Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2019, 10:56 AM   #1

Progressive EMS

What is up with them? Second one just failed and they asked me to open it and send pictures. They said u had a surge failure and that is not covered!!! After several more e mails from me they finally said to send it in for evaluation.
Still waiting to here back.
So u buy a surge protector with lifetime warranty and now they say it is not covered by surge damage. If they do not replace I will be buying a bully dog.
It had to be damaged at a park traveling, it failed and fried inside after running at my camp on a Honda 3000 IS for three weeks. FW is now plugged directly into the Honda for two weeks with no
Problem
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:12 AM   #2

We turn our EMS off anytime it’s hooked up to the generator. Partially because generators don’t handle two neutrals well enough for the EMS and Running on generator power generally is much less prone to damage your RV like campground power can. Sounds like that was not the case with your issue.

When we bought ours I did read that there is a part that is considered sacrificial during a major event to reduce the potential for any of your RV electronics to be damaged. Once it’s replaced, your back in business.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
We turn our EMS off anytime it’s hooked up to the generator. Partially because generators don’t handle two neutrals well enough for the EMS and Running on generator power generally is much less prone to damage your RV like campground power can. Sounds like that was not the case with your issue.

When we bought ours I did read that there is a part that is considered sacrificial during a major event to reduce the potential for any of your RV electronics to be damaged. Once it’s replaced, your back in business.
I have no issue running mine hardwired EMS with my onboard genset. Mine is installed at the breaker panel so my genset and shore run through it.

Yes, the surge suppressor section is sacrificial and replaceable by the end user. It should throw a code when that happens.

I don't know if the surge suppressor section is cover under warranty or not. Since it's sacrificial, my guess would be no as it would be a "wear" item. The owners manual should specify.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #4

Earl,
Bully dog gives u two years free than u
Pay for a replaceable module. My progressive was toast inside and u cannot buy replacement parts. They never even offered a cost repair at the factory. I will post what they say. My first one fried two years ago and they just sent me a replacement. I like that the bully dog is blue tooth to ur phone but also has a display.
Rock
Old 09-06-2019, 07:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Earl,
Bully dog gives u two years free than u
Pay for a replaceable module. My progressive was toast inside and u cannot buy replacement parts. They never even offered a cost repair at the factory. I will post what they say. My first one fried two years ago and they just sent me a replacement. I like that the bully dog is blue tooth to ur phone but also has a display.
Rock
Never heard of Bully Dog other than diesel performance parts. Cost difference?

Is your EMS portable or hardwired? My hardwired EMS has all replaceable parts. A control board, contactor and a surge suppressor.

I never had any issues with my EMS going on 3 years. Mine is 50A hardwired with the remote display. But the amp and voltage readings aren't accurate at all. But it does protect. I've had it open for low voltage, low voltage on one leg so far.

Earl
Old 09-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #6

I had the opportunity to tear one of the 30A units apart and inspect / get a better understanding.

After that investigation a few years ago, I have hesitated in buying the EMS for a number of reasons.

Our primary reason for power protection is to protect our computers, monitors and TV / Dish Network that still run on 120vAC. We have moved our IP-network and most monitors to be 12v powered on the house batteries. What we have left running on 120vAC is 100% running on APC UPS units. These components are protected 24x7x365 from over/under/outage/other hazards and have earned thier reputation over and over as we travel across the USA.

My biggest find when inspecting the EMS, is that it really has an Achilles heel when it comes to a large surge (lightning strike hits a local power pole) where the relay will not open fast enough, nor does it have enough air-gap to protect the insides of our Seneca in the case where a storm would cause the typical damage.

