Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #1

L shaped couch removal

We have a Jayco EAgle 33.5RETS 5th wheel. I am wanting to remove the L-shaped portion of the couch and replace it with a recliner. I have written Jayco with the Vnumber to see if they can provide me information on how the slide was put together. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how the couch is secured to the floor. I am hoping it is not bolted from underneath the floor through the base of the couch. That would mean taking down the underbelly to get to everything. Anyone done this change?
Thanks for any response.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:37 PM   #2

My sig has our 5th model and I’ve done just that. What I discovered was mine was not connected to the floor at all. Our L sofa was against a short wall that divided the living from the kitchen, for the sofa at least.
The sofa had a foldout double air mattress with a drawer under and under seat storage bins in the L portion.
I removed the air mattress and started looking for bolts that would let me start taking things apart. With my neighbor’s help it came apart and went out thru the door snd straight to the curb. After the long section was out I discovered the shorter “L” piece was screwed to the short wall. I was prepared to use my sawzall to get it into pieces but that was not necessary.
If I read my notes correctly the width of the sofa space is 96.5” wide. I’d measured and decided to get 3 recliner pieces from Thomas Payne, CW was running a sale at the time. After a test fit I discovered I had more space left over than I anticipated and ordered an armrest piece which fits perfectly. Their pieces are modular so you buy what you need and hook it together. I bought a left, right and center piece then ordered the center armrest. It fits between the right/centerieces which are the furtherest from the TV.
A warning about my configuration. My slide was about 3” too shallow so the front of the recliner hangs over the slide lip by that much. The slide depth is 33 1/4” from the back wall to the start of the beveled edge on the slide edge and 35” from the wall to the edge of the bevel. The recliner pieces needed to be 16 1/2” from the wall to the rear frame of the recliner.
I left them loose for a bit till I got tired of them rearranging while under way. I used some leftover laminate floor scraps that I kept to cut some mounting pads. It’s all screwed down now and feels very secure. My measurements showed that the slide floor was about 3/4” thick and I used the longest screws I could without coming out the bottom of the floor.
Let me know if you want more info and let the crowd know what you do.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:14 AM   #3

Thanks Redhorse. I do believe my L-shape is much more secure than that. I am only wanting to remove the L portion and put a recliner there. Cannot lift the end of the couch at all which lends me to believe it is mounted some how. Will be looking for the screws to the wall today and see if that loosens it up. Thanks for your very informative reply.
Joe

Joe Hinson
Old 03-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #4

removing L-shaped couch

Hopefully, the pictures come over. My L-shaped portion was not attached to the kitchen divider wall. It was attached by 4 long screws to the couch portion which had already pulled loose. I had to insert a pry bar behind the screws to get them to back out. The top portion lifts straight up and out but my wife is unable to help so will have to wait for my helper this afternoon. The bottom portion is attached to the right rear corner somehow and when I take the top half of the L shaped portion out, we will see where it is attached. Should not be a problem to get all that out.
Attached Thumbnails
couch1.jpg   couch2.jpg   couch3.jpg   couch4.jpg  

Joe Hinson
Old 03-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #5

Removing L shaped couck

Removing the L shaped couch allowed recliner to go there. Added bonus was being able to move dinning table further away from wall. Much more seating room.
Attached Thumbnails
20200319_124636.jpg   20200319_124655.jpg  
Old 03-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #6

Great to hear! Huge congrats on the project. Where did you find the attachment points? As I said earlier said, mine was only secured to the short kitchen wall and the longer sofa section was attached to the “L” box. I took it apart beginning at the long end and was surprised that it came out pretty easily. Sounds like yours was secured in different ways and yours was more of a challenge.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote