Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2020, 05:07 AM   #1

Demco or Pullrite

I know there's alot of hitch posts here but didn't want to hijack anyone elses thread. Just purchased a 2020 357MDOK and will be picking up on April 11th. We will be pulling with a 2019 F350 SRW SCrew 6.75 bed diesel. I was originally looking at the B@W companion slider but was then told about the Pullrite Superglide, which I pretty much was set on. Yesterday when we went to do the paperwork and pay for the trailer, the parts manager said he recommended the Demco Hijacker, mainly because the Pullrite needs to be hooked up neAr perfectly straight. Is the Demco the same way? Obviously backing in straight isn't always possible with such a big 5er. Any advice on what's going to be the best bet? Dealer had the Demco 20k on sale for $1399 but I can get the Pullrite 16k online with the capture plate for 1200 with free shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200307_123905902_HDR.jpg  
Trigger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:11 AM   #2

Congrats on the new 5er. We have the Demco 18K autoslide pulljng a Pinnacle and love it. If you have the Morryde hitch you will need an adapter plate. Per the operator's manual you have to be 10 deg to 15 dag of being straight when coupling or uncoupling. You should be able to get the Ops Manual on the Demco websute.
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:13 AM   #3

I have the Pullrite that fits in the Ford puck system. I was looking at both Pullrite and Demco last year like you are now. For me, it just came down to the Pullrite meets or exceeds SAE J2638 testing. You can check this out on Pullrite’s website. I have not had any issues with the Pullrite. It rides very smooth. I also have the MORryde rubber pinbox. I think both the Demco and Pullrite have the same specs for aligning the hitch to the fifth wheel; 10 to 15 deg. See my signature below for truck and fifth wheel info.

Fyrehuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:43 AM   #4

My uncle has a Pullrite bandits a love hate thing for him. He likes the auto slide feature and kind of needs it because he pulls a Cedar Creek and it doesnt have much cutback in the front cap area. When it comes the coupling and uncoupling, that's where the hate part comes in. You can only be off a very few degrees of any angle otherwise it wont couple/uncouple. However, I have 2 friends that I installed B&W sliders in their trucks and one pulls a newer Cedar Creek that has a little more cutback in the front cap and has only used the slide feature a couple times. When it comes time to couple/uncouple, you can be off quite a bit and it still works. We've tested it even at way more than a 45* angle and it works just fine. My B&W is not a slider because I have a long box and I can couple/uncouple mine at a 90*angle if I want. Even if the tilt is quite a bit itll couple up on mine and my buddy's sliders. My other buddy pulls a Jayco 29.5 BHDS and same thing, only used the slider a couple of times and that been backing into a site that's kind of tight. All 4 of us have 1 thing in common, we are all pulling with Silverado's. 2 are 2016, mine is a 15, all same body style and my uncle is a 2020 which is a little different but pretty close to the rest as far as the box and rear of the cab go.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:43 AM   #5

Hi
We have the pullrite superglide on our F250 with morryde rpb n the eagle.
It works great. I found a way around the 10-15 degree angle for hookup and unhook.
Only do this when I have to but it works
Have to watch the tailgate very carefully!
Pull the saddle pins on each side and lift the saddle still on kingpin up high enough to clear bedrails.
Watch your tailgate and bedrails on both hookup and connecting up. It can be done.
I don't recommend it if on an unlevel spot.
Make sure you have wheel chocks well seated
I have done it to get the trailer over to one side in our shed instead of centered in the doorway.

YMMV
RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #6

Just for your Info: I have the B&W companion slider on 2019 F-250 with the puck system and tow an HT with the standard Lippert pin box. Ford has the longest bed length of all the short-bed trucks, and I have found I do not need to use the slide unless I am backing into a very uneven site, and then it is largely to get better bed clearance. I can make very sharp turns in gas stations etc with the B&W without sliding the hitch. I have the hitch pivot set at the position that is 1" forward of the axle center line rather than the 3" forward position.
I've often thought it would be nice to have a hitch that slides back only a few inches, as I have never needed the full 12"
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #7

I have the Demco 16k with a MORyde pinbox. I picked it for 2 reasons. It was a little cheaper and it has 3 height settings. I am currently on the middle setting with 5 1/2” tailgate clearance. And as others have said, you have to be good at backing your truck up, it’s not very forgiving. After a little practice and insuring your hitch is straight when unhitching it gets easier. I also cannot use the bed camera when backing up, I have to look directly at the hitch. Usually 3-4 adjustments and I’m good.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:32 AM   #8
eow

I was a newbie to FW last season and went with the Pullrite Superglide because of a steep uphill driveway and the need to make a sharp turn. I have never had an issue with not being able to couple or uncouple because of lack of alignment. But if ever did, plan B would be what Roadrunner described. Keep in mind that it only has to be aligned for about the last 9 inches of TV movement to couple. Think of it as parallel parking if ever in a tight spot.

My only complaint with the Pullrite SuperGlide is the lack of height adjustment (and weight like most hitches). Overall I like that I do not have to worry about taking out my truck cab with the nose of the FW.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:11 PM   #9

Here is a post I started years ago and I still stand by Pullrite for this reason. I now have had my Pullrite for 8 years ish and still going strong

We have had our Pullrite Superglide for about 5 years now. Last trip out I had an issue hitching where the jaw would not close. After many blue words I figured out how to work it but it wasn't correct. I called Pullrite the next day and they spoke to me at length and asked me to send pictures and I did. They never asked the age of my hitch or anything about how long I owned it or where I purchased it. They looked at the pics and sent me a repair kit no charge. I installed the kit and found it not to work. Another call and they sent me a new jaw. Replaced that and everything works just like new. I'm very happy with the way they back up their warrenty and they even shipped my items overnight upon my request.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:46 PM   #10

[QUOTE=I've often thought it would be nice to have a hitch that slides back only a few inches, as I have never needed the full 12"[/QUOTE]

That's the beauty of an autoslide hitch it only moves aft relative to the angle of the turn. The sharper the turn the further aft it will move all without having to get out of the truck.
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Ordered the Pullrite this morning.
Trigger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #12

I order a PullRite also but I didn't go with the slider but from what I'm hearing that Pullrite have top-notch CS.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:01 PM   #13

Oh, welcome to the forum and congrats.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote