Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #21

Not enough truck! My buddy had same truck similar fiver. 40000 miles trade for F350. Thanks
brettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #22

2nd part of your original question. Grand Design is a very well made unit. Good reputation...............would be a tough decision, floorplan and price would be two big factors. Personally one thing that I really like on the GD Reflection is the insulation and cold weather capability. What works in cold works equally well in the heat.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #23

Pulling with F150

Hello
I pull a Jayco 26.5 RLS with my F150 pretty easily.
Of course I configured the trunk so it be maxed out in all capacities. 3.5 Eco, 6.5’ Box, 18” heavy payload tires and rims, Max payload and Max towing
My payload Max 2,900 lbs, and towing capacity is 11,900. Dry weight on the trailer Is 7,350 and pin weight is 1350 lbs.
this is my everyday trunk so fuel mileage is important
It’s not. 250 diesel, but it’s also not a mortgage payment every month.
Truck pulls great and I’m very comfortable on the highway.
slevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #24

In the F150, you need the heavy duty payload package as well as the heavy duty towing package to accommodate the payload capacity that is necessary to pull even the lightest of fifth wheel trailers. I'd go with a F250 as a minimum standard for pulling any fifth wheel. Safety first!
Jayco Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #25

I've got a new f 150 with the heavy duty payload package and max tow. It is the ONLY configuration in an f150 that is remotely qualified to pull a LIGHT fifth wheel. My payload is 2450, and I forgot max trailer, 11,600 maybe? Might be 11,400. Moot poiont, because the limiting factor is and always will be payload.

The HDPP includes a heavier frame, extra springs in back, LT tires, 3.73's on a beefier axle, etc etc.
Half Ton Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #26

I ordered all the towing packages because I didn’t know what type of trailer I was getting... TT or 5r
Not because I needed both.
Also have the 3.73 rear end. Which I didn’t mention before.
Would have been nice to pay 75,000 for a 250 up here in Canada, but I’d like to retire soon without huge debt.
slevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by slevar View Post
I ordered all the towing packages because I didn’t know what type of trailer I was getting... TT or 5r
Not because I needed both.
Also have the 3.73 rear end. Which I didn’t mention before.
Would have been nice to pay 75,000 for a 250 up here in Canada, but I’d like to retire soon without huge debt.

Did you order the HDPP though? Seriously, it is the only one that counts.

I found that dealers don't know anything about the HDPP, it is that rare. Everytime I called looking for one, they said "Sure! We got plenty with max tow!". I had to educate quite a few about the HDPP. They were clueless.

EDIT: I can see from your payload you have HDPP.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #28

2011 F150 EcoBoost with 5th Wheel

We have a 2011 F150 XLT Super Cab 4WD, EcoBoost, Max Tow, Max Payload, 6.5 foot bed with 16K Reese manual slider hitch. The 5th wheel is a 2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS that was special ordered with Thermal Windows, Polar Package, rear receiver hitch, and Moore Ryde Pin Box. We carry a 3000 watt Champion Inverter generator on an aluminum carrier in the rear hitch.

We are full timers that spend 5 months in the Endless Mountains of Northern Pennsylvania and 7 months in Central Florida.

We knew when we got the setup that we would need to travel light, but we are simple folk so that was not going to be a problem. IE: leave the leaded crystal and bone china at home. When we got ready for our first trip we loaded the trailer with what we wanted to take and went to a CAT scale. We were about 300# overweight so it was back to unload a few of the heavier items that were like to haves and not necessarily needed.

We have been towing our 5th wheel from Northern Pennsylvania to Florida and back for the past several years. We have found that the F150 is absolutely very capable of handling the 5th wheel, if you keep within the specs. We can easily maintain 60 mph on steep grades with throttle left to pass when necessary. The F150 EcoBoost has engine braking which helps on down grades. When on the flat where big rigs have the guts to pass us we only notice when we see their tail lights.
mwcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #29

mwcotton, have you actually needed the manual slider? If I were to get the fifth, my plan is the Andersen Ultimate, with the gooseball setup. Saves over a 100 lbs.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Those 5th wheels are F250 gas territory, or if you want a diesel, you'll need to go F350. Most F250s with a diesel have a payload in the low 2000lbs. The gas engines are lighter, so they might be around 2400lbs.
Just an FYI that I have a 2012 F-250, 6.2L, regular cab, 2WD. Payload is 4,000 lbs and max. tow is 12,500 lbs.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:08 PM   #31

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwcotton View Post
We have a 2011 F150 XLT Super Cab 4WD, EcoBoost, Max Tow, Max Payload, 6.5 foot bed with 16K Reese manual slider hitch. The 5th wheel is a 2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS that was special ordered with Thermal Windows, Polar Package, rear receiver hitch, and Moore Ryde Pin Box. We carry a 3000 watt Champion Inverter generator on an aluminum carrier in the rear hitch.

We are full timers that spend 5 months in the Endless Mountains of Northern Pennsylvania and 7 months in Central Florida.

We knew when we got the setup that we would need to travel light, but we are simple folk so that was not going to be a problem. IE: leave the leaded crystal and bone china at home. When we got ready for our first trip we loaded the trailer with what we wanted to take and went to a CAT scale. We were about 300# overweight so it was back to unload a few of the heavier items that were like to haves and not necessarily needed.

We have been towing our 5th wheel from Northern Pennsylvania to Florida and back for the past several years. We have found that the F150 is absolutely very capable of handling the 5th wheel, if you keep within the specs. We can easily maintain 60 mph on steep grades with throttle left to pass when necessary. The F150 EcoBoost has engine braking which helps on down grades. When on the flat where big rigs have the guts to pass us we only notice when we see their tail lights.
Thanks for the info. Great to hear someone has had a great experience pulling 5th wheel. Happy motoring!!
kirbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #32

We got a 28.5 RSTS last spring. Ford dealer said no to the F150. Bit the bullet and got the F250 diesel and love it. I think we still are at or near max capacity given the pin wt. We have a 6.5ft box and opted for the B&W companion manual slider hitch. This is a real life saver. With the shorter box and the hitch in forward position there is only a couple inches of clearance to the front of the trailer when the tailgate is down... ie have to be lined up perfectly straight to hitch and unhitch. We also have an incline in our driveway and needed to move the trailer back a bit with the slider so that the fifth wheel isn't hitting the sides of the box. Pulled it from WI to Maine this fall w/o an issue and the power of the diesel in the "mountains" was unbelievable. My 2 cents!
davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
The 12500 is probably the “max tow” number. You will exceed the rear axle weight rating (Rear GAWR) long before towing 12k#.
Going to the CAT Scale as suggested earlier would be a good idea. What your rear axle weighs compared to the Rear GAWR will show how what the max pin weight should be. Divide that number by 0.25 and you will get a rough idea of the maximum 5th wheel weight you should look for. Your sales guy will tell you anything to make the sale and will not be responsible for any problems that result.

From earlier posts I recall the HT line will exceed the rear axle ratings of most half-ton pickups.

That said, lots of folks tow overloaded and report it’s not a problem.

I just looked at the web site and both look like they will be in the 9000-10000# range when loaded so I’d expect a pin weight around 2250-2500# (add 100# to that for the hitch). I would also expect the rear axle payload to be 1200-1800# (just a guess). Don’t forget that the people and gear will also add weight to the rear axle.
Exactly. Weigh your rear axle, subtract from your RAWR to find the weight you have left. You'll probably be disappointed with what you find.

Can't wish away reality. Be safe on the road.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbsd View Post
Hello,
We have a 2018 F150 Platinum with 3.5 eco-boost, 5.5 box, 3.55 axle with max towing package and 20" tires. Looking at the Eagle HT 2.7 RSTS or 2.8 RSTS using the Moryrde system. Does anyone have any experience with pulling these 5th wheels using the F150? Also, we are comparing the Jayco to the Grand Design as a competitor so any help or guidance in make a decision?
Thanks
The 2018 Platinum F150 seems to be overweight on payload no matter what 5th wheel you hope to haul. You won't regret going to an F250 for sure. I'm sure no one likes you to be riding on the "edge". Especially your fellow highway travelers.
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #35

I think the RV industry has created an injustice implying there is a group of 5th wheels that are 1/2 Ton towable with ease and safety. I have a Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS I am pretty sure the HT in the name stands for "Hot Toy" and not "Half Ton". I have a F350 and chose the lighter weight trailer to make for easy towing and the smaller package that is easier to fit in the Western National Park's small campgrounds. My weighed pin weight is 2090 lbs. You don't want that on a half ton truck. There are some really nice TT's that will pull easily and you will be much safer. Chose carefully and enjoy.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #36

Slider is necessary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
mwcotton, have you actually needed the manual slider? If I were to get the fifth, my plan is the Andersen Ultimate, with the gooseball setup. Saves over a 100 lbs.
HTH with a 6.5 foot bed you have to have a slider hitch or a sidewinder pin box to make sharp turns. I wanted the Moryde pin box that has rubber mounts for a smoother pull. The Reese 16K Slider is not all that heavy, I was able to put it in the truck all in one piece by myself ONCE. Then I learned that I could pull a pin and separate the base from the head, much easier now. According to Camping World the hitch weighs in at 156 lbs.

I have seen some automatic sliders that weigh in at several hundred pounds and occupy almost the entire truck bed. You almost need an F350 to haul them around.

We have to use the slide every time we put the trailer on a site unless we are lucky enough to get a pull through.

I Forgot to mention that we NEVER carry any water, Fresh, Black or Gray!
Attached Images

mwcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbsd View Post
Hello,
We have a 2018 F150 Platinum with 3.5 eco-boost, 5.5 box, 3.55 axle with max towing package and 20" tires. Looking at the Eagle HT 2.7 RSTS or 2.8 RSTS using the Moryrde system. Does anyone have any experience with pulling these 5th wheels using the F150? Also, we are comparing the Jayco to the Grand Design as a competitor so any help or guidance in make a decision?
Thanks
We had a 40' Pinnacle Jayco for five years and loved it except for a poorly designed kitchen slide that we went to the Schwinteck (sp) factory and got a fix-it kit that worked fine. We now have a 35' Grand Design that is also a very fine RV. We went to the Grand Design (Solitude, now one year ole) as my wife insisted we get a smaller 5r. It is easier to tow and has equivalent quality if not slightly better, to the Jayco Pinnacle. (The Pinnacle got totaled so that is the real reason we were in the market for a new 5r). I've heard a complaint or two that the new owners of Jayco are cutting some corners but that is not verified. The Solitude is a great value and we found the dealers were pretty aggressive with pricing negotiations a year ago.

I wouldn't tow a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton anything unless it was about 6000 lbs or less. (IMO) We now have an F350 with 355:1 RR, Six Speed tranny and a 6.7L Diesel. We like the long bed so we don't have to have a "Slider" hitch to clear the cab. We are very happy with this setup and with our B&W hitch. Our rig weighs about 15,000 GVW. Hope this is relevant info for you.
Pinnacle Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:18 AM   #38

F150 Experience

I thought I would offer a real world experience with the F150 setup you are describing. We also have the F150 in the 2017 Ecoboost 3.5, Max Tow Package, Firestone AirBags, Upgraded Nito Tires (LT, close to stock size).

We tow a GVWR 9995lb unit, 34 ft with a pro pride hitch. The experience towing this RV with this power is very impressive and comfortable with zero power deficiencies (even in the mountains).

Now, the weight in the bed.. So, I decided.. why not add a toy (2018 yamaha drive golf cart) to the travel setup. In my humble experience, I found that the 9k lb trailer with a Gross 16.7k overall and a bed and tong weight adding up to ~1500 lbs plus occupants puts the F150 at the absolute maximum safety range. However, the truck will pull, with air bags, comfortably.

I highly recommend the 5k series firestones. They make the handling much more stable when accompanied with the LT tires (50psi) on these late model F150's.

Happy Camping!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8849.jpg  
ajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #39

Thanks. Great to see that size is good to tow. Just need to make up our minds on size and brand - 2 contenders right now. Jayco or Grand Design. Want to have an outside kitchen also so not sure if travel trailer or 5th wheel is the best option. Hope to have something by spring time!
kirbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:00 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajones View Post
I thought I would offer a real world experience with the F150 setup you are describing. We also have the F150 in the 2017 Ecoboost 3.5, Max Tow Package, Firestone AirBags, Upgraded Nito Tires (LT, close to stock size).

We tow a GVWR 9995lb unit, 34 ft with a pro pride hitch. The experience towing this RV with this power is very impressive and comfortable with zero power deficiencies (even in the mountains).

Now, the weight in the bed.. So, I decided.. why not add a toy (2018 yamaha drive golf cart) to the travel setup. In my humble experience, I found that the 9k lb trailer with a Gross 16.7k overall and a bed and tong weight adding up to ~1500 lbs plus occupants puts the F150 at the absolute maximum safety range. However, the truck will pull, with air bags, comfortably.

I highly recommend the 5k series firestones. They make the handling much more stable when accompanied with the LT tires (50psi) on these late model F150's.

Happy Camping!

Welcome to the forum.

Is your Yamaha a 2 seat cart or 4 seat? I'd love to see pictures of it in the bed of your truck if you have any.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote