Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2022, 09:15 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I think you’ll like it. I’ve been impressed by mine. At the very least, it’s substantially better than the Swagman I replaced which did serve us well for 1000’s of miles. Just didn’t fit our style of bikes well. A Thule or something would’ve been easier to source, but for an RV/off-road bicycle carrier this seems a great option. They’re pretty quick with shipping. I’m guessing they build this stuff in house, so a few days after the order they’ll ship it.

Hope you enjoy it.
I have been all over YouTube getting educated and can't find anything not to like about it. Great quality, USA made, and very intuitive to use. I asked them to install the fat tire kits, they mention this on the instructions, so I won't have to mess with it. I also mentioned we will be out of town next week, and not to rush on the shipping. Hate playing tag with FedEx. Thanks for being our trail blazer with these racks, looking forward to seeing it.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:41 AM   #82

Quote:
I think you’ll like it. I’ve been impressed by mine. At the very least, it’s substantially better than the Swagman I replaced which did serve us well for 1000’s of miles. Just didn’t fit our style of bikes well. A Thule or something would’ve been easier to source, but for an RV/off-road bicycle carrier this seems a great option. They’re pretty quick with shipping. I’m guessing they build this stuff in house, so a few days after the order they’ll ship it.

Hope you enjoy it.
Ok, some pictures and observations. I decided to try it on the Ram 3500 first. Had to order the adapter reducer so it would work with the 2.5" hitch on truck. The hitch on the truck is over 2" taller than on the Pinnacle. The adapter works well but not overly intuitive on the installation, as simple as it may be. I called and spoke to their tech folks. The easy loading ramp they call the V-style ramp works well, barely wide enough for the 4" tires. I loaded the bikes by myself, not too bad until the back wheel wants to spin on the ramp, and you have a 70+ bike at chest level, lol. The Bike Rack works very well, that ball gizmo used to tighten the rack in the receiver is pretty awesome. I took the bikes for a ride after loading and could not detect any movement. I had to move the bikes around a bit after loading to insure they were not going to touch once moving. The Rack comes with a hitch lock that is probably perfect for a 2" receiver. It comes with a rubber spacer, removable, and not quite long enough for the lock to engage as is on the 2.5" receiver. Once spacer removed, it does fine, however, it exposes part of the pin itself if anyone wanted to cut through it. With the spacer in place, only the two fat ends are visible and maybe harder to break? Also bought a gadget they call the Rack Stash, designed to let you store the rack out of the way when not in use. Now, to search for a bike cover???

Oh, and I had to move the fat tires adapter to the rear tires so it would fit under the rear fenders.
Attached Thumbnails
20220215_114935[1].jpg   20220215_115001[1].jpg   20220215_115007[1].jpg   20220215_151004_007[1].jpg   20220215_151024[1].jpg  

20220216_155258[1].jpg  
Old 02-19-2022, 01:58 PM   #83

Glad you like it overall. Great review. That hitch adapter had me scratching my head at first too. I’ve learned to just barely insert the adapter and then slide the rack in till both are nearly flush. I was having trouble getting the holes lined up. Mine has spent more time on the truck hitting the local trails than on the RV, but it’s been a good test.

It’s tough hitch. Go’s right through dry wall when backing into the garage too far. Depth perception on the camera isn’t great and parking sensors disabled with the rack in place.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:58 AM   #84

Quote:
Glad you like it overall. Great review. That hitch adapter had me scratching my head at first too. I’ve learned to just barely insert the adapter and then slide the rack in till both are nearly flush. I was having trouble getting the holes lined up. Mine has spent more time on the truck hitting the local trails than on the RV, but it’s been a good test.

It’s tough hitch. Go’s right through dry wall when backing into the garage too far. Depth perception on the camera isn’t great and parking sensors disabled with the rack in place.
Lol, thanks, glad you tested the hitch strength. For your same reason I have a very small ding above and to the right of the tailgate latch, that mostly only I can see but still ticks me off. I was backing in a parking lot and a tree branch got too close! I had an Anderson hitch that I normally keep on the truck. No more! As you know that simple adapter can be a bear to install correctly, and the lock pin only fits through the unthreaded hole, which threw me for a loop. I found that inserting the lock pin in just enough to hold the adapter in place, and then insert the rack, seems to work well.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:07 AM   #85

Jetlag, great product review.

Looks like a very heavy duty high quality bike carrier.

I like the garage storage mount. One concern. The post you mounted the storage mount to. Is it strong enough. LOL
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:26 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTC View Post
Jetlag, great product review.

Looks like a very heavy duty high quality bike carrier.

I like the garage storage mount. One concern. The post you mounted the storage mount to. Is it strong enough. LOL
Thank You. Yes, the post is a monster, part of the shop. The drill was not happy drilling the holes, lol.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:13 AM   #87

better late than ever, here are some pics of the bikes FINALLY on the rack and the back of the camper. the rack fit is great, not inserted fully to allow for a bit of room between the inside bike's left handlebar and the RV. I did cut the end of a pool noodle and inserted it in that one handle as someone suggested here, although it is not needed, just being overly cautious. Bought a 3-bike cover on Amazon as the bikes are so large, and it was a good choice. It is made by Obsidian and came recommended from other sources as well. We drove 165 miles to Carolina Pines RV resort outside of Myrtle Beach, and it seems to have done well, lol. I say this because they are still on the carrier with the cover on as it has been cool and very windy our first full day here. Will take a picture with the cover on later this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
20220408_082123[1].jpg   20220408_082145[1].jpg   20220408_082154[1].jpg  
Old 04-11-2022, 04:50 AM   #88

Obsidian cover, XXL size.
Attached Thumbnails
20220410_112358[1].jpg   20220410_112407[1].jpg   20220410_112425[1].jpg  
Old 04-11-2022, 08:30 AM   #89

Good thing for Jaysmart lighting, it looks like that blocks your lower taillights. I was wanting to cover ours but haven’t decided yet.
Randyman69357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:32 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman69357 View Post
Good thing for Jaysmart lighting, it looks like that blocks your lower taillights. I was wanting to cover ours but haven’t decided yet.
Yes, my bride quickly mentioned this, lol