Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2021, 05:12 PM   #121

Do you guys think something like these will work?

External Hex-Zinc Plated Steel, Number 10 Screw, 3-1/2" Long

https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/leng...ew-size~no-10/
Old 07-13-2021, 06:08 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck5395 View Post
Do you guys think something like these will work?

External Hex-Zinc Plated Steel, Number 10 Screw, 3-1/2" Long

https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/leng...ew-size~no-10/
They should work fine. You may also want to get some #12 as they will not break as easy. Remember you still need to drill a pilot hole for the screw.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:35 PM   #123

So I did the “fix” today on the drivers side of the camper. When drilling I went super slow focusing on keeping it straight and feeling what I was going through. Def felt the wood, 2” in I felt the steel and immediately after the aluminum. However I never felt the other side of the tube I saw in some of the awesome diagrams ( thanks guys, for real. ) I buried a 6” bit straight up and never hit the other side? There was nothing else there. I did a test hole to verify the length of screw I’d need since it seemed to be between 3”-5” in the postings. Based on my findings I went with 3”. Hope it holds up. Now I just have to trim the stickers and seal it back up.

I used teks #12x3” coated roofing self tapping screws and. 3/16” bit to pre-drill definitely got a good bite. We don’t have anything planned for a few weeks now I guess I’ll just keep an eye on it over the rest of the season. Prob going to preemptively do the passenger side as well. Only did the horizontal. May look into it and do the vertical as well basically changing all the shortys out.

So appreciate all the details. I’m a contractor by trade so seeing a plan made me totally comfortable to go after this. Thanks y’all.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:51 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty0 View Post
So I did the “fix” today on the drivers side of the camper. When drilling I went super slow focusing on keeping it straight and feeling what I was going through. Def felt the wood, 2” in I felt the steel and immediately after the aluminum. However I never felt the other side of the tube I saw in some of the awesome diagrams ( thanks guys, for real. ) I buried a 6” bit straight up and never hit the other side? There was nothing else there. I did a test hole to verify the length of screw I’d need since it seemed to be between 3”-5” in the postings. Based on my findings I went with 3”. Hope it holds up. Now I just have to trim the stickers and seal it back up.

I used teks #12x3” coated roofing self tapping screws and. 3/16” bit to pre-drill definitely got a good bite. We don’t have anything planned for a few weeks now I guess I’ll just keep an eye on it over the rest of the season. Prob going to preemptively do the passenger side as well. Only did the horizontal. May look into it and do the vertical as well basically changing all the shortys out.

So appreciate all the details. I’m a contractor by trade so seeing a plan made me totally comfortable to go after this. Thanks y’all.
On the Eagle, the aluminum tube wall frame sits on the steel angle iron. As long as you get into the steel angle, that is the best you can do.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:22 AM   #125

On my 2018 HT28.5RSTS, since Jayco won't stand behind their product, and luckily my dealer will it's being fixed right now. When I get it back hopefully today it's going to the Grand Design dealer for an upgrade to new 320 MKS. Good luck to all those who keep their Jayco but I can no longer stay with Jayco. Love my dealer but not the product he sell.
33ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #126

So has anyone done the verticals as well? Im apprehensive to just start plugging away at it. surely there is something im going to hit that wont like it. I wish they would sell you or have an exploded view just so you could know.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #127

Same Issue

I have the same issue. I first reported it in Sept of 2019 after purchasing my 29.5BHOK. The dealer attempted to fix it but only added silicone. They said they could not find any issues.

I have sense used my fifth wheel on multiple trips and the problem has gotten worse. I have taken it back to the dealer for warranty repairs and am waiting to hear back from them.
Attached Thumbnails
5th 3.jpg   5th 1.jpg   5th 2.jpg  
Cody_5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:16 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody_5er View Post
I have the same issue. I first reported it in Sept of 2019 after purchasing my 29.5BHOK. The dealer attempted to fix it but only added silicone. They said they could not find any issues.

I have sense used my fifth wheel on multiple trips and the problem has gotten worse. I have taken it back to the dealer for warranty repairs and am waiting to hear back from them.
You'll need to go to the factory for a proper fix. They tried longer screws twice on ours- it's not a fix.

Ended up tearing of the sidewall and adding gussets, steel and aluminum. Also steel gussets in the propane bay.

This is a major structural issue, and you really need to escalate it to Jayco customer service. They bring the Lippert people into their factory to assist them with the frame repairs.

Ours was finally fixed as described above, and 7,000 miles later, still solid. (fingers crossed)
Old 09-30-2021, 12:31 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
You'll need to go to the factory for a proper fix. They tried longer screws twice on ours- it's not a fix.

Ended up tearing of the sidewall and adding gussets, steel and aluminum. Also steel gussets in the propane bay.

This is a major structural issue, and you really need to escalate it to Jayco customer service. They bring the Lippert people into their factory to assist them with the frame repairs.

Ours was finally fixed as described above, and 7,000 miles later, still solid. (fingers crossed)

Thanks for the information. I will definitely reach out to JayCo Customer Service. Glad to hear there is some sort of fix.
Cody_5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:43 PM   #130

I've got the same issue with the flex on a 24.5 CKTS but has anyone had a roof panel come loose right at the over hang? I think that's caused by the 5th moving also. My dealer says it's all structural and they won't touch it and jayco kept telling them that it's out of warranty. Well no kidding I just want my camper fixed.
Piper1 is offline   Reply With Quote