Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #21

Right now I have a 2002 F250 4X4 crew cab long bed. It takes wide u turns because of the solid ft axle. Don't plan on towing the new beast with this truck.
unless.... nawww
priv8pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:15 AM   #22

Smile

I chose a 2016 F350 dually when I heard that Ford was moving the Super Duty to the aluminum body starting with the redesigned 2017 models. I just can't bring myself to buy a big towing truck made from aluminum. I looked at the F450 and loved it. Much heavier truck, larger wheels and better turning but what moved me away from the 450 was learning you can't get them serviced at all Ford dealers. The dealer must be "certified" by Ford to service them and that concerned me.

After 2 years, I'm really happy with my F350 and the dually just gives me a literal reason to call her my "Fat A$$ Truck"!
Old 08-06-2018, 07:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringneks View Post
Can I ask what your current truck is?
Hard to tell from your sigpic but are you towing a trailer behind the fiver?
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by priv8pilot View Post
... So the question is this. Those of you that travel and unhook. What are you using and how is it around town? What did you chose? Any regrets on your tow vehicle choice and why or why not?
I tow with a GMC 3500HD SRW Diesel. Tows great and SRW is good for daily driver & when unhooked. No regrets at all (though it would be nice to have a little more payload with the DRW, but still very happy with the SRW).

I think a F-350 SRW or DRW Diesel would be fine for your needs.
The pros w/ a DRW, it will give you more stability & pay load.
The cons w/ a DRW, is 6 tires to replace when required (as/ 4) and unloaded driving / parking - but that you would get used to after awhile.

Quote:
... thru work found a 2016 F450 platinum at a GREAT price.
If you have the $, I would go for it!
Have you ever heard anyone say "I wish I had a smaller tow vehicle"?

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:42 AM   #25

Before the MH I used to tow a large (42' 16k) 5th wheel. I went with a SRW truck. I always regretted not going with the DRW truck. I would say if you are full timing and plan to rack up the miles go with the 450. You'll never regret having too much truck and you'll get used to the size pretty quickly. In your situation I definitely think you'll appreciate the 'upgrades' of fthe 450 over the 350 as you cover the country.

Regardless, best of luck with whatever you buy and safe travels.

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #26

It's all fun 'n games until you have to park a dually in the mall parking lot on December 23rd! Duallies are great vehicles but let's face it, they're not the friendliest vehicles to drive and park. But, if you need it..you need it. And that's how that goes.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
It's all fun 'n games until you have to park a dually in the mall parking lot on December 23rd! Duallies are great vehicles but let's face it, they're not the friendliest vehicles to drive and park. But, if you need it..you need it. And that's how that goes.

I think the problem in this scenario is going to the mall on December 23. 🤣

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #28

DON'T make the mistake I made!! Ordered my 2018 North Point 315 RLTS which is not as heavy as your Pinnacle will be. Then I bought a new RAM 3500 SRW...............that was the mistake. When the "tail starts wagging the dog" you'll know what I mean. Four months after purchasing the SRW, I bit the bullet and bought a new RAM 3500 DRW, long bed. Now I know it's a beast but I feel so much better hauling down the road both mentally & physically.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #29

Quote:
So I have ordered and am waiting for my 2019 Jayco Pinnacle. While I wait my attention is turning to a tow rig. I will not be traveling for a while (full time in one spot) But I am trying to figure out the way to go when I find the right deal. I am and have been a Ford guy my whole life. So this is not a Ford Chevy, Dodge question. But Dodge and Chevy owners are invited to give your opinion. My 5th wheel is in the 16500 weight range. What I am looking at is actual towing by members and what they use.

So here are my thoughts:
When I finally retire the plan is to travel the USA. Drive a bit, find a place and stay for a month or two and explore. I want both a truck that is safe and stable BUT it also needs to be one that when I find a town to land in I need to be able to unhook and explore the town. I started thinking F350 SRW. But then The F350 DRW would be a better tow vehicle for this size trailer. I used a friends F450 for a couple of months and loved it but what a large monster! I did get use to driving that around. Now I work at a large car dealership chain and thru work found a 2016 F450 platinum at a GREAT price. Thinking of pulling the trigger on that.

So the question is this. Those of you that travel and unhook. What are you using and how is it around town? What did you chose? Any regrets on your tow vehicle choice and why or why not?
There are a lot of replies here recommending the DRW - I fully agree (although mine is a '14 Ram 3500 which I really like). I've towed our Pinnacle 8,000 miles in the past 15 months - a couple of points I'll emphasize. 1) stability is great in multiple scenarios -- strong cross-winds, rain, and down the mountains in 7%+ grade. The extra stability in those scenarios (plus the safety margin in the event of a rear-wheel blowout) are why I won't tow with anything less. 2) if you have a spouse or other that will be driving it when you unhook and want to go to town or go exploring, have them go with you and test drive it also. My wife was comfortable with the DRW, and bought into the stability improvements - so it was an easy decision. Yes - there have been a few times where it was a tight fit (finding parking in a tourist-filled town in the summer, or going through Smuggler's Notch in Stowe, VT. But patience and walking a little further have solved all of those problems. Even with a crew cab long bed DRW - as big as it gets for a pickup.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #30

I am also waiting for a 40' 2019 Pinnacle and pulled the trigger on a new F450. It's big but drives like a large car. Go for the F450.
802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #31

When we purchased our Cameo in 2007, we had a 2004 F350 DRW and the Cameo exceeded the weight of the truck. So we ordered a 2008 (there were no 2007's) F450 DRW with a 4:30 rear end. Now when/if DW decides she wants to go heavier, we are absolutely covered.

DW drives the truck, including pulling the trailer. We have had a rear tire go flat & didn't even know it. Yes, it takes more parking spaces BUT if you park in the back with a curb on either side and in the rear & back in (yes, back in) you can usually take just one spot. And definitely a lot easier getting out of the spot when leaving. And please remember to bring in those mirrors - smiling here.

Our friends purchased a 2017 F350 DRW with the aluminum body and for the most part are happy. Why only for the "most part"? Because the sales person goofed on the order & some of the things they were told were part of the package weren't and he ordered the wrong color!
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #32

We are picking up our NorthPoint this Friday! I have never towed a fifth wheel, but during my research, and my wife's persistence in feeling safe and confident hauling that much weight, we pulled the trigger on a 2019 Chevrolet 3500HD DRW High Country. Being a dually, it will easily tow anything I put behind it, and will be better controlling on the road during travelling. I have driven it around town a few times, and have no trouble parking. I do find myself parking more towards the back of the parking lot, but, I should be doing that anyway!
2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD High Country - Cajun Red
w/Duramax Diesel, Z6A Prep Package & Curt Q20 FW Puck System
skinners25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #33

I tow my ‘19 Pinnacle REFS with a 2017 Ram 3500 Limited. Cummins diesel with Aisin tranny. Short bed no duals. Truck tows the rig like a champ and rides like a dream.
sail154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #34

i was a Ford guy to.

Stop talking about wind up toys and do what I did Ram 3500 DRW, Aisin tranny,

Rear Air Suspension.

Haha that felt good! Just kidding any of those trucks will do nicely
razorbackcaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:50 PM   #35

I have a 2009 F450 DRW and tow a 2016 Pinnacle 38FLSA. I absolutely love this combination. The F450 has plenty of power and is extremely stable towing that 42' monster. I often see threads on here about towing nose high, but I'm towing level with 6 inches clearance to the bed rails. The other nice feature of the F450 is besides the turning radius of the front wheels is the advantage of the 8' bed. You can practically jack knife the FW backing into a site without any concern of FW hitting the truck cab. The challenge is getting used to the overall length of the truck and FW combination and adjusting to making wide right turns. You won't regret getting the F450 with the load you are towing. My only other recommendation is to get an observation camera so you can see behind your FW going down the road and backing into sites.

Good Luck!
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #36

You can't go wrong with the Ford although I tow my DRV Houston 44' with a T660 Kenworth. I like the fuel capacity and the 3 stage Jake. Same milage as my F350.
AAMD80Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #37

1 ton trucks

Quote:
So I have ordered and am waiting for my 2019 Jayco Pinnacle. While I wait my attention is turning to a tow rig. I will not be traveling for a while (full time in one spot) But I am trying to figure out the way to go when I find the right deal. I am and have been a Ford guy my whole life. So this is not a Ford Chevy, Dodge question. But Dodge and Chevy owners are invited to give your opinion. My 5th wheel is in the 16500 weight range. What I am looking at is actual towing by members and what they use.

So here are my thoughts:
When I finally retire the plan is to travel the USA. Drive a bit, find a place and stay for a month or two and explore. I want both a truck that is safe and stable BUT it also needs to be one that when I find a town to land in I need to be able to unhook and explore the town. I started thinking F350 SRW. But then The F350 DRW would be a better tow vehicle for this size trailer. I used a friends F450 for a couple of months and loved it but what a large monster! I did get use to driving that around. Now I work at a large car dealership chain and thru work found a 2016 F450 platinum at a GREAT price. Thinking of pulling the trigger on that.

So the question is this. Those of you that travel and unhook. What are you using and how is it around town? What did you chose? Any regrets on your tow vehicle choice and why or why not?
I pulled our Northpoint 387RDFS (16,500 lb. rig) 30,000 miles with a Dodge 3500 SRW and never had a stability issue. Much nicer running around without all the extra fender well sticking out!
dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #38

Tow vehicle

I have a 2017 Ford F350 Lariat DW LB. We really don't have that many issues with getting around in it. Find ourselves parking in the back and walking a little more. Love the truck. Pull a 43' North Point.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #39

Great Thread!

My wife and I have had this conversation the past 12 months concerning our current tow vehicle and if we upgrade to a North Point or another larger Jayco FW. Our current tow vehicle is a 2006 Ford F250 Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 Diesel*, so it does a great job towing our Eagle FW right now. If money was no concern for us, sure we will go big all around and not look back. Sounds like from everyone's replies, that it is a matter of preference, rig setup and personal peace of mind.

*we put some $ into it getting all the known issues resolved. No regrets and it will tow almost anything without all the new emissions stuff.
Mr&MrsSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #40

We have 2018 Pinnacle 37MDQS floorplan. We use 05 F350 6.0 dully with 410 gear ratio in rear end. Traveled from Virginia to Utah and am currently in Georgia. We have had engine bullit proofed and have had no issues pulling trailer. Even in windy conditions in the plains the dully really helps keeps things stable and no swaying. That being said with any vehicle trailer combination you always just pay attention to outside conditions and vary speed to stay safe. Pretty much any newer diesel platform will be fine from the big manufacture for trailer.
rctamer is offline   Reply With Quote