Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2022, 01:02 PM   #21

Try building houses. I'm surprised anyone still has their nose from all the headbanging.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
I'd go get my trailer and have them call me in 6-8 weeks when they are ready for it.
And they've had it for 2 weeks already, what a bunch of crap.
To the OP, this would be my advice too. We had this same issue with Gander when we bought our Montana. I finally told them, you call us when you're ready for it, BUT keep us on the schedule. You may have to call every couple of weeks, and verify that you are STILL on the schedule, however.

Quite frankly, I don't want our 5er sitting outside, when it could be sitting inside at our place...
Old 02-04-2022, 04:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman_ks View Post
To the OP, this would be my advice too. We had this same issue with Gander when we bought our Montana. I finally told them, you call us when you're ready for it, BUT keep us on the schedule. You may have to call every couple of weeks, and verify that you are STILL on the schedule, however.

Quite frankly, I don't want our 5er sitting outside, when it could be sitting inside at our place...
I'd also be concerned of the warranty period ticking away.. Some dealers are masters at this tactic.. It happened to me.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
I'd also be concerned of the warranty period ticking away.. Some dealers are masters at this tactic.. It happened to me.
Excellent POINT! I never really thought about it from that standpoint, but you are correct, that they are burning warranty time.

One thing that I will say about our local Gander (may not be true of others) was that when we had things that were wrong with it, we would take it in, let them figure out what the issue was, get the warranty started, and then we would come and get it. Then we would take it back when they had the stuff to fix it. In the mean time, we were taking it out, and if we found something else wrong, we asked to have that fixed. I think that only happened to us on one occasion, but in the end, we didn't have any warranty issues.

One thing that I did learn early early on though, was that I fixed several things that were easy to fix, like trim that just needed some more brad nails. It was easier to fix it myself, than complain about it, and drag it to the dealers. Things we couldn't fix, though, we made them fix.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
As a service/installation tech in a different field, we are overworked, understaffed, burned out, and starting to crack. And don't get me started on the youngsters we have hired to train.
I'm retired hvac and last summer got talked into working. I couldn't believe how many techs ( very large residential ) refused to work on saturdays or more than eight hrs and the dispatchers had calls backed up . Owner says so few techs to hire can't make them put in a few more hrs every now & then.
So, do the rv dealers service dept.s only work 8 hrs 5 days a week ? Since my warranty expired I have repaired everything but the new roof & the install of my 6 pt leveling system. It must be no parts as most things broke are not that hard to fix imho
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:14 AM   #26

Thanks for all the replies - it makes me feel like I can probably get some reimbursement for repairs - I was able to schedule a for sure repair at Apalachee RV in Auburn, GA - the guy there, Curt, said because of space don’t bring it in until the day before we will start work and we’ll get you right out. I am scheduled for Feb 16th - ho ray. So then I called Southern RV to let them know I wanted to pick up my RV, didn’t say why, they said well we started on it but, had to pull off - I said I was coming to get it on Tuesday and when they thought they could confirm a day for repair I would bring it back (not) - will let you know how things turn out
GeorgiaTrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:23 AM   #27

I am in the Large Lift truck business and believe me it is tough to find and keep techs. Unfortunately we lost two of our best long term techs to COVID last year - their years of experience cannot be replaced. I agree you need good techs on a higher pay scale because it gives the dealer quality work and less reworks. The key thing is communication to the customer - don't tell them what you think they want to hear be honest but, most important follow through. If Southern RV would have been completely honest with me from the start I would have had more respect and tried to work with them - how many customers can they afford to loose in the long term - I'll never be back.
GeorgiaTrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:06 AM   #28
Site Team

From my limited exposure to repair shops on trailers, rv's and other business that cater to rv repairs, they work set hours and do not work overtime.

The repair shops are normally closed after the 8 hour business day and either closed on Saturdays or open for limited hours. Many times I had work done on my rig, I watched them do it and tried to get an understanding of what they were doing. I have seen a wide range of competency in those that do rv work.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:30 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTrains View Post
Thanks for all the replies - it makes me feel like I can probably get some reimbursement for repairs - I was able to schedule a for sure repair at Apalachee RV in Auburn, GA - the guy there, Curt, said because of space don’t bring it in until the day before we will start work and we’ll get you right out. I am scheduled for Feb 16th - ho ray. So then I called Southern RV to let them know I wanted to pick up my RV, didn’t say why, they said well we started on it but, had to pull off - I said I was coming to get it on Tuesday and when they thought they could confirm a day for repair I would bring it back (not) - will let you know how things turn out
If the other dealer already started, that means that JAYCO has authorized them to do the repairs. You may be hard pressed to get them to approve the same repairs at another dealer for reimbursement.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:20 PM   #30

