Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #1

Anyone actually towing an Eagle HT with an HT

The DW and I have decided that if we upgrade from our PUP we're going straight to a 5er. We figure our 3 adult children can use the PUP with future hubbies and kids, but still want a BH design and like the 29.5 BHDS and the 30.5MBOK even more.

Is anyone towing these with a 1/2T truck? Specially equipped? I'm thinking these two are a bit heavy for a 1/2T and wonder if the HT designation is more marketing than reality? No doubt, we recognize more TV is never a bad thing, but for now, the TV will be the wife's due to my work requiring an econo-car.
raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #2

Depends on the truck. Doable yes. At 10k GVWR the truck should be a newer model. My 2008 Tundra was rated at 10K for 5rs. We pulled it everywhere. Most all 1/2 tons are equipped with passenger tires, so the only modification I would recommend is upgrade to a truck tire. Under inflation kills the tire.
Attached Thumbnails
1012121455c.jpg   1012121455b.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising4daughters View Post
The DW and I have decided that if we upgrade from our PUP we're going straight to a 5er. We figure our 3 adult children can use the PUP with future hubbies and kids, but still want a BH design and like the 29.5 BHDS and the 30.5MBOK even more.

Is anyone towing these with a 1/2T truck? Specially equipped? I'm thinking these two are a bit heavy for a 1/2T and wonder if the HT designation is more marketing than reality? No doubt, we recognize more TV is never a bad thing, but for now, the TV will be the wife's due to my work requiring an econo-car.
I would feel more comfortable with at least a 3/4 ton but some do tow with 1/2 truck.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #4

Quote:

I consider it marketing myself. The best way to determine whether your 1/2 ton is "capable" is to simply look at the yellow sticker on the drivers side door pillar. It will tell you what the cargo carrying capacity of your truck is. Cargo weight is equal to all passengers, fuel, FW hitch, and "stuff" you put in your truck and truck bed. The Jayco site lists the hitch weight of the FW .... and that weight is unloaded.
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
Site Team

It's been discussed here more then once. Here is a recent one.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ble-53278.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
It's been discussed here more then once. Here is a recent one.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ble-53278.html
Thanks. I read through that entire thread. After sorting through some individual battles, I came to the conclusion that the larger HTs (like the two I mentioned) would be severely pushing the limits of 1/2T trucks. Probably not a position I want to be in.

We don't own either, so the suggestion in that thread to look at my door jam isn't realist. Less realistic is the suggestion to take both and get them weighed. I see Rustic Eagle make that suggestion on many threads, but it's not useful for a new buyer of both. The reason for asking is so that we don't invest $40k in a TV that can't do the job or, conversely, don't invest $50k in a trailer than a 1/2T truck can safely tow (or stop).
raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks. I read through that entire thread. After sorting through some individual battles, I came to the conclusion that the larger HTs (like the two I mentioned) would be severely pushing the limits of 1/2T trucks. Probably not a position I want to be in.

We don't own either, so the suggestion in that thread to look at my door jam isn't realist. Less realistic is the suggestion to take both and get them weighed. I see Rustic Eagle make that suggestion on many threads, but it's not useful for a new buyer of both. The reason for asking is so that we don't invest $40k in a TV that can't do the job or, conversely, don't invest $50k in a trailer than a 1/2T truck can safely tow (or stop).
I didn't realize you didn't have a truck so, sorry for my suggestion of looking at the sticker. On the other hand, you should be able to score a nice 3/4 ton truck for 40k.
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #8

Anyone actually towing an Eagle HT with an HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
I didn't realize you didn't have a truck so, sorry for my suggestion of looking at the sticker. On the other hand, you should be able to score a nice 3/4 ton truck for 40k.

Especially if you don’t go in for all the gadgets, or just go a couple years old.

…and let’s be clear. Trucks and trailers are not investments. They are quickly depreciating liabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:

We had a 2017 F150 Lariat, 3.5 eco boost, 4x4 with max tow. Our placarded payload was 1825 lbs. The pin weight of our loaded Eagle 28.5 HT is 1820 lbs. We're lightly loaded. That didn't leave any room for passengers or extra stuff in the truck so we traded for an F250. Payload is no longer an issue and the driving experience is excellent.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #10

The only 1/2 ton truck that might be capable of towing one of those 5ers is the F150 equipped with the Heave Duty Payload Package and Max Tow package.

The HD payload package adds 700lbs of payload to the truck over a similarly equipped F150.

The payload on my F150 is 1813lbs, not enough for a 5th wheel, barely enough for my 28BHKS travel trailer.

If I added another 700lbs to that with the HDPP, that would put me at 2500lbs, which would be sufficient for some 5th wheels, but not many.

If you've read through the many posts about this, you'll already know you'll have to figure out your payload. So take all the cargo/people you'll put in the truck and take that number with you when you go truck shopping. Open the door of the truck you like and read that magical number on the door jamb that says Combined weight of cargo and occupants should not exceed: xxxxlbs and subtract your cargo/occupant weight and see what you have left.

For the 5th wheels you're looking at, I would count on requiring the following payload left over after you subtract your cargo/occupants

29.5BHDS - Dry 1670lbs --- Wet 2,200lbs
30.5MBOK - Dry 1860lbs --- Wet 2,400lbs

That's what I would look for anyway.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #11

We have the 29.5 BHOK. I would NEVER consider towing it with any 1/2T unless you did not add any options and didn't put anything in it. And then I'd only be comfortable taking it short distances. Even just the extra AC unit adds over 100lb to the pin weight. If you load it with normal stuff you will be overweight almost every 1/2T out there. Loaded for us, it was too heavy a pin weight for my old Dodge Ram 2500. The current Ford 3/4t has more payload and does well with it.

And yes, I have had a fifth wheel with a Tundra. It was 7500lb and pin of 11-1200lb. That towed well, but, after about 30k mi of towing the transmission was dying.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote