Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimg View Post
Who is “Thor”? And when did they take over?
I purchased a 2011 X17C about a year ago but haven’t really used it as I’m preparing for a tour around states. Those welds look like crap, from what I’ve seen on mine everything looks pretty solid.......
Thor purchased Jayco about 2 years ago...and Thor is for pushing out units and screw the quality (IMHO).

When we purchased our unit we had the shackles upgraded - after our experience with the Carriage Cameo we knew this was a must. We also had an incident in 2017 where we went off the side of the road. Come to find out the welds on the door side (side we went off on) were bad. Luckily for us the insurance covered the repair.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I agree, but the worst thing you can do with a trailer, motor home or boat is NOT using it. They deteriorate more when just sitting. And no they are not built to take constant shock, that's why I'm a firm believer in installing shocks on any towable.
I agree with the not using statement. For us the six or seven trips we take and 30 nights we spend each year "exercise" switches, motors, latches, levers, etc. to help keep them functional. It also insures you're seeing things that could be a problem before they become a serious problem (uneven wear on tires, stains that might indicate a leak, gaps and bends where there shouldn't be any, etc.)

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:17 PM   #43

Good luck with your new TT. I bought a 2019 Whitehawk 23MRB last year. I had a problem with my slide and after 2 trips to the dealer and 4 weeks of not being able to use it I think it is fixed now. It started making a terrible grinding noise and of course the first time I took it in the tech could not find anything wrong. Luckily the second time I took it in he was standing next to it when I extended the slide and it made the noise. He knew what the problem was and 2 weeks later I got it back. No more noises- I hope.
I build cabinets and furniture and knew the cabinetry in trailers are not like the ones I build when I bought it. I reinforced all of the drawers after 2 bottoms fell out and had to do some other minor work on doors, trim, etc. I should not have to do anything on a new trailer but it beat driving 3 hours to and from the dealer and waiting for them to fix it.
Check your shower floor. Mine did not have any support other than the drain pipe. I am surprised it didn't break the first time we used it. The dealer fixed it by placing 2 flimsy wood supports under it. Still not good. I fixed it by using schedule 40 4" pvc pipe and sliding about 20 pieces underneath the floor and the bottom of the pan. Now it is as solid as it should have been when it came from the factory.
Other than these issues we like the trailer and have enjoyed using it several times.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimg View Post
Who is “Thor”? And when did they take over?
I purchased a 2011 X17C about a year ago but haven’t really used it as I’m preparing for a tour around states. Those welds look like crap, from what I’ve seen on mine everything looks pretty solid.......
A few years ago Jayco was a private family owned business but was bought out by Thor, which is the parent company of many sub brands of RVs. Forest River is the other huge RV manufacturer that has many sub brands. Many of the small brands have been bought out over the years by these two mega companies. Together they have over 80% of the towable RV market share. So despite the plethora of brand names out there, chances are you would be buying either a Thor or FR product with similar builds and QC. That being said there are still some independent manufacturers out there.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, jayco northpoint, quality, weld, workmanship