.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Oh, by the way, my front nose cone "Jacyo" sticker is peeling off also. Tell me this is normal.
Well if you want me to lie to you... I took mine off and it fought me for an hour before I got it all, no way it should peel off on its own if they put it on correctly.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #19

Quote:
I currently have a 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS. I have been having quite a bit of trouble out of this camper including a total awning replacement, rear delamination and now delamination is beginning on the entry door side. Jayco has declined to warranty the delamination on the rear and I am waiting to hear back from them on the side. My dealer has joked that I should trade this camper in on a new one and I won't have to deal with this any more. I guess I'm looking for thoughts on this. I have had 3 Jayco Travel Trailers without any issues of any kind. I'm not sure I want to trade up for another FW unless I just got a lemon of a camper.

There have been some smaller issues ( tear in the floor, gas shocks going out, vent fan, etc) but the big ticket items that aren't covered worry me. By the way, my entire roof has been covered in Eternabond. That didn't matter because my roof wasn't leaking. It was the rear lights and the screws on the awning that leaked.
I know what you're feeling. I had a salesman from my selling dealer call and ask if I was ready to trade in for a newer model. At the time, mine was about 14 months from original purchased. I told him why would I trade it in when I'm still trying to get warranty work done and I've seen little progress. Like you said, trading would solve the problems from his view. I told my wife if I ever done anything that stupid to have me committed somewhere to have a extensive mental evaluation.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #20

Well, I don't have any interest in trading, but if I got a lemon and they won't do anything about it I sure don't want to get stuck with this thing for years to come. If they would offer me a good deal on a trade in, I'd consider it. The reason I started this thread is to see if I got a lemon, if the newer ones were of better build quality, or if I traded would I end up in the same situation.