Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2021, 08:42 PM   #1

2018 eagle ht

This 5th wheel has been a nightmare. From the start I have had trouble. Brakes locking up,fridge not cooling,front cap fading,strings breaking on shades,doors not lining up to shut and lock,fridge is broken now,bumps in floor between island and kitchen slide,new slide motors on kitchen slide,front cap now coming loose from sides slipping down, faucets had to be replaced, now best of all the frame is twisted. Only my wife and I camp in trailer so not mistreated. There is more but can’t think of it right now. No help from Jayco so far. 3 years old and a piece of junk. Anyone else out there having major problems let me know thanks.
Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:40 AM   #2

First of all, welcome to the forum.

You're right, it sounds like a nightmare. Awful lot of stuff wrong in three years. I don't understand the whole frame twist thing. Something had to happen to twist a frame on one of those. It didn't leave the factory like that and quality inspections would catch it. They're all jigged and unable to twist. Maybe in shipping?? Bumps in the floor? Like big bumps or screw bumps? The front caps are notorious in the older models but I thought they had that figured out by 2018, I guess not. My 2013 is faded like an old pair of jeans...it's horrible. The faucets they put in those things are some of the cheapest I've seen. They were the first things I replaced in my Eagle when I bought it used. No more problems though. I hope you somehow get things figured out.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:17 AM   #3

Can't say I have a horrible experience like you had.

We bought a 2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS new, but have only had the normal little hiccups like buying any new car - simple adjustments, etc...

The only other issues were more related to the local dealer and not fixing the problem correctly the first time. I was glad for the 2 yr warranty, because we needed that time for the dealer to get their crap together and get things right.

Sorry to hear about your issues.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:16 PM   #4

I have an 18 eagle ht. I had my cap repainted under warranty. The it amazed me it even faded. If it is not being used we store it in a building. I had minor issues under warranty like the slide twisting the trim when the slide was put out due to adjustment and the front storage door falling apart. Now out of warranty I have the sidewall crack and wall separation issue I am going to address this winter.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:22 PM   #5

I have a 2018 29.5 BHDS.

The list of stuff that was wrong from the factory is long. The worst was that they incorrectly sealed the front roof to the front cap resulting in major delam. Fortunately, during delivery, I had my selling dealer put dicor on the front seam and they took pics to submit a warranty pay request. When the Jayco rep I was working with on the delam issue saw the pic, he IMMEDIATELY spotted the root cause of my delam. The pic was used by the phone rep at Jayco to justify repairs as the root cause was a factory defect even though I was a few months beyond the 2 years. My dealer was so incompetent as to not spot the issue when they received the trailer (Orlando RV is incompetent and should never be patronized for sales or service).

Long story short…I repaired several factory issues early on, some very obvious. I also had the infamous sagging front end and the infamous fading front cap. I shelled out $3,500 to send the rig back to the factory where they replaced all 3 walls over a four month period. Yes, all three walls had signs of rot and delam and no, this was not a roof maintenance issue. What’s really scary is that the front door side area was the only area where the delam was obvious. We KNOW it was due to a factory defect and I still had to fight like hell to get support. I complained to my dealer that there was something wrong with the rear wall and they replaced one window and resealed the other, but the real culprit was an incorrectly installed gutter at the rear of the door wall.

Folks, maybe mine was a lemon, but the build quality is absolute garbage. Orlando RV may have low prices but they are incompetent. If you buy new from them, pay an independent tech to do your delivery inspection. The money I saved buying from Orlando RV was lost paying to send the trailer back to the factory. At least Jayco did something for me. What should scare the hell out of every HT owner is that my unit had a lot of damage after 2 years that was not due to lack of maintenance and not all of it was not readily visible but if these issues had not been addressed, they would have ended up with delam, too. Time will tell if the repaired version of my trailer is better than the original.
Shall36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:05 PM   #6

Our 2018 Eagle HT had a severe water leak on out maiden voyage. We took it back to the dealer and the rear A/C unit was not installed properly over the whole in the roof. It was mounted too far to the rear of the hole and a lot of water running down the roof went right into the A/C duct work! The dealer repaired it but how long and how many rainstorms did it sit thru on the lot before we got it. Plus I do not like the "New" slides. We have the Kitchen and bedroom slides with the motor that runs slow and sometimes will time out before it travels all of the way to the limits. We traded in our 2013 Eagle because we had a leak in it also that we didn't know about and it rotted out just about the entire back wall! We also had a lot of wood rot in the bedroom slide that I had to repair myself. The dealer said that we need to keep it under a shed!
Lake Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:50 AM   #7

My main AC was mounted crooked, letting rain water through into the unit. I found a snapped lag bolt up there, too. My trailer must have been built on a Monday or a Friday given all the stupid crap wrong with it.
Shall36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:47 AM   #8

Build Quality issues

QUOTE-. My trailer must have been built on a Monday or a Friday given all the stupid crap wrong with it.-

Ms & I took a Jayco factory tour of 5th wheel plant around 3 yrs ago. Assembly line process. At beginning of shift employees are told of that days production goal, around 30 units. They start early and bust azz to be done in early afternoon. Employees were definitely hustling, they want to be done. Not much incentive to do quality work. Slap it together and do the next one as fast as possible so they can get out of there.

Most everyone wants the cheapest and nicest RV they can get for their money. Manufacturers generally use the cheapest components available and build units as quickly as possible, time is money.
What gets me is if an auto company had the build quality of some of the RV manufacturers they would be out of business.

New 2020 Chevrolet tow vehicle. ZERO issues.
New 2020 Pinnacle. 31 issues and counting.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote