Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #1

New Tow Vehicle

My 2016 Ford F250 is a good match for my Eagle, but I am having real problems getting service done on it. Since January, it has had a bad water pump, a blown gasket on the turbo that stranded me on a trip for almost an entire week, and now an oil leak. For the latest issue, the truck was in one dealership (still under warranty) for a week, and they could not tell me when they could get to it. So I took it to another local Ford dealer last Wednesday. It is still on the back lot and has not moved since I dropped it off. They say the engine will need to be pulled and several gaskets replaced that are leaking. Earliest I can have it back will be Wednesday of next week. I can't keep it if every repair needed takes 2 weeks or more to complete.
So, to my question. I am looking at a Chevrolet 3500 DRW. I won't consider another Ford, as that still leaves me with long waits for repair work to be done. Do any of you have similar problems getting your trucks serviced? The Chevy dealer of course says it's not a problem there, but he wants to sell me a new truck. I've tried to do some internet research and service dept reviews, but it is not yielding any results. Are all diesel service departments this backed up? Your experiences will help either ease my mind, or make it more crazy. Thanks
Old 07-24-2019, 07:25 PM   #2

Unfortunately it's not going to matter which brand you buy, you're gonna wait to get service, especially diesel. The more complicated they make them the longer it takes to fix them. A lot of it depends on the dealer location [city,country] and the dealer itself and what has to be done. Sorry you're having problems with the Ford. The 6.7L Powerstroke diesel has generally proven to be a reliable power plant.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:20 PM   #3

It might be time to find another Ford dealer.
Sounds like the ones you are trying to use are not very good..........

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:28 PM   #4

jasum,
One dealer filed bankruptcy last year, leaving two in Lubbock. I've tried them both, with the same results. They are both short on service tech's. But it wasn't much better in Flagstaff this summer when my turbo stranded me there. It took 4 days just to get a part to fix it. I've had it with Ford. Looking at GM products now.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #5

What ever the manufacture, the largest dealer will provide the fastest service. Providing your in their area in the time of need.

I say trade up to a F-350 SRW. But then again I have 5 Ford dealers in my area.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #6

Way back in 1996 the local Ford dealer hung it to me on our crew dually and I was so mad went straight to a Chevy dealer and for me was the best thing todo. I owned several Fords at the time both personal & for our business. My tv is a 2012 Chevy crew dually and has given really good service. One warranty repair on the def tank senso and that took just 2 days to get back as the part was dropped off during the regular night parts delivery.
I would look at the 3500 SRW if they will work cause if you go dually with your RV Texas requires the upgrade to an A DL if you go over 26000 combined GVWR. It's no big deal to get , just something to think about.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #7

We purchased our 2008 F450 in 2007 (because they didn't make them in 2007). We had issues with the truck and kept taking it back to the dealer where we purchased it...don't get me wrong, they really tried but I don't believe they were equipped to work on that truck. In 2012, DW took the truck to another Ford dealership which was close to her work & we were getting ready for a trip to California. It was blowing heavy white smoke. Of course, the dealership could not replicate it but said our fuel filter needed changed - ah, no, it was changed like 2000 miles earlier. Anyway, DW picked up the truck & not even 3 miles away it blew heavy white smoke again...this time she was pissed because the guy in the little car went passed her & flipped her off. Of course, if you know my wife, she didn't take this very well & she immediately called the dealership complaining. Then she called Ford Customer Service and complained big time. We ended up taking the truck to a Ford large truck repair shop. They ended up rebuilding the front end (we kept complaining at the dealership but they never found anything), the EGR & turbo were replaced and there were several other issues. And we had no charges, not even the deductible. And because of the front end issue, Ford paid over half for the tires to be replaced. They had the truck for close to 30 days trying to get everything fixed, waiting on parts, etc.

With that said, it depends on the dealer. We now take our truck to another dealer and so far so good. Oh, DW did go off on the 1st dealer because they treated her like she didn't know what she was talking about. One guy made the mistake of telling her I should bring the truck in so I could explain exactly what was wrong. Oh that didn't end well...and no, she didn't go to jail.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:26 PM   #8

As evidenced on my posts, I have a 2017 RAM, DRW and have had it serviced with many different dealers. They have all been excellent. Do not know what more to say!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
As evidenced on my posts, I have a 2017 RAM, DRW and have had it serviced with many different dealers. They have all been excellent. Do not know what more to say!

And then to figure... I walked into our local Dodge dealer twice on different days with checkbook in my pocket - the same dealer that sold us two Hyundai's - and they could not give me the time of day.

Local GM dealer and Ford dealers were attentive and seemed knowledgeable. This trucker newbie went with Ford because of the back-up cameras (stupid, right?). I'll let you know how we did in ten years...

-Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:47 AM   #10

Our ‘13 350 has been flawless since we bought it (new) with the exception of the EGR cooler which was a known failure point going into the deal. We’ve only racked up 65k since purchase with abt 50% towing and the rest DD. If I replaced it tomorrow I’d say 95% it’d be another Blue Oval, maybe a LB tho.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #11

Do your research then decide. Go and see all of them and compare. I really wanted a Ford but non of the local dealers would service me and answer my questions. The Dodge dealer was the same. I ended up with a 2017 Silverado 3500HD Duramax. The salesperson spent time to answer my questions and a good test drive too. Most important the wife liked the Silverado the best. At the end of the day is which poison you picked.

My Silverado came with z71 package and it has the Rancho shocks. Junk changed those out for Bilstien. The DEF filler is at awkward position. These are little things you will find. Take your time, listen to yourself and weight it all out.

Good luck

2017 Hummingbird 17RK (Sold)
2017 Jay Feather 23RSLW Sold)
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (Sold)
2017 Chev Silverado 3500HD Duramax
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
My 2016 Ford F250 is a good match for my Eagle, but I am having real problems getting service done on it. Since January, it has had a bad water pump, a blown gasket on the turbo that stranded me on a trip for almost an entire week, and now an oil leak. For the latest issue, the truck was in one dealership (still under warranty) for a week, and they could not tell me when they could get to it. So I took it to another local Ford dealer last Wednesday. It is still on the back lot and has not moved since I dropped it off. They say the engine will need to be pulled and several gaskets replaced that are leaking. Earliest I can have it back will be Wednesday of next week. I can't keep it if every repair needed takes 2 weeks or more to complete.
So, to my question. I am looking at a Chevrolet 3500 DRW. I won't consider another Ford, as that still leaves me with long waits for repair work to be done. Do any of you have similar problems getting your trucks serviced? The Chevy dealer of course says it's not a problem there, but he wants to sell me a new truck. I've tried to do some internet research and service dept reviews, but it is not yielding any results. Are all diesel service departments this backed up? Your experiences will help either ease my mind, or make it more crazy. Thanks
LegalEagle - WOW, if it's not one thing it's something else, huh? Sorry to hear about your truck. It sounds like the problem comes down to an older vehicle that needs some TLC. ANY dealer will tell you what you want to hear in order to sell you something. So if it's not your local Ford dealer dragging their feet, it'll be the local camper dealer with excuses on fixing your rig. It's all about customer service - some bend over backwards, some don't. Since you're already in a Ford, something to note is the new 2020 Ford SuperDuty will be coming out any time now with new motors and specs. If you're tired of Diesels, you might opt for the new 7.3L gasser. Easier to work on and more power and torque than the previous years. Good Luck
Old 08-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Go Cummins. I’m not a huge RAM fan but I’m on my third because I honestly believe the Cummins is the best power plant to be dropped into a medium duty (despite all manufacturers claims that they are Heavy Duty) truck. Least complicated diesel motor of the three, lower cost for service than the V8’s.

I want an F350 with a 6.7 Cummins.
Then I’ll be happy!! 😊
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #14
KFM

I have a 2017 Ford 350 6.7 diesel SRW and have crossed the US a couple of times and never have had problems getting service at any Ford dealer I used. So far, I have not had any problems with the truck and really enjoy the way it tows our fifth wheel.
KFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #15

Man, with all the problems y’all are having with the Ford diesels, I feel pretty good that I bought the 6.2 gasser! I was second guessing myself on the purchase to tow the 24RBS we had at the time and now especially since we have a 280RSOK on order. I had a friend who had both Ford and Chevy diesels sitting in his driveway (he tows many horses/trailers to horse competitions) and he strongly advised against a diesel. Sounds like most of the issues you’re having is from dealers who just don’t care after the sale! That’s too bad and no wonder the dealer filed bankruptcy.
TXJACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #16
Site Team

Currently, there is no non-diesel truck that I would feel comfortable pulling my current rig.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #17

Chevy?

Quote:
jasum,
One dealer filed bankruptcy last year, leaving two in Lubbock. I've tried them both, with the same results. They are both short on service tech's. But it wasn't much better in Flagstaff this summer when my turbo stranded me there. It took 4 days just to get a part to fix it. I've had it with Ford. Looking at GM products now.
Don’t make the mistake of thinking Chevy/GMC quality is better. Most knowledgeable people will tell you that it’s worse, with Ram being much worse. Ford is the way to go despite your experience with one truck.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #18

Then add to the Ram and Chevy the clock is ticking on when the first rusted cab corner or wheel well will start...............won't happen with the Ford
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #19

That last comment is funny.
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:02 AM   #20

Update

I got the Ford back last Friday, Aug. 2, and traded it Saturday, Aug 3 for a 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax. I really don't have a beef with the Ford, or how it performed. But using trucks the way we do, there are always going to be issues and needs for service. It's just the nature of pulling so much weight. So, to all the Ford fans who commented, don't think I am down on Ford's at all. I just couldn't get one serviced in a timely fashion when those issues arose.
I left Wednesday for a 1400 mile trip to Sedona, Az. The GMC did great, even got me about 15% higher fuel mileage. So far, I am very pleased. And when there will be repair issues, we'll see if the local GM dealerships will be any better in responding to them. Thanks for all the comments.