Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2021, 10:09 PM   #1

Law enforcement

So yesterday we had a flat on the trailer. Saw a patrol car fly by lights flashing, only thought was hope where ever he is heading everyone is ok. About 20 mind later a sheriff's deputy stops and hangs out for about hr making sure people are moving over. He got a hot call and had to roll, again no biggie. Fast forward to this afternoon 15 miles from our next stop. Yes the spare has a valvestem fail. At this time we have been sitting on the freeway again for 6 1/2 hrs. No spare cause it was put on Yesterday the point is NO Law enforcement seen the whole time. What the hell oklahoma do you not patrol the freeways ???

Ok got that off my chest.

Yes found a guy that "fingers crossed" can change the valvestem and will fallow us to the park. Tire still had air when we got stopped so although I wouldn't trust that tire heres hoping the sidewall will hold up for 15 miles.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:43 PM   #2

Well, I hear you.
I have traveled 1/2 way across Pennsylvania and many times don't see a single State Trooper!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 04:08 AM   #3

Troopers cover range of roads besides highways
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:54 AM   #4

Why would you sit for 6.5 hours? Throw the other bad tire on or leave it sit on the jack, unhitch and go get the valve stem replaced at a nearby tire shop.

I would never sit and wait on a passing by cop to help me in any state. They likely wouldn't stop anyways. I'd take care of it myself or call a towing or mobile tire service.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:22 AM   #5

The problem was no jack (a problem being fixed today)
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:23 AM   #6

Cop’s can’t win for losing! We hammer them when they pull us over for speeding and we hammer them when they aren’t around to rescue us with a flat tire.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:30 AM   #7

Why don’t you carry a cheap five dollar tire repair kit and a 12 V air compressor and fix it on the side of the road yourself that’s what I do. doesn’t make sense to sit there wait for somebody

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:40 AM   #8

Looking at the Alaska thread and the changing of tire. We had a flat on a feeder highway The Yellowhead highway. It is two lane no shoulder with 10 feet ditches on both sides with a 110 kph speed limit. We called the RCMP for traffic help as the flat was on the left of a single axle trailer. We were told it would be six hours if at all. There are just a handful of Mounties in Alberta. They did contact a tow service who sent a guy for traffic control . It took two hours.

Sometimes you do need help. The Alaska Highway is much wider and we now have a dual axle trailer that we can drive to a clearing even if we wreck the tire and wheel. We carry parts and of course a compressor and know how to change a tire. Safety triangles are a good idea not that it will stop all bozos from smacking you.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:49 AM   #9
CAG

Considering the current National situation with COVID and defund the police you’re lucky anyone showed up and griping about no police around is, well I won’t get it off my chest but without having done the job, don’t complain about it. There are already way too many people who think they know how police should do their job.

Considering all of the National issues going and “defund the police” departments are working with far fewer people as officers quit or retire early to get away from the anti police crowd and stopping by to help you change a tire falls pretty low on the priority list when call stack up. Help yourself

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyof5 View Post
The problem was no jack (a problem being fixed today)
You couldn't use your truck's jack? Leveling jacks if you have auto leveling?

I carry a 20 ton bottle jack and a 4-way in the trailer. But always used the leveling jacks for changing tires when I ran the China tires. I stopped buying them and suddenly no more blow outs. Hmm. Lol

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:53 AM   #11

Funny. The police I worked with for thirty years all thought they were called to handle emergencies that they had little training or authority to deal with effectively. Defunding is a really inappropriate word. They need funding but they should not be called on to resolve mental health including drug issues. That is a separate specialty.
The ones I knew that retired were really worn out from having little choice but to arrest those that were in crisis or having to have them committed which was a drawn out process.

So more properly we need to fund emergency social service workers and take the cops out of that horrid beat.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:20 AM   #12

Only part of Troopers job is to make sure the highway is clear,and you are safe from traffic.give you assistance on what your needs are. Call triple a- medical if needed-fire- call a tow truck, flairs. not to stay around for a flat tire
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #13
CAG

With four family members still policing and 35 years of my own, I don’t disagree but the problem is too involved and sending unarmed social workers to resolve social issues leaves those people in very dangerous situations. How many time has a mental situation turned into a gun pointed at the responding officers? But the question here was about seeing no police while sitting on the side of the road and my take is don’t expect them to show up to help change a tire. My MDC screen was filled with too many backed up, important, calls to stop and change a tire. When I could I would but that again is at the bottom of the priority list.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
Cop’s can’t win for losing! We hammer them when they pull us over for speeding and we hammer them when they aren’t around to rescue us with a flat tire.

This was my thought.

Maybe I'm old - but I'm not going to expect a cop to stop when I'm by the road, disabled, unless I'm a hazard. Then I'd call 911 and tell them I've broken down and am a hazard to others.

If I had a flat and a cop pulled in behind me, I'd tell them I'm good and suggest they can resume their real work.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
With four family members still policing and 35 years of my own,

Thank you and please thank them for choosing a difficult and often thankless job. I'm grateful.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:33 AM   #16
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Thank you and please thank them for choosing a difficult and often thankless job. I'm grateful.

Thank you I will.

Arizona DPS-Highway Patrol has a roadside assist service with several trucks, operated by retired DPS officers. They patrol the highways for this type of need. I blew a tire on the toy hauler about 10 miles short of Benson and ended up in a cell phone dead zone. I tried calling the insurance roadside assistance but had to limp about 200 yards to the next pullout to get phone service. Just as I did the DPS truck pulled up, checked on us, laughed about the dead spot saying that was the only one he had ever found along I-10 and I hit it. He waited until we knew someone was coming and took off for the next broken down vehicle. A good use of volunteers in my book.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
x2. It's a tough job, particularly now. Thank you and them for doing it.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #18
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
x2. It's a tough job, particularly now. Thank you and them for doing it.

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyof5 View Post
Ok got that off my chest.
Law enforcement is not your personal roadside assistant.
jghflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:02 PM   #20

Roadside plans help sometimes.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote