Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2021, 09:57 AM   #1

Oxidation issues

I am having oxidation issues on my front cap and also my fiber glass siding. I have been told waxing twice a year will help with the appearance but it will always come back. I recently took my unit in for service on a slide and the rv tech asked if I had looked into a citrus acid bath from the local big rig wash shop. He said he has heard great things about it as the oxidation is just on the surface but just to make sure it is rinsed well and then to us a carnuba wax after. I have also heard of finishing it with a ceramic marine/car type spray wax.

What is your go to for restoring these? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.
ScAaamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:05 PM   #2

I just had a specialized detailer located where I am in Lake Havasu City, AZ take a look at my severely faded 2015 26.5 RLS. He did a test using multistage power buffer using different compounds and buffing discs. Expensive to be sure but test results worth it and will avoid paint job.
Penner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:46 AM   #3

I use to wax my rig by hand, twice a year with Meguire's liquid wax. It was a lot of work, but my rig looked great, and at 3 years, I had none of the ubiquitous fading/chocking of my dark brown front cap. Then, I found Meguire's Wash and Wax. Made the job a whole lot easier, but within a year, my cap started to fade; and at 4 years, it looked horrible! A couple of weeks ago, I posted about how I sanded it with ultra-fine Emory cloth, then buffed it with a buffer and Meguire's Scratch-X. Finally, I hand applied a heavy coat of Meguire's Carnauba Paste Wax, and buffed off the haze with my buffer. This process was a lot of work (over two days), but it removed all of the oxidation - even along the top of the cap where it meets the roof. Now my rig looks GREAT!

Next project is to use the Scratch-X and wax on the side walls.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00182.jpg  
Old 03-28-2021, 07:20 PM   #4

I’ve used Meguiars RV Wax on all of my fiberglass units twice a year and never had issues with oxidation. Put 2 or 3 coats on the front cap and the bugs will clean off much easier.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M561...iars+rv&sr=8-3
Loomis077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:35 AM   #5

I used Meguires #67 oxidation remover on my 2007 30.5 RLS . The front cap took two applications and buffing. Looks 100% better. Sides look like new. Highly recommend Meguires!
Kingskid45 is offline   Reply With Quote