Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-12-2018, 04:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I've had both with the last being a SRW DURAMAX. Driving safely is the key to what ever you choose. Neither a SRW or DRW are safe flying down the road at 75-80. Just my two cents after 44 yrs towing all sizes.
I agree
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #22
Sam

There are now many interstate highways that have posted limits of 80 MPH. My RV is as stable and competent as any on the road, that said, I would never consider driving at 80 MPH or close to that to keep up with traffic. One important consideration is tires at higher speed especially when it is hot. I believe that any tire expert will agree that heavy loads, high speed and heat is a recipe for tire failure.

There are stats that can support any thing people want to believe and if some want to pull their RVs or drive their motor homes while towing toads at higher speeds because they think it is safer to keep up with the flow of traffic, fine. I will side with what I think is good judgment and travel in the right lane between 60 MPH and 65 MPH even when the flow is 70 MPH to 80 MPH. I am not saying this to be arbitrary. it is what I am comfortable with.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Then why is 45 MPH the acceptable right lane speed on the Interstates. There are still numerous trucking companies who govern their rigs for 65 as well as many states with 60 or 65 the "legal" limit for trucks. Also numerous RV's still come with tires rated for 65 MPH.

I agree if someone is poking along, at or below the "legal" limit, in the left or center lane it is an issue, but not when running in the right lane.
As usual, Grumpy nailed it in my op. I worked accidents where semi's were traveling at the posted speed limit but would have a mechanical issue: blown steer tire etc. I also worked accidents where semi's were driving too fast for conditions, took a curve too fast, didn't have enough braking distance to avoid a accident, deer committing suicide.

People have to put safety first, these aren't your family SUV, they don't handle as well, they don't stop as fast. Most tires aren't rated for higher speeds, a lot of rigs are right at or over weight limits. A lot of us are older and the truth is our response time isn't what it use to be.
A lot of RV drivers use them occasionally during the summer, even less the rest of the year.
I drove over 3 Mil. miles in semi's in 20 years, then went to the Sheriff's Academy and was trained behind the wheel, practical experience running 90mph on hot calls.
You will still find me holding that 60 mph in the slow lane. I'm just not in a big rush anymore.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by putz View Post
You can put on all the airbags and overload springs you want but you still have the small brakes on 1/2 & 3/4 tons PU's
The 3/4 & 1T have the same brakes, at least in a GM diesel. Only the rear spring pack changes.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #25
Site Team

I'm a careful slow poke as well. 60-65 is fast enough for me.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
The 3/4 & 1T have the same brakes, at least in a GM diesel. Only the rear spring pack changes.
Same on Ram 2500 and 3500.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote