Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #1

Dropping leaf springs to lower hole ?

For those of you thinking about dropping leaf springs to lower hole- I just dropped mine in our 2017 HT 27.5 RLTS- 16" tires.. (also installed MORyde heavy duty shackle kit)- We were about 1.5" high- now we are about level. We have 20" tires on our 2016 Chevrolet HD 4x4 6.0.
Attached Thumbnails
2017_FW_JPG@1493144469893.jpg  
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #2

Thank you, that's good to know. I'm going to be doing that in September. Did you do it yourself and if you were not mechanically inclined could you, lol?
Old 08-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikefan7 View Post
Thank you, that's good to know. I'm going to be doing that in September. Did you do it yourself and if you were not mechanically inclined could you, lol?
If your just lowering the springs it would take less time- but replacing the nylon bushings you would want a additional ball joint C clamp besides the jacks, jack stands, blocking, impact wrench, torque wrench, etc: It would have been much easier if I was on a level concrete pad instead of a sloping lawn. Not being on a level surface made it extremely difficult. Being 72 did't help either.

I'm glad it is done but although I'm mechanically inclined I would have a reputable shop do it next time.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #4

Archie, I need to do the same thing. Looks like our trucks are twins except mine is Silver and a 2015. My 27.5RKDS has 15" tires so I'm assuming I won't get quite the effect you did. How much height do you have from the FW to your bed rails now ? And what FW hitch do you have ?
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #5

Oh, and BTW, did you happen to measure your height of the FW when attached ?
Reese M5 20K
Old 08-15-2017, 05:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
Archie, I need to do the same thing. Looks like our trucks are twins except mine is Silver and a 2015. My 27.5RKDS has 15" tires so I'm assuming I won't get quite the effect you did. How much height do you have from the FW to your bed rails now ? And what FW hitch do you have ?
No I haven't measured the Ht. yet-- I believe my bed rails are close to 6" Before it was 5"
Old 08-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
Sorry forgot to mention hitch- I have the Revolution Pin box and the Reese Titan 20 K hitch.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #8

Might have to look into this. As of now the front end rides a bit high, but it's fairly close to my bed rails. Haven't measured yet but I will
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #9
tld

In the for-what-its-worth category, when I bought my 2016 Eagle, it was part of the deal that the dealer had to drop the springs to the lower hole to get the fiver to ride level on my F250 4x4. I watched as two service techs, with all the right equipment and having done it several times before, took about two and a half hours to do the job. After watching them, I decided that it was not a job that I would want to undertake in my driveway.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld View Post
In the for-what-its-worth category, when I bought my 2016 Eagle, it was part of the deal that the dealer had to drop the springs to the lower hole to get the fiver to ride level on my F250 4x4. I watched as two service techs, with all the right equipment and having done it several times before, took about two and a half hours to do the job. After watching them, I decided that it was not a job that I would want to undertake in my driveway.
That is crazy. One tech at my dealer did it and dropped the pin box in under an hour as we were finishing up paperwork.

It took me 5 hours to install my wet bolt kit with heavy shackles working by myself in the yard, including collecting tools and cleaning up along with a lunch break. I could get that done in 45 minutes if they let me at it in their shop.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
That is crazy. One tech at my dealer did it and dropped the pin box in under an hour as we were finishing up paperwork.

It took me 5 hours to install my wet bolt kit with heavy shackles working by myself in the yard, including collecting tools and cleaning up along with a lunch break. I could get that done in 45 minutes if they let me at it in their shop.
Wow you are good ! It took me a good (1) hour just to gather my blocking, jacks, jack stands, and set it up under the frame and axles.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:55 AM   #12

We have a RV repair shop about 1/2 mile from our house. I stopped by Friday morning while leaving town for a weekend camping adventure. Talked with the shop foreman and have mine scheduled for the end of the week. They will drop the springs to the lower hole for 150 bucks.
Reese M5 20K
Old 08-28-2017, 07:11 PM   #13

So, if you do it in your driveway....do you hook up to the truck or just leave the front jacks down and then jack the frame behind the rear spring shackle?
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
So, if you do it in your driveway....do you hook up to the truck or just leave the front jacks down and then jack the frame behind the rear spring shackle?
I've read of some going that. I did mine in the grass, which is fairly flat and level.

I'll probably get lambasted for sharing this, but, I used my auto level jacks to lift and hold the camper. After spending a few weekends camping where one side had tires in the air, with all the wiggling and bouncing all weekend long, I had trust built up in the jacks. I did one side at a time and chocked the wheels on the opposite side. By removing the tires, you really don't have to raise the trailer much, if any, besides just leveling it. I used a bottle jack to lift the axles to remove (then later reinstall) the tires. Then I used a bottle jack to raise/lower springs/axles to facilitate switching out the parts. When I wasn't working on an axle, I let it hang freely.

I still got all my body parts so I was lucky, or it was safe to do it that way.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:07 AM   #15

Quote:
I've read of some going that. I did mine in the grass, which is fairly flat and level.

I'll probably get lambasted for sharing this, but, I used my auto level jacks to lift and hold the camper. After spending a few weekends camping where one side had tires in the air, with all the wiggling and bouncing all weekend long, I had trust built up in the jacks. I did one side at a time and chocked the wheels on the opposite side. By removing the tires, you really don't have to raise the trailer much, if any, besides just leveling it. I used a bottle jack to lift the axles to remove (then later reinstall) the tires. Then I used a bottle jack to raise/lower springs/axles to facilitate switching out the parts. When I wasn't working on an axle, I let it hang freely.

I still got all my body parts so I was lucky, or it was safe to do it that way.
As long as your body and its parts aren't under it, than it's not an issue. I've changed blow outs and done bearings and etc using leveling jacks. Now if I need to be under the trailer, than I don't trust the leveling jacks alone.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:50 AM   #16

But, I don't have leveling jacks in the rear, only the landing gear in the front. So, I was worried about torquing the frame if on the front LG and jacked up the frame in the rear on one side.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #17

Quote:
I left mine hooked to the truck and jacks up, no stress on the jacks or frame.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #18

That's kinda what I thought would be best too.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:21 PM   #19

Quote:
But, I don't have leveling jacks in the rear, only the landing gear in the front. So, I was worried about torquing the frame if on the front LG and jacked up the frame in the rear on one side.
If you can put blocking tight up to the frame, jack the axle up to remove the tire, then let the jack down, the frame will be on the blocking and the axle will hang allowing you to work. That's the way I'd do it. Whether you are using landing gear or hooked to the truck, either should work.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #20

Quote:
If you can put blocking tight up to the frame, jack the axle up to remove the tire, then let the jack down, the frame will be on the blocking and the axle will hang allowing you to work. That's the way I'd do it. Whether you are using landing gear or hooked to the truck, either should work.

This is exactly what I did, with jackstands as my blocking. The front of the trailer stayed on the landing gear. Whole job took about 2 hours in a gravel driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote