Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2021, 09:19 PM   #1

Black tank flush

Wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on this....

My black tank flush doesn’t seem to be allowing any water into the tank. It worked fine last year. After winterizing, I have a hose (with and without) a dedicated valve and it is not allowing the water to flow into the black tank. Any ideas on what could be preventing the flow of water into the black tank flush system?
Ranger431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:30 PM   #2

The only things I can think of are some obstruction in the line to the tank or a stuck check valve. The check valve is there to prevent back flow but should open to allow water into the tank.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:45 AM   #3

I agree with 2edgesword: It's probably the check valve. Mine locked up several years ago. I was going to replace it, but it's inside the kitchen cabinet and is impossible to reach (at least for a full ground, somewhat overweight man). So I bought a Camco toilet cleaning wand. I just run a garden hose through my front door and into the bathroom, attach the wand, open the flush valve on the toilet, and insert the wand into the tank. The wand has a shut-off on it, so I turn it off, go outside and open the black tank valve and turn the water on. Then I go back inside and open the shut-off valve on the wand to flush out any "debris" while the black tank is draining. Contrary to what the Jayco instruction manual says, I close the dump valve for 1-1/2 minutes to let the BW Tank partially fill. Then I open the valve and allow the tank to drain. If needed, I'll repeat that process. Since I can turn the wand and move it around inside the black tank, I've found I get a much better flush than I ever did with the built-in black tank flush. After the second time I used it, the level indicators started working again. My wand had four "fixed" holes. A couple of months ago, I found one with a "spinner" on the end. It has both more water pressure and more water flow than the "fixed hole" wand had, so it does an even better job. Once the water coming out of the drain is clear, I shut the water off, then go inside to remove the wand from the hose, and feed the hose back out the door. With this new wand, the whole process only takes about 15 minutes.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I agree with 2edgesword: It's probably the check valve. Mine locked up several years ago. I was going to replace it, but it's inside the kitchen cabinet and is impossible to reach (at least for a full ground, somewhat overweight man). So I bought a Camco toilet cleaning wand. I just run a garden hose through my front door and into the bathroom, attach the wand, open the flush valve on the toilet, and insert the wand into the tank. The wand has a shut-off on it, so I turn it off, go outside and open the black tank valve and turn the water on. Then I go back inside and open the shut-off valve on the wand to flush out any "debris" while the black tank is draining. Contrary to what the Jayco instruction manual says, I close the dump valve for 1-1/2 minutes to let the BW Tank partially fill. Then I open the valve and allow the tank to drain. If needed, I'll repeat that process. Since I can turn the wand and move it around inside the black tank, I've found I get a much better flush than I ever did with the built-in black tank flush. After the second time I used it, the level indicators started working again. My wand had four "fixed" holes. A couple of months ago, I found one with a "spinner" on the end. It has both more water pressure and more water flow than the "fixed hole" wand had, so it does an even better job. Once the water coming out of the drain is clear, I shut the water off, then go inside to remove the wand from the hose, and feed the hose back out the door. With this new wand, the whole process only takes about 15 minutes.
I also leave my back tank valve closed while using the flush (I use both the in tank and the wand) BUT, I will never walk away from that task. I will not do anything else other than flush and dump the tank as getting distracted and not remembering the valve is closed will be disastrous!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I also leave my back tank valve closed while using the flush (I use both the in tank and the wand) BUT, I will never walk away from that task. I will not do anything else other than flush and dump the tank as getting distracted and not remembering the valve is closed will be disastrous!!
+1

I set a timer on my phone, and/or my watch. DW thinks I'm "wasting time" standing there waiting for the tank to fill. But I explained to her in detail what could happen if I "forget" about it and it overflows. She stopped asking questions. She doesn't deal with the "waste management" function! LOL!!

To be fair and honest, I might actually do a couple other things while I wait for the tank to fill, but never more than a few feet away from the blade valve or the water valve, and never without a timer running.

I hope I never have to go after that check valve, I don't even want to think about how difficult that will be to access in my rig...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:00 AM   #6

Check valve stuck closed
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
+1

I set a timer on my phone, and/or my watch. DW thinks I'm "wasting time" standing there waiting for the tank to fill. But I explained to her in detail what could happen if I "forget" about it and it overflows. She stopped asking questions. She doesn't deal with the "waste management" function! LOL!!

To be fair and honest, I might actually do a couple other things while I wait for the tank to fill, but never more than a few feet away from the blade valve or the water valve, and never without a timer running.

I hope I never have to go after that check valve, I don't even want to think about how difficult that will be to access in my rig...
I usually do the same thing. That’s what seemed odd. I waited a while to let it fill, and then when I pulled the handle and nothing came out, that’s a problem.

Never heard of a check valve failing - not sure if there’s anything I can do to fix that, but it seems like warranty work to me...
Old 03-19-2021, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
Check valve stuck closed
Any idea if this is something that can be remedied, or a replace only?
Old 03-19-2021, 09:20 PM   #9

On my old motor home the check valve was part of the 3/4 water hose connector identical to the fresh water inlet check valve. I don’t know about the Jayco
Old 03-19-2021, 11:03 PM   #10

Just did some searching in other posts. This is what check valve looks like
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/a...6&d=1508091503
It is called a vacuum breaker/ check valve
Old 03-20-2021, 06:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post

Never heard of a check valve failing - not sure if there’s anything I can do to fix that, but it seems like warranty work to me...
Check valves fail all the time. Especially the factory ones that manufacturers bury deep inside inaccessible places!
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Check valves fail all the time. Especially the factory ones that manufacturers bury deep inside inaccessible places!
+1

That's why I'm afraid...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote