Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #1

5th wheel hitches

I'm looking at fifth wheel hitches on etrailer and a local dealer, I'm noticing that the curt #25k with a #6200 TW is 700 and the B&W for #20k with a #5k TW, is 1000, why such a difference, in them.

I don't own one yet, I'm looking to buy the hitch and install it myself instead of having the dealer do it.

Are the Curt hitches any good? What should I really be looking for when buying the fifth wheel?
DownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #2

B&W made in USA. Not sure about Curt.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #3

Curt Hitch

Curt is also made in the USA.
Cannot say anything bad about B&W. They have a great reputation, big, heavy but are more expensive with than the comparable Curt.

I ended up purchasing the Curt Q24 from a truck hitch dealer/installer that carried all the major brands. I previously owned a Husky 5th wheel hitch. The dealer suggested Curt as a more affordable alternative to the better known Reese and B&W Hitches he was showing me. Dealer said Curt started in 1993 (ball hitches) and has been steadily expanding it's products since. Lower price was a factor but the Curt integrated perfectly with my (then new) 2014 Ford's puck style flat bed mounts. I also liked the sleek low profile and fool proof (green/red indicator) king pin locking system that is designed for idiots. As a Army veteran...I like the "keep it simple-stupid" approach. So far, I am very satisfied with the Curt. Mated my rig's MORryde king pin along with a grease plate, noise and chucking is not an issue.

Talking with other 5th wheel owners, just about everyone seems satisfied with their hitches regardless of brand. I think it gets down to a matter of personal preference and then familiarity.

Safe travels,
Carnation, Washington
Dogrunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #4

My vote went with the B&W because of ease of putting in and taking out of the bed haveing 2 40 pound pieces is easier to horse around. An other plus to me was I can use the goose neck with a horse trailer and with in minutes be set up to tow a it wheel.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #5

I am new to 5th wheels but on the advice of some experienced in-laws, we got the B&W hitch in the bed and an Anderson hitch that goes onto that. the Anderson hitch is easy to remove and is light. The B&W ball hitch that it fits onto is reversible and flips upside down. It gives me a clean bed to my truck. Nothing sticks up!
soonerduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:54 PM   #6

Happy B&W owner here. Two piece design is much easier to take in and out when needed.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #7

The curt A-20 poped up on etrailer when i purchased mine. I was looking at the b&w and curt Q hitches. But needed exactly a 16 inch hitch hieght for a level trailer. I figured why the overkill when I'm not towing over capacity anyway. Plus the A20 has lifetime warranty and curt Q does not. Really like the A20 and the hitching mechanism ,plus no chucking or any noise at all. I must of looked in the mirror over and over as i didn't even know the trailer was behind me all the way home.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
B&W made in USA. Not sure about Curt.

Curt’s bumper pull stuff is made state side, but the FW hitches are Chinese. Good hitches though regardless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #9

I went with the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. I've only pulled my NP about 40 miles thus far, but loving it and the weight savings!
Andersen Ultimate 5ver Hitch
bzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzeller View Post
I went with the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. I've only pulled my NP about 40 miles thus far, but loving it and the weight savings!
Good choice. I've yet to read a negative comment on that setup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #11

Bzeller - What length is your F350 bed, 6 3/4' or 8'?
DB Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:54 AM   #12

B&W Companion Slider I love it I only have been using it now for about two to three months.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:23 AM   #13

I just installed the Reese underbed kit in my 17 3500HD SB and reused the Reese Elite 25k from my Ford. The GM Z6A option requires Curt hitches. I'll see how my turning is with a fixed 5th hitch on a SB but by my measurements it looks like I can get past 45deg without issue.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #14

Sounds like most are very happy with their hitches but none, so far, have said anything about Pull-Rite and their auto slide. Am I missing something?
Old 10-25-2017, 04:05 PM   #15

Hey Bud, you need to search on U-Tube for the best 5th Wheel Hitch. That's what I did and it helped. Pullrite is the best on the market.
Happy Hitch hunting.
Chris
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
I just installed the Reese underbed kit in my 17 3500HD SB and reused the Reese Elite 25k from my Ford. The GM Z6A option requires Curt hitches. I'll see how my turning is with a fixed 5th hitch on a SB but by my measurements it looks like I can get past 45deg without issue.
I bought a new 2017 3500 HD GMC that came with the factory installed 5th wheel and gooseneck brackets already installed to the frame. Since I already had a pullrite sliding hitch that I didn't want to get rid of, and only had 3 days until we were leaving for vacation I bought the adapter kit and had it over nighted to me. I looked at the Curt hitches but didn't really like them and could not get them in time anyway. The adapter kit raised the hitch about 5" up off the bed of my truck and with this truck being a couple of inches higher than my 2500HD the fith wheel really rides nose high. I tried to remove the Curt brackets and install the brackets from Pullrite but to remove the Curt brackets I will have to lift the bed of my truck up to slide them out.
I lifted my axels of the fifth well up one hole and will drop the kingpin one hole and see how much that helps. With my 2005 2500 and the pullrite hitch the 5er rode level. It's turning into a expensive lesson for buying a truck with the Curt brackets already installed. If anyone has a Curt sliding hitch installed can you tell me how high off the bed the hook-up is. Thanks
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Family View Post
Bzeller - What length is your F350 bed, 6 3/4' or 8'?

8’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andersen Ultimate 5ver Hitch
bzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjam View Post
I bought a new 2017 3500 HD GMC that came with the factory installed 5th wheel and gooseneck brackets already installed to the frame. Since I already had a pullrite sliding hitch that I didn't want to get rid of, and only had 3 days until we were leaving for vacation I bought the adapter kit and had it over nighted to me. I looked at the Curt hitches but didn't really like them and could not get them in time anyway. The adapter kit raised the hitch about 5" up off the bed of my truck and with this truck being a couple of inches higher than my 2500HD the fith wheel really rides nose high. I tried to remove the Curt brackets and install the brackets from Pullrite but to remove the Curt brackets I will have to lift the bed of my truck up to slide them out.
I lifted my axels of the fifth well up one hole and will drop the kingpin one hole and see how much that helps. With my 2005 2500 and the pullrite hitch the 5er rode level. It's turning into a expensive lesson for buying a truck with the Curt brackets already installed. If anyone has a Curt sliding hitch installed can you tell me how high off the bed the hook-up is. Thanks
None of the SRW trucks at the dealer had the Z6A option on them. Even some of the duallies didn't, don't know why they wouldn't add that option onto stock order duallies given the factory price for it.

The Reese underbed kit went in pretty easy. Just had to lift the box and then measure 5x before cutting holes in the bed. The Ford bed with the stamped flats is much nicer for bed hitches. I like the puck hitches for the flat floor when hitch is out. With the Reese Elite my fiver sits level and needed no adjustment moving from the Ford F350 DRW. I just need to check my turning radius as I don't have a slider.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Happy B&W owner here. Two piece design is much easier to take in and out when needed.
What B&W Hitch do you have?

Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old skipper View Post
My vote went with the B&W because of ease of putting in and taking out of the bed haveing 2 40 pound pieces is easier to horse around. An other plus to me was I can use the goose neck with a horse trailer and with in minutes be set up to tow a it wheel.
Which B&W hitch do you have?

Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote