Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2022, 06:41 PM   #41

Found this posted on the Grand Design site.

https://www.classaction.org/news/che...edded-document
Jaytow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:49 PM   #42

This kind of problem should certainly be reported to
https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:48 AM   #43

Update: I called Lippert to see if I could get any support on my broken Frame. Very friendly Lady. She opened a claim for me. They asked for a bunch of pictures, VIN# and a picture of their tag. After a couple of weeks of back and forth. They are going to send a Service Tech to my house and repair it free of charge. I was pretty shocked since I am not the original owner.
Frosty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 11:34 AM   #44

I am so glad to hear that! Hope everything works out. Keep us posted.
The Walker Tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:16 PM   #45
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
......... Also broken/failed welds have nothing to do with how the frame is spec'ed.
So if I spec a frame for 12 gauge ( or fill in the blank) as opposed to say a heavier 7 gauge ( or fill in the blank) and the welds fail that most defintely couldn't be because the thinner 12 gauge flexes and places more stress on the welds than would the heavier 7 gauge?
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
So if I spec a frame for 12 gauge ( or fill in the blank) as opposed to say a heavier 7 gauge ( or fill in the blank) and the welds fail that most defintely couldn't be because the thinner 12 gauge flexes and places more stress on the welds than would the heavier 7 gauge?
Not when the failures were reported as almost "zero" penetration.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:51 PM   #47
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Not when the failures were reported as almost "zero" penetration.
Well they weren't, outside cherry picking for isolated incidents, and as the frame failures are widespread that welder who can't lay a bead sure must get around. Meantime, the frame failures are attributed to issues with faulty axles and how the axles are secured to frames which are insufficiently rigid enough to keep from flexing and stressing welds and in some cases the frame itself is cracking. The frames are constructed that way and the type steel being used is a particular gauge because that's how they're spec'd.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:16 PM   #48

Same Here!

Just returned from a 8 day camping trip from east to central PA, pre trip inspection everything was perfect.. returned home spring shackles bent and frame is cracked on all spots that Lippert welded supports at hanger areas…. Bummer…. 2017 Eagle HT 29.5
Swansong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:28 AM   #49

I started noticing cracks in the frame of my unit a year (2017 RSTS) or so back. They were all right around the gussets by the axle area. My neighbor is a retired welder so he offered to help me. He taught me how to clean up the area and grind the crack a bit before filling it with his welder. He said if the cracks come back we will just plate the area.

I havent welded since High School and that was 45 years ago. So I bought a cheap stick welder and welded up a new crack thats just developed. I am not the original owner so I thought I was SOL and didnt contact Jayco/Lippert. I have also previously put a Lippert correct track system on the trailer and also larger tires in a effort to get it to ride more level which I was sure they would have given me grief for if I tried to get any type of good gesture work done on it.

So last week I did my first crack repair and weld on my own. On the inside of the frame rail under the belly plastic there is a welded cross member hanger and thats right where the outside rusted crack was for this fix. There easy to find because the cracks start to rust making it very obvious you have cracks. This is my 5th area thats been repaired/welded the the first 4 my neighbor did have not come back and there a year old with 10K miles on them.

I can say with 100% accuracy that all the cracks happened where they welded either a hanger onto, brace onto, gusset unto etc. So that leeds me to believe the cracks are from improper welding on the frame on the manufacturers end.

Heres my first weld attempt and if the crack comes back I will just plate the area.
Attached Thumbnails
20220930_114929_resized.jpg  
Attached Images

Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:21 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
I started noticing cracks in the frame of my unit a year (2017 RSTS) or so back. They were all right around the gussets by the axle area. My neighbor is a retired welder so he offered to help me. He taught me how to clean up the area and grind the crack a bit before filling it with his welder. He said if the cracks come back we will just plate the area.

I havent welded since High School and that was 45 years ago. So I bought a cheap stick welder and welded up a new crack thats just developed. I am not the original owner so I thought I was SOL and didnt contact Jayco/Lippert. I have also previously put a Lippert correct track system on the trailer and also larger tires in a effort to get it to ride more level which I was sure they would have given me grief for if I tried to get any type of good gesture work done on it.

So last week I did my first crack repair and weld on my own. On the inside of the frame rail under the belly plastic there is a welded cross member hanger and thats right where the outside rusted crack was for this fix. There easy to find because the cracks start to rust making it very obvious you have cracks. This is my 5th area thats been repaired/welded the the first 4 my neighbor did have not come back and there a year old with 10K miles on them.

