Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2021, 09:00 PM   #1

Hitch Question

Hello, I am looking at buying a used 2017 293rkds from an individual. I have a 2016 short bed ram. My question is would I need a slider hitch for this camper?
Lt_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:20 AM   #2

With ram it's possible. I have a slider but to this day haven't used it. On level ground I can make a pretty sharp turn. Also depends on your pin in relation to your end cap. I'm thinking of getting rid of the slider rails. They're somewhat noisy too.
Camperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:41 AM   #3

Here is a picture of the pin if it helps
Attached Thumbnails
2628496C-294F-4DB6-BD84-BF802B1751FD.jpg  
Old 03-19-2021, 08:06 AM   #4

Probably the same as mine. I haven't noticed it getting too close to the pillar on my turns. First thing I did was go to a parking lot and see how far I could bend it before I got concerned. I know I can't go full 90 but I can get 75 degrees. I'm going to run this slider hitch a few more months... if I'm convinced i don't need it I'm getting a solid mount. My neighbor is a Ford guy and he goggles every time I hook up lol. I've not interviewed a GM guy yet so I don't know what they do.

I'd say if you want to play it safe, find a good slider. Key word is good one. Mine is a CURT... which I think are quality hitches, but the sliders are still quite clumpy... it at least mine is.

Let's hope others chime in a I've only had a 5th wheel for a year now.
Camperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:04 AM   #5

I run the Anderson on my 18 Ram, just have to watch when getting close to 90
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt_Dan View Post
Hello, I am looking at buying a used 2017 293rkds from an individual. I have a 2016 short bed ram. My question is would I need a slider hitch for this camper?
We have a 2017 Eagle 293RKDS. Not many of those models were built. We factory ordered ours. We got one of the last ones built. Towed it at first with an 07 Ram reg cab 2500 long bed diesel and now a 18 Ram crew cab 3500 long bed diesel.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #7

Lt Dan, I own a 2016 RAM short box Diesel. I have towed the 321RLTS, 37MDQS and currently the 32RLTS, all Pinnacles and all without at slider. Your question will indeed get numerous responses. I will address your questions directly. NO, YOU DO NOT NEED A SLIDER TO PULL THAT 5'ER. Now that being said does not eliminate the fact that you must use common sense and awareness when backing into a site. Yes, you can hit the cab of your truck and this will occur mostly when your 5'er drops down in ditch, hole, whatever, which means the 5'er will tilt in that direction and bring the cap closer to the cab. This happens even if you have 5-6" of bed rail clearance when in a 75 degree plus turn. Understand, I am speaking of when backing into a site. Going forward, it is rare you would be in that situation but it could happen. There are strong-minded people who will contradict my statement backed with sad stories albeit, stories without total content of "how did you get into that situation". None the less, it is your decision and your equipment. With or without a slider, and applying common sense, you are fine. Hope this helps more than confuse. Happy travels and camping. SKIDAWG
2022 RAM 3500 6.7L
Ruger, Rhodesian Ridgebacks
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:28 PM   #8

Our “Blue Oval” is a short bed and I do not have a slider. In our first year (we are now in the 7th yr) my insurance co. spent a touch over $500 for me to learn I could not make a full-lock U-turn (rear window). I still have the non-slider but now use caution when backing. I can get close to 75 deg and I’ve not found anyplace I couldn’t get into or out of.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
We have a 2017 Eagle 293RKDS. Not many of those models were built. We factory ordered ours. We got one of the last ones built. Towed it at first with an 07 Ram reg cab 2500 long bed diesel and now a 18 Ram crew cab 3500 long bed diesel.

Earl

Do you know why not very many were built? Do you like yours? An major issues a with it?
Old 03-19-2021, 09:45 PM   #10

Thank you all for the information. It’s greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt_Dan View Post
For what it's worth, I pulled a 2018 Grand Design 29RS full time for just under 2yrs that looked exactly like the picture you posted re profile and pin position. We have a GMC 3500hd Duramax crew cab with a "standard" box, which is to say about 6ft 5in long box.

We chose to install the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. I had a B&W gooseneck ball hitch installed in the truck bed, the Anderson clamped onto that. The way that mounted in the bed and the red coupler was mounted on the pin, the 5er pin was about 4-6 inches rearward of the truck axel.

When we picked up the 5er, the service manager had me, slowly, crank the wheel to one side, pulled forward and stopped when he told me to. Then look in the side mirror, sight down the body line of the truck at the front of the 5er. Memorize that spot, don't turn tighter than that spot. Then we did the same on the other side. We also set the pin height to two fists tall between the truck bed rail and the bottom of the 5er over hang.

No, you can't jack knife to 90-degs. But you can turn further than you need to. As mentioned above, you can hit the cab of your truck if you're not careful. When in doubt, use a spotter. Knock on wood, we never hit the cab.

Maybe it depends on the kind of places you want to put the 5er to camp. But in general, I don't think you need or have to have a slider. But that's probably a personal choice, not some hard and fast rule.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:02 AM   #12

This is my $.02; slider hitches were designed for standard bed trucks for a reason. You dont see them in long bed trucks, not needed. However, trailer manufacturers have started to manufacture the fronts of trailers with more cut back to HELP with the clearance issues associated with 5er's and standard beds. Does it solve it? No.
Years ago I remember an oil filter commercial that had a motto of pay a little now instead of a lot later.
It's easy for me to spend someone else's money, but I'd say put one in. You may not use it, but that one time you need it, the extra money you spent for it will be worth it.
My truck is 4wd and I specifically bought it for pulling our trailer. It doesnt even get driven in the winter. Yet the one time I need 4wd, it's there.
I have 2 friend that have standard bed truck and both have B&W sliders. Both of them said the same thing, the amount of times they've needed the slider can be counted on one hand, but if they didnt have it things would have been ugly.

On a side note, if you decide to buy that unit, or any other 5er for that matter, do yourself, your occupants, and your rig a big favor, ditch that standard solid pinbox and put on an aftermarket one like a Moryde, Trailair, etc... Night and day difference in the ride going down the road.