Had same issue last year. Dealer had the trailer for 4-6 weeks for the LP regulator recall, oh and btw can you look at this electrical issue. Neither got done, I picked up the trailer in September. I don’t want to go back. Bodes badly for future business from me.
NGaCamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 01:24 PM   #31

Our parts are stuck on a bridge here in canada so could be months lol. Call Jayco they have always supported us 100%
Sunshine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:02 PM   #32

BUT, the manufacturers are "finding" the parts to crank out more and more units. I think they should be REQUIRED to provide at least a percentage of their parts inventory to their dealer network, especially for recall repairs. But, until the consumers (and the dealers??) stand up and demand better service, we don't get what we paid for already.
LOWCO508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:03 PM   #33

Feb 2021 I damaged (raked a palm tree) our rollout slide cover. End of month got an estimate, cleared w insurance, got RV dealer to order parts (pd down big bucks to cover parts). End of Nov 2021 slide cover came in. Took 5ver to shop. Next day they rolled out cover...wrong color. They called Jayco, they confirmed they had ordered correct part # and color. Some warehouse worker up there pulled wrong cover off shelf. Reordered part again. Part came in Jan of 2022. Dealer unboxed it, and it was right color...wrong size. Dealer threw a fit w Jayco and returned part. Then ordered direct from Carefree (I think). Finally right part, repaired one week ago.
My dealer did all the right things, but had of course to deal with sources that have unstaffed or poorly staffed help, and or check and monitoring systems that have weak points.
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickDay View Post
If a business cant find qualified people to work, they aren't paying enough. I realize that labor costs are through the roof right now but businesses need to adapt or they will end up failing. Telling your customers to pound sand isn't a sustainable business model.
I retired after a 45 year career as a Professional Engineer. I turned in my papers 11 months before my end date to give my company enough time to replace me. I also participated in the hiring process.

We got way too many applicants, making it a hard choice. The one hired turned out to be an exemplary employee. Although hired right out of school, the salary level was almost as high as mine.

I realize that high salaries may not be fair to the retiring oldsters, but if a company NEEDS employees, that's what must be done.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTrains View Post
Here is todays OMG.

I had an appointment two weeks ago to have a few items fixed on my 6 months old 36FBTS. Today I called to check on the progress and the service writer said it had not been touched and would most likely be 6 - 8 weeks before they could get to it.

They are short on technicians.

This is Southern RV in McDonough, GA.

What is the chance Jayco will pay for Warranty repairs if I get them done with an independent?
I was in the same situation some time back, called Jayco tier 2 support and got a really good local shop authorized to do warranty repair work.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 03:06 PM   #36

Whi knows!

It's called no one wants to get dirty anymore...skilled people are the minority...schools no longer teach trades..so here we are! Ask yourself would you crawl around this stuff in positions that require double joints??? Tuff job and conditions aren't the best....patience is the word..or hire at your expense sorry to say..all mfgs are the same boat.
rickstracs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 03:07 PM   #37

I want everyone in Pierce and King County Washington that "Valley RV Super Center" gave me excellent Service on my 2016 Jayco Whitehawk TT. They are a Jayco Dealership. Service was completed during Pandemic.
Billandcarole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:16 PM   #38

Concerning them letting you do warranty work yourself, give it a shot. My local small dealership (only two service bays) was months behind. Jayco motorized service (corporate) shipped the required parts to my dealer and authorized them to let me take them home and do the work myself. Full set of kitchen and bath countertops. Big job but everybody ended up satisfied.
Mzellers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:01 PM   #39

I took my trailer to the Jayco dealer in Fresno, CA for some minor warranty work, and also have 2 recalls taken care of. I called late August for a mid-October appointment. I dropped the trailer off on my scheduled date of October 11, but the work wasn't completed till December 24! 2-1/2 months! This is frustrating but a very typical time frame for trailer service.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:13 PM   #40

Serious Dealer Situation-OMG

I wouldn't count on Jayco authorizing you to take it to any repair facility. I had trouble with my new travel trailer in 2021 and had a run around with the authorized Jayco repair facility. When I contacted Jayco customer service about taking it to an RV repair facility they told me as long as they were an authorized Jayco repair facility. Well, guess what. Unless you sell Jayco campers they are not authorized by Jayco to do warranty work. Go figure. Hope it works out for you. But I would hold my breath.
LuFowler is offline   Reply With Quote