Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2021, 07:29 PM   #21

I joined the broken spring club. Towed about 350 miles, just got off a 70 mph highway and was pulling into our campground. Hit some nasty potholes at about 20 mph, heard some clanging and saw smoke. Thought I blew out a tire, turns out I broke the spring. Thankfully we were 300 years from our site. Got it into the site, got it leveled by parking half off the site.

Found a local shop that had a spring, bought 2 of them at $94/a piece (ouch), but they were in stock and we were continuing on to Vermont 2 days later.

Got the broken one changed in the campground, inspected the rest. I'll order 2 more springs and change out the other 3 when I get home. Upgraded from 2200 lbs 4 leaf springs to 3000 lbs 5 leaf.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210728_141053.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	74268
spoon059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:00 PM   #22

Yikes!

I hate it when the front spring perch fails. Totally messed up the alignment and wear out a tire quickly.

I jave broken an equalizer years ago, but not a spring. But I noticed last week on my utility trailer a leaf that does not look quite right.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:24 PM   #23

seems like your unit is still alive. We came off of a 7500 mile round trip from NY to California. Then a trip up north to visit a friend. ON the way back we went over a small bridge that goes over a creek and the leaf spring broke on our SLX195RB. AT 40mph the trailer violently rocked, the right side tired pushed through the wheel well and move the dinette from the well, the frame bent, etc. It was totaled and Liberty Insurance was good to us. Just for the hay of it, I contacted Drexel Spring and they wanted me to complete some warranty info. I told them to forget about it as the trailer was toast. What a shame. It was a really nice unit and our 2nd home while we traveled
artie p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:29 PM   #24

Most of the leaf springs are made from cheap Chinese steel, to keep cost down. I worked in a machine shop for for years and had to machine that crap. Junk!