Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2019, 07:05 AM   #1

Seeking After Market Auto Level Advice for 2018 Eagle HT 28.5

New to the forum. Need some wise counsel regarding adding auto level to our 2018 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel. Perused the forum and looking at Lippert GC 3.0 but open to other options. E trailer has it for $2,548. CW has it on "sale" for $2959 with $695 to install. A couple for questions for any of you that have been down this road. How difficult is this install for a moderately skilled individual? Will it compromise the integrity of the underside of the 5th wheel and affect the warranty? Any experiences with having CW do the installation? And last but not least, is it worth the expense? Appreciate any input
Rastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #2

After doing a lot of research, I had the " Equalizer " brand 6 point HYDRUALIC system installed at their shop in Elkhart, Ia. It wasn't cheap & they do have a 4 point. I would spend the money again , that's how good I think the system is.
We needed a trip anyway. Really great install crew. I will say the LCI electric looked easy to install but seeing all the gripes about that unit on here, Irv2,& GS said no way.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #3

Also, Big Foot is a good one & has install shop. Another electric system is Bullfrog but at the time we did ours they only had a 4pt unit.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #4

JMHO but I wouldn't drop $3K into an already depreciating RV. If in a few years you trade it in you'll get zero $ for the add on. If you sell it you'll only get a small portion of it. Money wasted IMO. If it has it as a standard item then you can get something for it on resale or trade as it's built into the MSRP.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
JMHO but I wouldn't drop $3K into an already depreciating RV. If in a few years you trade it in you'll get zero $ for the add on. If you sell it you'll only get a small portion of it. Money wasted IMO. If it has it as a standard item then you can get something for it on resale or trade as it's built into the MSRP.
Leveling system can be pulled off and sold or used on the next unit.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #6

I just sold my 2016 36' Jayco 5th wheel for a Jayco toy hauler.

I found the factory auto lift system was more trouble than
it was worth. Hit the auto button and it cycles until level.
The problem is usually one of the tires is off the ground &
it a long way to the steps. This was when the ground was level
to start.
I ended up using the manual mode. Leveled the front of the unit
and then just put down the rear jacks to steady the unit.
If you get a unit I would get a hyd manual control. Lots cheaper.
Don't forget if you get a unit level it with the slides in to prevent
damage to the slide system.

Don't listen to people about moving the unit if you sell. It never works
out.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #7

No issues of any kind on my Lippert ground control. My previous trailer had 4-point Lippert level-up hydraulic. We are impressed with the ground control. We were iffy at first coming from hydraulic. Levels perfectly everytime. You have to use it correctly. Like zero it correctly. Use blocks under the jacks to prevent out of stroke. Allow the front to drop below level or it will do odd stuff. So you need to set your landing gear up correctly so the trailer can dip below level when you hot auto level. If it can't it will still level but will probably put the wheels in the air more then needed or all wheels. Don't expect the wheels to always be on the ground, it's not magic. Also no harm in having the low side wheels off the ground.

We would never own any type of RV without auto leveling. We stay in state parks and fields and never have any issues. Never once have we camped on a level site or even on a pad.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:41 AM   #8

Thanks everyone...appreciate the responses. Wished I had more experience and purchased our 5th wheel with the level system factory installed rather than having to replace the landing gear and rear stabilizers. Still mulling it over but looks like I may have an ignorance tax in my future.
Rastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastro View Post
Thanks everyone...appreciate the responses. Wished I had more experience and purchased our 5th wheel with the level system factory installed rather than having to replace the landing gear and rear stabilizers. Still mulling it over but looks like I may have an ignorance tax in my future.
Don't beat yourself up. We did the same thing cause we had not had an rv for 10 years when we bought our Jayco, owned pop up/TT/MH.If the sales person had shown me slide-toppers & auto-level would have said add them. We didn't know the 2 options existed and we do not regret one penny we spent adding these. It's really nice not getting on my wore out knees putting blocks or on a ladder to sweep off slides.
When the installers were looking my 5er over, found the door side front jack enclosure didn't have room for the hydraulics. They were able to add both front jacks just behind each existing jack takeing up a 4/4 section of storage compartment in the corner. The other fit behind the propane bottlesI still have both electric front & rear jacks if something should quit.