Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #1

Bicycle carrier?

Santa is bringing us two electric bicycles. They are the Rad Rover 6+ and heavy!! As in 71-72 pounds each. I am researching racks/carriers to use with our Pinnacle. It needs to be adjustable enough so I can lower it to or near the ground to load the bikes. One I have found that seems to be top notch, and made in the USA is "1 up". Very nice and expensive, but most I have seen so far that can handle the weight are all expensive. I welcome all suggestions you all might have, we are not in a big rush just yet, but would like to have it by spring if at all possible. Thanks
Rene
Old 12-22-2021, 03:26 PM   #2

Hello,

We went with the Hollywood Racks HR1500 for 2 Rad Mini on a Class C but you need the HR1700 for fifth wheel according to their site.

https://hollywoodracks.com/collectio...31819472437317

Yes expensive but they won't fall off.

PS, it doesn't lower like you asked but the manual for ours has good instructions for loading heavy bikes. Kinda walking them on one wheel at a time.

Regards,

John
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
2017 Grand Design 2150RB (Traded in)
2016 GMC Canyon (Traded in)
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Hello,

We went with the Hollywood Racks HR1500 for 2 Rad Mini on a Class C but you need the HR1700 for fifth wheel according to their site.

PS, it doesn't lower like you asked but the manual for ours has good instructions for loading heavy bikes. Kinda walking them on one wheel at a time.

Regards,

John
Thank You, I will look at it.
Old 12-23-2021, 05:50 AM   #4

I went with the Thule EasyFold.
It comes with a ramp to load the bikes. The ramp folds and stores in the rack.
Also not cheep but my wife can also load the bikes.
AND the rack and bikes do not wiggle or bounce anywhere near as much as others I've seen.
Link is for the Thule website. Shop around it might be less expensive elsewhere.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-rac...-xt-2-_-903202
Old 12-23-2021, 06:44 AM   #5

Is that Thule good for the back of RV’s? I’m in the market for a new rack as well since my swagman doesn’t fit my FS mntn bike so well and the mounting points are worn out after almost 5 years. I’ve wanted to buy one of the non-RV for dual use, but worry about the strength of them from the added stress compared with being on the rear of a car. Especially on a long FW or TT, they take a beating.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:23 AM   #6

I don't think the Thule is a good fit for this request. It is rated 30Kg or 66Lb. and says nothing about RV use.

I did a lot of homework on this focusing on RV rated, North American companies to support my neighbors in an expanding sphere. If I remember right Hollywood is made in Taiwan, Swagman in China. No platform racks I found that met weight requirements was actually made in N.A.

There may be more but what I found was Swagman from British Columbia, Arvika from Quebec, and Hollywood from California.

Hollywood had the best weight rating. 80lb vs 70lb for the Swagman.

Arvika had good rating too but you had to figure out which components you need and my request for more information from them got lost in the translation I think. They only told me which mount I would need, not what rack parts to support the 2 e-bikes

Regards,

John
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 12-23-2021, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
I don't think the Thule is a good fit for this request. It is rated 30Kg or 66Lb. and says nothing about RV use.

I did a lot of homework on this focusing on RV rated, North American companies to support my neighbors in an expanding sphere. If I remember right Hollywood is made in Taiwan, Swagman in China. No platform racks I found that met weight requirements was actually made in N.A.

There may be more but what I found was Swagman from British Columbia, Arvika from Quebec, and Hollywood from California.

Hollywood had the best weight rating. 80lb vs 70lb for the Swagman.

Arvika had good rating too but you had to figure out which components you need and my request for more information from them got lost in the translation I think. They only told me which mount I would need, not what rack parts to support the 2 e-bikes

Regards,

John
Check out "1 up", made in the USA and one of the models can hold up to 4 75-pound bikes
Old 12-23-2021, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Check out "1 up", made in the USA and one of the models can hold up to 4 75-pound bikes
Nice.

Not sure how I missed them during my search.

They check the boxes I was looking for.

RV rated
E-Bike they don't specify but they can take the weight, not all RV rated could do the Rad Mini weight
North American company
Bonus, they say manufactured in USA, Keep your neighbor working.

And they have an option for the ramp to roll the bikes on

Regards,

John
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 12-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #9

bike carrier

I purchased the MoTow carrier in this link. STURDY! Two RadRunner Plus bikes and well under capacity with batteries removed plus it's rated for the bumps and jostling of an RV rear-mount. There is a mechanized option to lower the rack with a cordless drill. 300# and 500# options.
https://motowus.com/product/double-ebike-bike-carrier/
https://motowus.com/product/motow-hitch-lift/
Videos on the site for reference.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Nice.

Not sure how I missed them during my search.

They check the boxes I was looking for.

RV rated
E-Bike they don't specify but they can take the weight, not all RV rated could do the Rad Mini weight
North American company
Bonus, they say manufactured in USA, Keep your neighbor working.

And they have an option for the ramp to roll the bikes on

Regards,

John
Glad you liked it; I keep leaning their way
Old 12-24-2021, 01:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Hello,

Regards,

John
Just got off the phone with a very helpful Rad Bike rep, Christmas eve no less, about a different issue with our new bikes. We ended up talking for 30+ minutes about everything under the sun bike related, and the bike carrier question came up. he said Hollywood Racks was their only approved carrier, but he quickly clarified that it happens to be the only one they have tested, and now partnered with them.
Rene
Old 12-24-2021, 02:29 PM   #12

I had forgotten they actually have my rack on the Radpower US site (out of stock) but not on the Canadian site.

I looked at the Motow Rowest linked too. Looks well made, stainless steel made in USA. Double the cost if you want the lift though Ouch.

I am happy with mine and it also came with keyed alike hitch pin, bike arms and cable lock which the others don't, minor but convenient.

If you think you might have any issue lifting your bikes, the 1up with ramps might be better for you.

BTW, in case you are new to e-bike be sure to disengage drive before you cross a highway or you will end up with gravel scars like I have or worse.

Regards,

John
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 12-24-2021, 02:41 PM   #13

Quote:
I had forgotten they actually have my rack on the Radpower US site (out of stock) but not on the Canadian site.

I looked at the Motow Rowest linked too. Looks well made, stainless steel made in USA. Double the cost if you want the lift though Ouch.

I am happy with mine and it also came with keyed alike hitch pin, bike arms and cable lock which the others don't, minor but convenient.

If you think you might have any issue lifting your bikes, the 1up with ramps might be better for you.

BTW, in case you are new to e-bike be sure to disengage drive before you cross a highway or you will end up with gravel scars like I have or worse.

Regards,

John
I am used to road bikes weighing 15-16 pounds, and not sure about the procedure to load a 70+ bike onto a carrier. Now, this you must explain as we are new to E bikes
Old 12-24-2021, 05:42 PM   #14

Have Rad Rover bikes and the Hollywood rack. Been from Atlanta to Hilton Head and back, Louisiana, and now the FL Keys. The rack is solid…about 55 to 60 lbs by itself. To me it was well worth the investment.

I know it’s great for the class C, need to inquire about any trailer applications.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:14 PM   #15

I watched a pair of normal bikes bobbing around on a hitch rack on the back of a motor home. Structural failure of the rack, bikes, or the hitch was in the making. Make sure yours has a hitch tightener of some kind. We have a hitch rack and I use one of them to keep it from wobble which is hard on the load and the hitch.

Just look for "hitch tightener" mostly under $10.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 05:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I watched a pair of normal bikes bobbing around on a hitch rack on the back of a motor home. Structural failure of the rack, bikes, or the hitch was in the making. Make sure yours has a hitch tightener of some kind. We have a hitch rack and I use one of them to keep it from wobble which is hard on the load and the hitch.

Just look for "hitch tightener" mostly under $10.
I think this is why some are RV rated? I see that on some and not others, but a great point, nonetheless.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
I think this is why some are RV rated? I see that on some and not others, but a great point, nonetheless.

My swagman has a bolt that go’s through where the hitch pin would. Zero play at the hitch. Now, if it were completely rigid, that energy may go somewhere it shouldn’t, so there is some play designed into the rack itself. Don’t know if that company makes one that would accommodate the weight of a hefty e-bike. 100lbs of bikes getting flung around that far aft of the cg will need a hefty setup.

I keeping looking for myself, and seems there’s very few racks recommended for the back end of a trailer. Many for cars and RV’s.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 11:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
My swagman has a bolt that go’s through where the hitch pin would. Zero play at the hitch. Now, if it were completely rigid, that energy may go somewhere it shouldn’t, so there is some play designed into the rack itself. Don’t know if that company makes one that would accommodate the weight of a hefty e-bike. 100lbs of bikes getting flung around that far aft of the cg will need a hefty setup.

I keeping looking for myself, and seems there’s very few racks recommended for the back end of a trailer. Many for cars and RV’s.
The Motow RoWest recommended has this in FAQ.

Can I use your eBike carrier and/or Hitch Lift on my car / RV / 5th wheel / travel trailer / pickup truck /
front mount on my truck?
Yes. As long as you have adequate tongue weight, and the bikes are properly loaded so they do not move during transport.

Believe it or not I don't work for Hollywood or have stock

The Hr1700 actually has this in their description page.

Regards,

John
Attached Thumbnails
HR1700.JPG  
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 12-25-2021, 02:08 PM   #19

Quote:
The Motow RoWest recommended has this in FAQ.

Can I use your eBike carrier and/or Hitch Lift on my car / RV / 5th wheel / travel trailer / pickup truck /
front mount on my truck?
Yes. As long as you have adequate tongue weight, and the bikes are properly loaded so they do not move during transport.

Believe it or not I don't work for Hollywood or have stock

The Hr1700 actually has this in their description page.

Regards,

John
Yes, I had seen that. I wonder what makes them not suitable for a bumper pull camper. I will presume it will work with our Pinnacle?
Old 12-28-2021, 10:14 PM   #20

Congrats jetlag on the ebike.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote