Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #1

Hitch Height Memory

Hello all. Got a question about losing hitch height memory. I leveled my fifth wheel at the storage lot and opened all the slides. I turned off the power via battery disconnect. Will I lose the hitch height memory? If I do, how do I get the jacks to retract without hitting retract all which would be the wrong thing to do. Do I have to manually retract on the control panel inside? It happened once before but I don't remember what I did to correct the problem. Ground Control 3.0 Lippert system. TIA.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Hello all. Got a question about losing hitch height memory. I leveled my fifth wheel at the storage lot and opened all the slides. I turned off the power via battery disconnect. Will I lose the hitch height memory? If I do, how do I get the jacks to retract without hitting retract all which would be the wrong thing to do. Do I have to manually retract on the control panel inside? It happened once before but I don't remember what I did to correct the problem. Ground Control 3.0 Lippert system. TIA.
Hitch height memory is not something that is locked in. To make sure it does memorize your hitch height at any specific time, the front of the FW must be above level when unhitched otherwise Hitch Height will not work. The Hitch Height feature will change depending on the ground your FW is sitting on.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Hitch height memory is not something that is locked in. To make sure it does memorize your hitch height at any specific time, the front of the FW must be above level when unhitched otherwise Hitch Height will not work. The Hitch Height feature will change depending on the ground your FW is sitting on.
I understand that. However, one time I leveled at the storage unit. I hit hitch height and got the flashing lights and would not go to hitch height. I don't recall how I was able to retract the jacks to be able to hitch up.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
I understand that. However, one time I leveled at the storage unit. I hit hitch height and got the flashing lights and would not go to hitch height. I don't recall how I was able to retract the jacks to be able to hitch up.
I get that ugly flashing red light when I hit Hitch Height, which probably means I wasn't above level last time I unhitched.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 06-16-2020, 06:11 PM   #5

Quote:
I get that ugly flashing red light when I hit Hitch Height, which probably means I wasn't above level last time I unhitched.
Fortunately I've only gotten it once so far past 12 months.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #6

Your original question was if you "disconnect" power do you loose the hitch height memory. I have a suspension that when you use the battery disconnect the leveling module may still be powered. If I'm wrong, which I very well could be, it is my understanding if the aft jacks are down and you select the up arrow the rear and center jacks (on a 6 point system) will retract before the front jacks will move. That's my understanding of how it will work. The same as if you start the autolevel sequence with the front below level.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar57 View Post
Your original question was if you "disconnect" power do you loose the hitch height memory. I have a suspension that when you use the battery disconnect the leveling module may still be powered. If I'm wrong, which I very well could be, it is my understanding if the aft jacks are down and you select the up arrow the rear and center jacks (on a 6 point system) will retract before the front jacks will move. That's my understanding of how it will work. The same as if you start the autolevel sequence with the front below level.
Well, we'll find out Saturday when I try to raise the jacks in preparation of our Sunday trip, lol.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:51 AM   #8

Yes, if you disconnect you lose that memory.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Yes, if you disconnect you lose that memory.
Then what's my next step to retract? Do I have to go inside to the control panel and manually retract in sequence, like rear first or center first?
Old 06-17-2020, 08:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Then what's my next step to retract? Do I have to go inside to the control panel and manually retract in sequence, like rear first or center first?
Don't you have a "Retract All" option? I would use that and then raise the front.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 06-17-2020, 12:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Don't you have a "Retract All" option? I would use that and then raise the front.
Yes I do. But won't that bring down the front jacks too low? I've heard others tried that and couldn't stop it from going all the way down.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #12

I would not select retract all until hooked to truck. Turn the system on and select up. If the back jacks do not retract, which I believe they will then you can release the button and it will stop. If you have any other concerns then I would recommend calling Lippert customer service. They can be helpful. Ph 574.537.8900 or email customerservice@lci1.com .
Old 06-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #13

Quote:
I would not select retract all until hooked to truck. Turn the system on and select up. If the back jacks do not retract, which I believe they will then you can release the button and it will stop. If you have any other concerns then I would recommend calling Lippert customer service. They can be helpful. Ph 574.537.8900 or email customerservice@lci1.com .
Just talked to Lippert. He told me the Hitch Height button would not work since I disconnected the battery. Also, don't hit retract all unless I'm hooked up. He said I could try to hit the Up button but he didn't think that would work. That I would need to go inside and use the control panel and manually retract the rear and center jacks. I think that's what I did last time this happened.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Just talked to Lippert. He told me the Hitch Height button would not work since I disconnected the battery. Also, don't hit retract all unless I'm hooked up. He said I could try to hit the Up button but he didn't think that would work. That I would need to go inside and use the control panel and manually retract the rear and center jacks. I think that's what I did last time this happened.
Did you try hitting the up button on the control panel outside or did you just retract each jack individually? Just curious of the outcome.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #15

Guess I need to read the manual. After making sure nothing is in the way I use the “retract all” button before hitching up every time. Then I back the truck up and raise the front jacks to the height of my hitch. I mostly do this because I haven’t taken the time to understand how the “hitch height” button works, but what harm is there in using the retract all function?
2018 Jayco NorthPoint 315RLTS
jimr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:34 PM   #16

Unnecessary wear and tear on the front jacks. There are a number of post of front jack failures. Why retract the front jacks then have to extend them to hook to the truck. When you disconnect from the truck the front of the camper should be above level. Touch the Auto Level button to start auto level sequence. Front will seek level first then rear. Once the camper is level the middle jacks will set.

When you are ready to leave touch the Hitch Height button. The rear and middle jacks will retract and the the front jack will/should return to the height it came off the truck. When hooked to the truck touch the Retract All button and you're done. Easy peasy.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Unnecessary wear and tear on the front jacks. There are a number of post of front jack failures. Why retract the front jacks then have to extend them to hook to the truck. When you disconnect from the truck the front of the camper should be above level. Touch the Auto Level button to start auto level sequence. Front will seek level first then rear. Once the camper is level the middle jacks will set.

When you are ready to leave touch the Hitch Height button. The rear and middle jacks will retract and the the front jack will/should return to the height it came off the truck. When hooked to the truck touch the Retract All button and you're done. Easy peasy.
Thanks for the explanation of the hitch height function. I'll have to use it in the future. I'm not one to baby things in fear of them breaking, but I understand the concept. Being retired military and now a hobby farmer, I'd usually rather cuss at something for being designed too weak to handle the task its meant to do.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:00 AM   #18

I just can't imagine hitting "retract all" without being fully hitched to the truck. I don't bother with "Hitch height", though. I find it easy to eyeball the pin plate to 1/2" below the truck's plate while I'm already standing right there with my finger on the button already.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
I just can't imagine hitting "retract all" without being fully hitched to the truck. I don't bother with "Hitch height", though. I find it easy to eyeball the pin plate to 1/2" below the truck's plate while I'm already standing right there with my finger on the button already.
Angus
I use retract all because it's the easiest way to know that I've got all the other feet raised from the auto level position and I'm not putting any undue weight on them or twist in the frame when I raise (or lower) the front to hitch up. Guess I could raise them individually from the inside control panel first but that seems like a hassle. My chocks are always in when I'm disconnected so I don't see the harm in using retract all...except for the increased wear and tear on the front jacks as discussed above. Now that I know the hitch height function raises the other ones first I'll use that button instead of retracting all.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Did you try hitting the up button on the control panel outside or did you just retract each jack individually? Just curious of the outcome.
Ok, so when I was ready, I was at the outside panel, I hit the up button. It started to raise the front but nothing was happening to the center or back jacks so I stopped it after just two seconds. I then hit hitch height to see what it would do and the light started flashing. So I went inside to the control panel. I thought I'd try hitch height so I did. It worked. It retracted the back ones the center ones then raised the front. Weird.