Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2022, 11:07 AM   #1

Broken Frame - Eagle HT 27.5RLTS

Hello. I have a 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS fifth-wheel. The frame is broken in at least six places and the main rails are severely bent. There is probably also frame damage near the king pin box. There is also damage to the cabin from the frame problems (e.g. the cabin is tilted to one side, slides out of alignment, side walls separating from floor). This is not from an accident but after normal use.

Insurance denied my claim saying it's from mechanical failure and deterioration. Lippert has offered to repair the frame. Damage to the cabin is being discussed. I've reached out to Jayco but not heard back yet.

Has anyone else had similar frame issues? If so, what was your experience with Lippert and Jayco? Your advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5481.jpg   IMG_5297.jpg   IMG_5289.jpg  
Bob of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:23 PM   #2

many many reports on the Eagle HT's 2017 - 2019 with this problem. A few months back one person actually was going to file a class action law suit.. He went silent and never heard the outcome.. I suspect Jayco gave him a new trailer in return for his silence. But yes, this is a known problem with that model.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:59 PM   #3

Kirkelli. Very interesting. Can you give me any more information? Was there an earlier thread about this? I’ve never been active in an online forum and I welcome advice about how to navigate to learn more about my situation. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob of Eden View Post
Kirkelli. Very interesting. Can you give me any more information? Was there an earlier thread about this? I’ve never been active in an online forum and I welcome advice about how to navigate to learn more about my situation. Thanks.
the person that talked about legal action was on this forum, try a search. Also many people have talked about their frame problems on the Eagle HT's here and many on iRV2 Forum. Your problem looks to be the worse i've seen. I would spend a little on an Attorney. Looks like you have solid ground for legal acton. How many miles do you have on the rig.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:20 AM   #5

I bought my 28.5 used at 1 year old so I have no warranty. I have welded up 4 cracks in my frame already. All near and probably due to the welded stiffener plates near the axle area. All cracks followed there welds original from the factory/frame manufacturer. I have another area that just developed so I will need to weld that too when I am back to my home base this fall.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:26 AM   #6

Thanks Jim. Do you know of others with Eagle HT's with broken frame issues? I'm trying to determine how widespread of a problem this is.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:31 AM   #7

Thanks for your advice. We tow it a moderate amount. I'll check iRV2. I haven't found any thread on jaycoowners.com regarding consideration of or mention of a potential class action lawsuit but that would be very interesting.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob of Eden View Post
Thanks for your advice. We tow it a moderate amount. I'll check iRV2. I haven't found any thread on jaycoowners.com regarding consideration of or mention of a potential class action lawsuit but that would be very interesting.
In depth legal discussions or threats of legal action often get closed or removed since they are not permitted on JOF.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
In depth legal discussions or threats of legal action often get closed or removed since they are not permitted on JOF.
Thank you. I remembered the thread but couldn't find it.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Thank you. I remembered the thread but couldn't find it.
Thanks for checking.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:32 AM   #11

28.5 RSTS. 2019 Have had cracked frame, bent axles. Lippert welded the frame and it has held up for 2 years.
Dexter replaced both bent axles for abnormal tire wear. Lippert put one of the axles on when welding frame. Our dealership put on the other axle.

Strongly suggest you take it to Lippert factory if at all possible. They did us right.

I asked the guy why they put these weak frames out there, and he said they build them to Jayco specs.

Also, we have had all the front overhang issues .Sidewall separation, sidewall crack at slide corner. These were repaired 3 times, once at dealership, twice at Jayco. Jayco ended up stripping the sidewall off of the frame, then bringing in Lippert to fix the frame.

All that was within 2 year warranty. Now out of normal warranty, and I'm going to start a claim with Dexter about flattened springs.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
28.5 RSTS. 2019 Have had cracked frame, bent axles. Lippert welded the frame and it has held up for 2 years.
Dexter replaced both bent axles for abnormal tire wear. Lippert put one of the axles on when welding frame. Our dealership put on the other axle.

Strongly suggest you take it to Lippert factory if at all possible. They did us right.

I asked the guy why they put these weak frames out there, and he said they build them to Jayco specs.

Also, we have had all the front overhang issues .Sidewall separation, sidewall crack at slide corner. These were repaired 3 times, once at dealership, twice at Jayco. Jayco ended up stripping the sidewall off of the frame, then bringing in Lippert to fix the frame.

All that was within 2 year warranty. Now out of normal warranty, and I'm going to start a claim with Dexter about flattened springs.
Thanks for the info. Your experience sounds similar. I can't get the camper to the Lippert factory because it is in CA and not road-worthy. I'm just starting to work with Lippert and sent a letter to Jayco. We'll see.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:30 PM   #13

Thanks for this post. I checked my 2020 and found the same issues. Have a welder coming out to look at a fix. saved my booty I think.

Frosty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Then why have there been reports of Lippert frame failures across other brands and not every rig? Also broken/failed welds have nothing to do with how the frame is spec'ed.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:03 PM   #15

I bought mine used. Could be from overloading/abuse I suppose. Hard to prove that's not the case.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:23 PM   #16

Our 2017 Eagle HT came with the bottom insulation package making frame visual inspection impossible. Looking for typical crack locations if someone has the info.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:45 AM   #17

Lippert's been building cheap frames for the last 13 years. That's how long I've been reading brand forums.
What's interesting is the brands that don't use Lippert frames very rarely if ever have weld failures.
Just because Lippert builds most all TT/5er frames is no excuse for poor welds.
I've been welding since high school (1971 Grad) and it's really not that hard to lay down a nice bead.
It also doesn't help if Lippert is using cheap China steel.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Lippert's been building cheap frames for the last 13 years. That's how long I've been reading brand forums.
What's interesting is the brands that don't use Lippert frames very rarely if ever have weld failures.
I've been welding since high school (1971 Grad) and it's really not that hard to lay down a nice bead.
i learned to weld in H.S. and never laid a bead for 45 years thereafter.. Recently i purchased a Lincoln Stick welder went to town building a new Kayak carrier and two receivers on the trailer frame. My welding beads looked better than what i saw on my trailer frame.. i'm not sure where Lippeert get's there welders but i think they would have a better results recruiting them from High School metal shops.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
The "Automotive grade" NexGen frame by BAL had multiple issues on my previous fifth wheel. major frame repairs!

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 04:40 PM   #20

My cracks are visible on the outside of the frame between the front leaf hangar and the center hangar. Look for the lateral roll of the hangars. That's the key.

I'll post a fix after my welder looks at it tomorrow. He has 30 years repairing Counterweight trailers for Cranes.

Tags
frame bent, frame boken