Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #41

Depends on Routes/Vehicle/Location...etc...

Like many others who have posted, it really depends on your situation, tow vehicle and how you camp.
  1. We boondock quite a bit so water is usually always a necessity.
  2. we use 2 different tow vehicles and that also plays a factor
  3. We see a slight drop in mileage (maybe .2 MPG) carrying 90 gallons of water with the diesel and about 1 MPG with the gasoline truck (camper/truck loaded the same for each truck)

Trip size, fuel prices and terrain play a role in which vehicle we take. More mountains means we always take the diesel. Flatter terrain means we take the gasoline truck as fuel price is a little better and the 1 MPG lost or so is negligible.

So without answering your question, I pose a question of all of the above factors need taken into consideration.

Towing better - no difference in towing between either truck - just a slight drop in MPG fuel mileage.
Wear and tear - there is some validity to always towing with full tanks and the wear and tear on the straps, tanks etc.

However, my opinion is, we bought a travel trailer to use it with water when we need it. We rarely have a water source for several days sometimes and even need to carry grey and black water with us. The vehicle is designed to be used and we use all of the features it has in it. Starting our 7th season with this model/travel trailer and the tanks have held up great - they bulge a little in the heat of the summer and then the cool nights, but no issues with the straps breaking free or the tanks themselves. Had to replace a supply hose between our 2 45 gallon tanks due to a puncture, but other than that clean camping.

Hope that helps in some way.
chris@niklaus.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #42

A full 80 gal. water tank weighs about 670 pounds, if you feel hauling that much weight any further than necessary is not an issue, then fill 'er up. Just remember that it's not just about pulling it down the road, It's about starting it moving every time you stop, and stopping it every time you need to. The extra weight contributes to the wear and tear on your tow vehicle as well as trailer brakes. For me, I plan my trips, and carry just enough water to get me close enough to my destination to fill up for the final few miles.
jack straw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #43

Always empty unless it’s a dry site destination. My full 40 gal fresh tank adds over 320lbs. I carry 1-2 gallons of bottled water for rest stops if needed
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabMan View Post
Agree that wind/frontal surface area and speed has the largest affect on mileage. We travel with our FW full probably 75% of the time, 102 gal capacity. I see no difference in mileage full or 1/4 full over the last 4 years/ 60,000+ miles towing. On the other hand, my right foot on the pedal can make or break the mileage. That lack of self control and wind cost me much more in fuel than the ~900# weight difference.
I sometime wonder how much the people worrying about mileage actually tow yearly. I know for a fact the difference between the 9 mpg and 9.8 mpg I typically get with my Duramax spread out over the 15,000 miles year towing we average is less than $350 a year. Not near enough to make me change one way or the other. LOL
you are my hero!!!! who cares about mileage!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #45

No, about 1/3 tank.
baldy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisenvy View Post
I have a 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS. I was wondering if any of you tow with your fresh water tank full. Does it tow better, no difference or tow bad? I have read some tow with a full tank. I was wondering what everyone else does.
My hubby says online tow with a little bit of water (enough to flush the toilet if we have to stop to take a potty break). Waste of fuel.
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 diesel crew cab
Orcuttclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:15 PM   #47

I accidentally towed my 29.5BHDS with water once (partially filled at home and forgot to drain) and it caused the trailer to buck just a little bit. We never boondock, so I always run empty normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #48
Lost in the Woods

We usually empty the tank about every 2 months and refill it. I think its like 20gal on the RBOK27 , not sure...
TXmayvilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #49

We mostly dry camp fill fresh water to max. That's good for about 5 days.Mileage is 11 mpg for our Ram 3500 full or empty!Leaving for Quartsite / the Zoo January 20th!
Attached Thumbnails
100_0357.1584.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #50

Almost always full fresh water 42 gallons. The biggest dent in our mileage is from the wind and mountains.
Bob
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:40 PM   #51

I was told never to have the tanks full. It throws off the balance of the camper. We have a travel trailer and I am thinking if you hit the hills or a turn you can really do a number on the turning factor. Otherwise, no, either bottled if the water is nasty or just for dishes.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #52

So, here's my two cents worth...

1. If the trailer and/or tank can't handle the weight of the water in it, then what's the sense of having it in there. For those that boondock, they HAVE to have them full. It's like saying a dually diesel wasn't meant to tow a large trailer. And those folks with a 1/2 ton truck probably shouldn't put a sheet of plywood in the bed either.
2. Regardless of what you buy, these manufacturers build these as cheap as possible and the bare minimum. They skimp in places that really need overkill, holding tank mounts and supports, tires, wheels, and axles, frame reinforcement areas, etc.. and it doesn't matter how much you pay, I've seen cheaper units built less poorly than a more expensive one.
3. A good point/debate posted earlier, what would be worse, a 50gal tank full of water weighing in at 400# or a 50 gal tank at half capacity ( notice I didn't say half full or half empty? ! ) weighing in at 200# sloshing around back there?
With that being said, the water tank issue, my previous 5th wheel, brand new, I towed with a full tank of water in it quite a few times. We went to a park and within 12 hrs we were out of water. No leaks, and I measured how much water came out of the black/grey tanks to see if it was in there. So, where did it go?? Upon more "testing" at home, I took down the underside skin to find my water tank was about 20 miles of Michigan roads from falling out. The front side of the tank was resting on a frame cross member, which was fine. However, the back side of the tank was on a support made of 1/8" x 2 angle that had 2 screws on each side holding it to the frame. That angle support was bent in the middle so bad it broke the screws out of the one side and the tank was half fallen out. That's where my other 30 gal of water was at. Very cheaply supported. I ended up fixing it with some overkill, but the next trip another issue reared it's ugly head and the boss said we are done with it. Broomed it and bought our current trailer. No water tank issues, YET.
I have towed this one with a full tank and an empty tank. My fuel mileage doesn't seem to suffer much. I can tell if it has a full tank or not back there, but it really doesn't affect the ride is or how it tows much. Just little things.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #53

I realise that, if you're boondocking, you're going to have to haul with full tanks, but...

My concerns about towing full tanks are twofold...

..one, the extra weight and its effect on gas mileage and stability,

..two, I worry about the extra stress on the tank and its mountings if it's getting bounced up and down, full of water. The difference between static and dynamic loads, and all that. I would guess that Jayco specify the tanks and mounts to be just enough for a full tank at rest, and they're not going to spend the extra money to secure it against sudden drops and bounces.

Has anyone asked Jayco about their recommendations and/or warranty conditions?

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #54

I agree with Lake Huron, I have had 6 different fifth wheels since 95 and have always pulled them with full tanks, if I cant then the trailer is useless to me, and on the way back home the black and grey tanks have what ever is used in them.
gowesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisenvy View Post
I have a 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS. I was wondering if any of you tow with your fresh water tank full. Does it tow better, no difference or tow bad? I have read some tow with a full tank. I was wondering what everyone else does.
never tow with full water tank.water in american gallons is 8.3 lbs.per gallon.thats alot of sacrifice if you can get water at your destination.Here in canada water is 10 lbs per gallon(160 ounces)imperial.i Put a little in for travelling maybe 5 gallons.with the price of fuel thesedays I want all the efficiency i can get.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #56

why not just stop at the sani dump and travel lighter
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by trento View Post
never tow with full water tank.water in american gallons is 8.3 lbs.per gallon.thats a lot of sacrifice if you can get water at your destination.Here in canada water is 10 lbs per gallon(160 ounces)imperial.i Put a little in for travelling maybe 5 gallons.with the price of fuel thesedays I want all the efficiency i can get.
How is Canadian water heavier then US water??

My trailer weights over 12k loaded ready to go. 625 lbs of water at that weight isn't even noticeable. At 70 mph at over 12k, fuel economy isnt going to be great, water full or not. Rving is an extremely expensive hobby. When it comes to fuel economy, my concern is making sure my tank has fuel in it when I'm in remote areas, which is 90% of the time.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #58

Anyone ever fill it with beer?
Old 01-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #59

Good point. These things bounce around like Jane Mansfield on a treadmill
Old 01-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #60

Only time I have towed with a tank full of water was on the 120 mile trip home from the dealer. The trailer towed fine and I did not know the tank was full until I got home. The fresh water tank is located right over the axles and I think the extra weight smooths out the ride. Since then we have always camped with full hookups and leave the tank empty. I would not hesitate to fill the tank if needed while towing.
Redslider is offline   Reply With Quote