Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #1

Onan 5500 Installation

We are having an Onan 5500 installed by the Onan dealer. The dealer says that we will need the evaporative model.

Apparently, there is a specification included at the end of the model. He is asking me whether he needs to order the 5500 with the spec 7103 or the 5500 with the spec of 6755?

I have a 2016 Pinnacle 36 FBTS. Also, he asked me if we already had the evaporitive kit that is required as a part of the pre-install by Jayco.

I would appreciate if anyone who has had there Onan 5500 installed after the factory can help me answer these questions.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #2

Evap tank has a square box on top of the fuel tank that is for vapor recovery. Can you post a pic of the tank?
Old 11-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

We had the Onan 5500 in our previous camper. It did run both 13500 ac's units at the same time.Don't know about running two 15000 units.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:54 AM   #4

Gasoline Tank Pics

Here is a couple of pics of the gasoline tank. Looks like a box on top.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171129_124509831_HDR.jpg   IMG_20171129_124515966.jpg  
Old 11-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
We had the Onan 5500 in our previous camper. It did run both 13500 ac's units at the same time.Don't know about running two 15000 units.
Thanks for the reply. Any idea what the specification number was on the 5500?

Apparently for the evap model, it is either 7103, or 6755.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #6

Buy it online much cheaper and have onan or a RV dealer install it if you don't wish to install it.

Is your trailer setup for gasoline or LP?

If gasoline I'd go with the fuel injection model and that will save you a lot of pains of no carb issues.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Buy it online much cheaper and have onan or a RV dealer install it if you don't wish to install it.

Is your trailer setup for gasoline or LP?

If gasoline I'd go with the fuel injection model and that will save you a lot of pains of no carb issues.

Earl
Thanks Earl for the tips. Our setup is for gasoline. I am getting it done by a Onan dealer locally. He is charging 1 hr labor. Not worth my time.

I did ask him about fuel injection. He said that it was true, there would not be carb issues but said he has experienced other issues with a fuel injected Onan and would not recommend them.

I certainly don't know enough about generators to challenge him.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #8

Onan Specification # for Pinnacles

If anybody else needs to know what specification is needed for the Onan 5500 generator, it is a 6755. That is directly from Jayco.

Apparently, there is also a 7103 specification available in the Onan 5500 series generator but that is not the one the 2016 Pinnacle was prepped for.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:49 AM   #9

That is what I have in mine. Makes it nice when boondocking or just when setting up. Only have about 140 hours on mine, mostly when long term boondocking I use my Honda 3000is. While at factory Onan tech came out and replaced the bad breakers said all was good. I had factory run it all day and they had my over frequency problem come back. They found the factory installed wiring from gen to transfer switch had a bare spot in the wire at a clamp. I need to run it overnight to make sure it is fixed.
Have your Onan dealer order u an oil filter wrench. You will not find the correct size at an auto parts place. U will be glad u did.

Just run it under load for an hour or so each month and let it cool down with no load before shut down. Make sure if u use ethanol fuel u use an ethanol treatment or swap over to ethanol free before it sits long term.
Also get on amazon and buy a battery powered fuel transfer pump(they are cheap and use d cell batteries). The first time u try filling that tank u will
Know why
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Make sure if u use ethanol fuel u use an ethanol treatment or swap over to ethanol free before it sits long term.
Also get on amazon and buy a battery powered fuel transfer pump(they are cheap and use d cell batteries). The first time u try filling that tank u will
Know why
Rock
X-2 twice or 3 times...😁
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #11

Thanks Rock for the tips. Sounds like you are getting your generator issues sorted out. That is good to hear.

I will be sure to get the dealer to order me an onan oil filter wrench. Taking to the dealer for the install on Monday. Thanks for the tip on the fuel filter transfer pump. I wouldn't have though of that.

How do you go about putting fuel in for the generator? I would assume you might use something like a 10 gallon fuel container and use the transfer pump to pump it in?
I noticed the tank is pretty big. It might take a few trips to get it filled up.

Yea, hearing all the horror stories about carburetor issues with gas onans, I want to be very careful. What brand of additive do you use and how much do you put in? Ethanol free fuel is not common around where I live.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:49 PM   #12

I use either Starbrite Enzyme or Stabil blue marine. U can get both at walley world. The biggest thing is run it monthly and use the additive. Run it a few minutes than load it up with ac running or fireplace. After an hour or so unload it and let it run for five min and shut off. I use five gallon cans and use the pump to fill the tank. If using the gen a lot while boondocking I just use the cheap ethanol gas with no additive. The last few days I switch over to ethanol free if available or use a heavy dose of additive. I also run a can of sea foam in the tank a few times a year. If u have lawn equipment run nothing but ethanol free with additive and u will almost never have a carb issue and also a little sea foam to keep it clean
Rock
Old 12-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I use either Starbrite Enzyme or Stabil blue marine. U can get both at walley world. The biggest thing is run it monthly and use the additive. Run it a few minutes than load it up with ac running or fireplace. After an hour or so unload it and let it run for five min and shut off. I use five gallon cans and use the pump to fill the tank. If using the gen a lot while boondocking I just use the cheap ethanol gas with no additive. The last few days I switch over to ethanol free if available or use a heavy dose of additive. I also run a can of sea foam in the tank a few times a year. If u have lawn equipment run nothing but ethanol free with additive and u will almost never have a carb issue and also a little sea foam to keep it clean
Rock
Thanks Rock, this is very, very helpful. It really gives me a good feel for what I need to do to keep the genny in good shape. So many things to learn with this stuff.

Next, I will have to figure out the maintenance schedule.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:42 PM   #14

The break in maint schedule and proper break in is in the book and the Onan dealer should also tell u. After I broke mine in and second oil change (early change) went to Mobile 1 change yearly oil. It is so easy to do as long as u have that freakin filter wrench. U can get a service kit. I believe mine was two oil,one air, one fuel filter and a plug.
Also look where ur exhaust is. I bought two carbon monoxide detectors and put em in the bedroom one high one low. I talked with Jayco about the exhaust being below the slide and why they did not put in a detector. Was not needed was reply. I have my piece of mind now
Old 12-03-2017, 07:27 AM   #15

Thanks Rock again. I appreciate it. Never thought about adding carbon monoxide detectors to the bedroom but I am with you, better safe than sorry.

I did some reading on the break in period. Seems you change the oil after just 4 hours of use. Didn't mention anything about changing the filter. Did you change your filter?
Old 12-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #16

Do not remember. I am on my third one now.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:54 AM   #17

Rock, you mentioned running your Honda genset. Why? Is it quieter or less vibration than the Onan?
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:10 AM   #18

When I am at my camp for several months I use the Honda to save gas. It will run one ac if needed and having the cord fully extended u can barely hear it. The Onan is still used especially in the rain or when I do not want to go out and start the Honda. Real nice for stopping while traveling to run ac and for quick set up in the rain for jacks and slides. I know u can get a remote for the Honda but mine will not start unless choke is pulled first. Honda about three times more fuel efficient.
Rock
Old 01-31-2018, 04:54 PM   #19

Thanks Rock. I had a Yamaha 2400 on a smaller trailer and it was pretty nice. I was worried about the noise until I figured out that I am running the generator mainly when I need the AC. With the AC on I can't hear the generator, even at full output.

Can you feel any vibrations from the Onan? I could not in my old MH, but, that was a heavy beast with lots of isolation.

Still trying to decide on how to go with a generator. Installed in front compartment or on a rear rack.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:24 PM   #20

Is your front compartment made for a gen and pre wired? I have the big front bath so our bedroom is back some. You can hear it but not annoying and barely feel it. I can run my 15 k ac with my Honda on econo. I plug my EMS into it so I have low voltage protection. The Onan runs wide open all the time and than just loads up on high demands. If you have a good solid mount for rear of Rv I would not worry about road shake. I would bolt it down with rubber mounts to dampen anything out. I have seen some nice gen boxes built than prevent theft. I did not have a gen in my 30 ft tt and kept the Honda locked down in truck bed. If I kept it would of did a rear box for it.
Rock

Tags
generator, onan, pinnacle 36fbts