Our UPS protects us from over/under. In lightening storms in a campground - we pull the power cord from the pedestal and go on our on-board power until the threat is passed.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:52 AM   #7

Earl,
Giggle bully dog EMS. My progressive is 50 amp portable. I like the idea that they sell a replacement module. Would not plus in to a park without it since besides surge protects against everything else voltage wise
Old 09-07-2019, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Earl,
Giggle bully dog EMS. My progressive is 50 amp portable. I like the idea that they sell a replacement module. Would not plus in to a park without it since besides surge protects against everything else voltage wise
I can't find anything under Bully Dog EMS. Everything I find refers to pick-up tuners, etc. Do you know how to post a link to it?
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #9

Maybe the Hughes Power Watchdog
https://hughesautoformers.com/power-...ge-protectors/
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
Yes, that looks like the one he may be referring to. Looks real nice. If my Progressive craps out I will certainly consider the Hughes. I like the Bluetooth option to monitor the operation.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
We turn our EMS off anytime it’s hooked up to the generator. Partially because generators don’t handle two neutrals well enough for the EMS.
Progressive talked me through this problem, after hours no less! They offered to ship me the adapter that I needed for around $20, and then in the next breath told me how to make one for less than $5.

All you need is a simple plug, with a single wire from the ground prong to the neutral prong. Plug this into a generator outlet, and it tricks the generator into believing that it’s grounded.

This happened to me while camping (fortunately there was a Home Depot about 15 minutes from the CG), and the tech at Progressive called me about 2-hours later, about 7:30pm, to make sure that I was all set!

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:27 PM   #12

SOrry about that it is the watchdog. I have no cell service at my camp and spotty in town. I made one of those plugs years ago also. There was a big online post about doing that for safety from an electrical engineer
Old 09-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #13

I ordered a 50amp Progressive EMS last night on Amazon for our new 5er. It should be here within the hour.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:44 PM   #14

Just yesterday my 30 amp progressive saved my butt plugged into park power pedestal and it had no ground. I went and told park mgr. he said it would not hurt anything, he also said other people used it with no problems. I said no thank you, give me another campsite and he did, all is ok now.....
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Just yesterday my 30 amp progressive saved my butt plugged into park power pedestal and it had no ground. I went and told park mgr. he said it would not hurt anything, he also said other people used it with no problems. I said no thank you, give me another campsite and he did, all is ok now.....
Camper doesn't care if the ground is open or not. It's a safety issue for you. You were wise to request another site. Grounds prevent shocks and death.

Earl
Old 09-07-2019, 08:26 PM   #16

Molar Earl,, I use to be a Dodge dealer from 1965 to 1985. We would get along good, especially if you was to see my 1970 Hemi Challenger sitting beside my wife’s 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Six Pack both are all original,,and Yes we drive them pretty regularly. No need to have them and not drive them. ( The Hellcat ain’t got nothing for these in a heads up Drag Race )
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #17

We've never used surge protection for 6 yrs. With our TT . Been fortunate I guess. I also just ordered the progressive EMS-pt30x. Should arrive today. Cost was269.00 with tax .Gonna use it all next week on a trip. Hope I made a good decision. Maybe should have just got a basic surge protector for less than half the money without all the bells and whistles to go wrong. Hope I have the same luck most people have had. Happy camping
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #18

We have a portable 50 amp Progressive EMS & have used it for at least 10 years. We never had one but after DSIL went through severe weather & power fluctuation, decided we better get one. We looked into getting a hard wire (last 5ver) but the person who serviced our unit said there was an issue where it needed to be installed...don't remember the exact terminology.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #19

Progressive EMS

I love our 30amp EMS by Progressive.

It has saved us a couple of times when the RV park we pulled into had low voltage.

Low voltage can damage AC systems and the fridge.
PapiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
We've never used surge protection for 6 yrs. With our TT . Been fortunate I guess. I also just ordered the progressive EMS-pt30x. Should arrive today. Cost was269.00 with tax .Gonna use it all next week on a trip. Hope I made a good decision. Maybe should have just got a basic surge protector for less than half the money without all the bells and whistles to go wrong. Hope I have the same luck most people have had. Happy camping
IMHO you made great decision. The extra money is well spent considering the protection it will provide you.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote