Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2021, 07:31 PM   #1

Dexter axle issues North Point

Well what a day it has been. We left Chattanooga to escape the issue of tornadoes and heading south on I-75 through Atlanta was pothole heaven. Got to Opelika and noticed the left rear tire was tilted in at the top and out at the bottom noticeably.
Jayco said get it towed. We got a quote to low boy tow it based on Jayco recommendation for $5,000 to the nearest Jayco dealer. Lesson learned, roadside towing only usually covers $100. Wow.
The trailer is sitting now in a secure location, but we believe the spindle may be bent. The local ford dealer jacked it up and the wheel would not move by hand in and out like when a wheel bearing is bad, but when you put it back down on the ground it looked straight. The moment you move forward it leans in at the top and out at the bottom. If you back up then it straightens back up.
Having a roadside tech check it tomorrow to make sure spindle is issue before paying the price for the tow.
Anyone have experience with this?
wicksmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicksmith1 View Post
Well what a day it has been. We left Chattanooga to escape the issue of tornadoes and heading south on I-75 through Atlanta was pothole heaven. Got to Opelika and noticed the left rear tire was tilted in at the top and out at the bottom noticeably.
Jayco said get it towed. We got a quote to low boy tow it based on Jayco recommendation for $5,000 to the nearest Jayco dealer. Lesson learned, roadside towing only usually covers $100. Wow.
The trailer is sitting now in a secure location, but we believe the spindle may be bent. The local ford dealer jacked it up and the wheel would not move by hand in and out like when a wheel bearing is bad, but when you put it back down on the ground it looked straight. The moment you move forward it leans in at the top and out at the bottom. If you back up then it straightens back up.
Having a roadside tech check it tomorrow to make sure spindle is issue before paying the price for the tow.
Anyone have experience with this?
$5,000? How far was it being towed? We had our truck & trailer tandem towed about 89 miles and it cost us nothing. We have AAA Premium RV Plus so we get 200 miles on one tow per year. Our truck broke down and we called Ford. They wanted to tow us about 90 miles in the other direction to a Ford dealership. They did send out a truck to get us off the freeway. DW called AAA in the morning, explained we were towing a 5th wheel, where we needed to go & they sent out a big boy truck. He did an awesome job, including backing it up at the Ford dealership.

Does your insurance on the vehicle include towing? And does it have to go to the nearest Jayco dealer? Why not a big truck tire place? Or an authorized "Jayco" service place?
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:11 PM   #3

Tow cost

Because of the supposed axle damage, they want it on a low boy. The tow distance was about 90 miles. It sounded like highway robbery. I will be checking on other roadside service for sure. Thanks for putting who you use.
We are hoping just a bent spindle but will know tomorrow.
Our insurance does include towing but only $100 we are now being told.
It does have to go to a jayco dealer we were told, but going to take it to a a local axle shop first.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:09 PM   #4

That still sounds excessive to me even though it's a little specialized
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:10 AM   #5

Quote:
...snip...
It does have to go to a jayco dealer we were told, but going to take it to a a local axle shop first.
Understand the axle problem and would ask about authorization to a local Jayco authorized service center. Of course, not knowing how big the town is or whether they have an authorized service center.

Edit: Did you contact Dexter?
Old 03-26-2021, 06:21 AM   #6

Quote:
If the spindle was bent wouldn't it always lean in at the top? Going forward and reverse shouldn't change it unless the spindle is rotating in my thinking.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:30 AM   #7

There was a recall for axles on some years, I received a notice but my axles were not part of the affected group. Wonder if it’s related at all?
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:08 AM   #8

Update on axle

Kudos to Dexter for acting swiftly. I started a warranty claim form this morning, the on site tech in Opelika was on the phone at the same time. Once he read the serial number off the axle, Connie at Dexter immediately said we know the problem and asked where the new axle needed to be shipped to.
Just waiting now for the ETA on the axle and the local repair company will repair in the parking lot.
Hate that it happened, but Dexter sure did act right. Our dealer, since the camper is only 3 months old, will be going to Jayco to get a new tire for us.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Kudos to Dexter for acting swiftly. I started a warranty claim form this morning, the on site tech in Opelika was on the phone at the same time. Once he read the serial number off the axle, Connie at Dexter immediately said we know the problem and asked where the new axle needed to be shipped to.
Just waiting now for the ETA on the axle and the local repair company will repair in the parking lot.
Hate that it happened, but Dexter sure did act right. Our dealer, since the camper is only 3 months old, will be going to Jayco to get a new tire for us.
Glad all is working out.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Because of the supposed axle damage, they want it on a low boy. The tow distance was about 90 miles. It sounded like highway robbery. I will be checking on other roadside service for sure. Thanks for putting who you use.
We are hoping just a bent spindle but will know tomorrow.
Our insurance does include towing but only $100 we are now being told.
I manage a motorcoach company including our maintenance and repair shop here in the once great State of NY.

On occasion we have to have our 45 foot motorcoaches towed to a vendor. A 200 mile tow on a low boy trailer costs us on average $1300. I think the 5K fee is absolute BS.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:16 PM   #11

A little breakdown and Dexter steps up and covers it for you with no hassle? That alone deserves a big shout out to Dexter and their customer service! Most places these days just want to deny everything or make you someone else's problem by pointing the finger the other way.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
A little breakdown and Dexter steps up and covers it for you with no hassle? That alone deserves a big shout out to Dexter and their customer service! Most places these days just want to deny everything or make you someone else's problem by pointing the finger the other way.
Exactly...Jayco gave us the run around and finally said not our problem, contact Lippert. Lippert has stepped up to pay .5 hour per outrigger replacement.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:33 AM   #13

What rig and year do u have? Good they stepped up. Question is as soon as u gave the axle S/N they knew the problem. To me that is not a good sign!
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:14 PM   #14

New Tire

Quote:
I went through similar issue. Jayco paid for replacement tire, but not labor or shipping. Tire was about $370 and took a little over 2 weeks to get it. They don’t stock them. Dexter was really great replacing the axle, but that also took sometime to get.
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 03:21 PM   #15

My friend owns a 2020 Northpoint. He received a recall notice on the axles. His serial numbers were not in the group recalled however. I would certainly check for any recall so that if you qualify, you could get both axles replaced, and not just the problematic one.
Fork in the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:02 PM   #16

Recall

Is there a website to check for recalls for Dexter axles?
Old 04-03-2021, 05:19 PM   #17

You might try to Google NHTSA RV recalls.
Fork in the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:17 PM   #18

I have a 2018 Jayco MDQS and when one of my wheels was sqeaking. I decided to lube all 4. It took 1/2 large tube of axel grease to lube each wheel! I had less than 1000 miles since new at the time. All good ever since. Good utube videos show how to jack and lube while slowly spinning the tire till excess comes out. Wipe off the excess from inside the grease tube. I believe that from manufacture, minimal grease us added and dealers don't add any at time of delivery. I was lucky as my bearings did not overheat and fail.

Only jack up on spring shackles and never on the axel tube. Even big tire shops do not know that!

Good luck everyone!

Richard
rchilibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:31 AM   #19

!/2 of a tube would sound right when you consider that you have to fill the whole hub/spindle cavity vs just the bearings themselves.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #20

Another axle problem

I had the rear axle replaced because of issues this year, now only towing 72 miles (empty) there seems to be an issue with the front axle. The inside of the front passenger tire has worn down to the thread wear indicator. I have less than 4500 miles on this unit, only used it 3 times.

What’s going on with the Dexter axles on North Points?

Tags
axle, bent, dexter