I can say with 100% accuracy that all the cracks happened where they welded either a hanger onto, brace onto, gusset unto etc. So that leeds me to believe the cracks are from improper welding on the frame on the manufacturers end.

Heres my first weld attempt and if the crack comes back I will just plate the area.
I would never instal a Correct Track from Lippert and in fact may be contributing to some of your issues. In the video below you'll see how the correct track cause the spring hangers to wiggle sideways. To much flex in all the components. Maybe your set up is different but if it's not then removing the correct track may alleviate some of your problems.

goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:59 AM   #51

That video doesnt give me any warm and fuzzy feelings. Would have been interesting to see the same video without the correct track system and see if it shimmied around like the video. My undercarriage is different than that one and I havent seen any cracks in my hangers or suspension area as of yet. I also had to add another bolt set up on the center hanger (bringing it to 3) because it kept shifting. With 3 bolts its rock solid. I also did wet bolts on the suspension pivot areas not that that would make a difference for this issue. Also had my tires balanced before I put the correct track on 3+ years ago and have over 30K miles towing it so its been tested for a while. I like that my trailers tows level but I will keep a eye on it though. Thanks.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:02 AM   #52

2018 Eagle HT 25.5 REOK frame issues

After seeing this thread a few months ago our Eagle HT went down with frame issues. I called our dealer and they said they weren’t aware of Eagle HT’s having any issues. I’m sure they are told to say that. It was a scary ride bringing it to them but we made it. After some inspection and pictures and measurements sent, a Lippert tech came to our dealer and “beefed it up”. We got it back just in time to winterize it and put it into storage. It seemed to tow nice on our way home from the dealer. We’ll see how it goes next year during the camping season. I have asked for pictures of before and after the repairs but don’t think I’m going to get any. The dealer couldn’t even provide much detail on the repairs since Lippert did all the work in their parking lot. It’s scary to think how many of these light frames are going down the road every day. We missed out on 2 planned camping trips because of this but the saving grace is that we didn’t see a bill for the repairs.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:21 PM   #53

The service truck that showed up was an actual Lippert Truck. Took him about four hours to complete the repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0918.jpg   IMG_1023.jpg   Lippert_repair.jpg   Patch.jpg  
Old 11-21-2022, 04:25 PM   #54

Thats some pretty goobered up looking welding on the plate. But at least it's done.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 05:10 PM   #55

He stick welded it. I had to take the center cross tube out. I went ahead and installed that Roadmaster slipper spring/shock set up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1022.jpg   IMG_1023.jpg   shocks.jpg  
Old 11-26-2022, 08:00 AM   #56

My RV insurance wouldn't cover frame breaks saying it was a mechanical problem. What's the name of your RV insurance company? I may switch. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walker Tribe View Post
I have a 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS that I recently pulled to Alaska and back. On my way home, I was in the Yukon when my frame cracked. The frame was so severely cracked I couldn’t pull the unit. I called for roadside assistance which took about 6 hours for them to arrive. With chains and boomers we were able to stabilize the trailer frame so it could be towed. We then proceeded to drive 250 miles to Whitehorse at the breakneck speed of 30 mph.
The frame cracked laterally just above the wheel wells. When the repair was done we placed 3 cross members with angle bracing to prevent further issues. The trailer is more stable and pulls better than new. We pulled it over 4,000 miles home.
I did not contact Lippert or Jayco, just my insurance company. The insurance covered the cost of the repairs and roadside assistance. They did total the 5th wheel when I got back home. I bought it back.
If you have a Jayco Eagle HT put cross members on it now![ATTACH]Attachment 83418[/ATTACH] ATTACH]83419[/ATTACH
Bob of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:31 PM   #57

Can anyone tell me if this problem effects 2021 28.5 RSTS or did they make any improvements since?
TIA
Chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 12:22 PM   #58

My understanding per reading of topic, the frames were re-designed after 2020 model year..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 04:09 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
My understanding per reading of topic, the frames were re-designed after 2020 model year..

Thanks, anyway to confirm this?
Chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 01:10 PM   #60

2021 28.5 rsts... same issue. frame cracking

Chino, doesn't look like they fixed the issue. here is my 2021 28.5 rsts. Cracked on both side of the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
20230421_140634.jpg   20230421_141733.jpg  
Martyx213 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame bent, frame boken