Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #1

A/C tape mod on 29.5BHOK

Yesterday I completed the A/C duct mod with the foil tape. On two of the ducts the inside ceiling and the A/C duct were off alignment by 1.5 to 2 inches. I was able to use the tape to make a smooth transition. There is no way the black plastic extensions were able to fill the void and allow smooth air flow into the trailer in those ducts.

As far as performance improvement I don't have a baseline to compare to, but I started the mod early in the day at 9am, with the camper a cool 70 degrees. I took longer than most people probably do, and with a few hours factored in for running some errands I finished at 3 pm. It was 95 or so degrees yesterday in Vegas and in full sun with one A/C running I was able to keep it 75 degrees in the 5th wheel, A/C was set somewhere around 70 I believe(I have the stock inaccurate mechanical slide thermostat, digital upgrade is planned when I got time).

So in the future, when I have access to 50 amps, and can run both A/C units I think I will be comfortable inside, even in the blistering summer sun. For what it is worth I do have the insulated windows also.

I am going to run the A/C again today with the mod completed on all vents and see if I can maintain the temp a degree or two lower.

When you are doing the mod grab a mirror and look up inside the holes with a flashlight, you get a good idea how the system looks, as well as check for major leaks that you might not see any other way.

Now I get to clean up all the saw dust and crap that came out when I took the white vent covers off.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #2

Here is a before pic of one of the vents. It is really hard to see how off alignment the two holes are in the pic but 1.5 to 2 inches in real life.
Attached Thumbnails
20180423_130240.jpg  
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #3

I have the tape in the trailer. I intend to do this on our next camping weekend instead of “sitting around” the entire time.