Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2021, 10:08 AM   #1

Suspension Hangers bending

I needed an inspection for my registration renewal, and took my 2015 323LKTS to my go-to shop, Texas Trailer Corral in Lubbock, Texas. Whenever it is in the shop for any reason, I always request that they take a look at the suspension because, well, it's a Jayco, and I know they use the lightest and least expensive components in the manufacturing process. I've replaced the shackles already, the brakes twice, and one of the Schwintek slides in 5 years of ownership. And no, I am not full time.

The shop noticed my tires (less than 2 years old) were wearing badly on the outside of each. They checked the hangers that the leaf springs attach to, and discovered that they were bending inwards toward the center of the fifth wheel. I am not overloaded, as every time I have weighed it on scales, I am always at least 500 lbs under the GVWR for the fifth wheel (12,950). They showed me the hangers they will replace the factory ones with, and they are just under 1/2 in inch thick, whereas the factory ones are only 3/16 of an inch.

Just a reminder that all of us need to be vigilant in checking the suspension. I can't imagine what would have occurred if these hangers kept bending under weight, and broke off on a trip. Be safe above all things.

Here is a pic that shows the outer tread wear on my tires, and you can also see the hanger bending towards the center of the RV. I can't say enough good things about Texas Trailer Corral, Lubbock, Texas. They do all kinds of RV repair, and are experts on frame, brakes and suspension. If you are near Lubbock, or ever have an issue while traveling through, they are the place to go.
Attached Thumbnails
20210205_083636.jpg  
Old 02-05-2021, 10:14 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
LegalEagle: well, it's a Jayco, and I know they use the lightest and least expensive components in the manufacturing process.

For those who lack knowledge: Chassis is not made by Jayco
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:16 AM   #3

Did they say anything about the shock mount? ~CA
Old 02-05-2021, 10:46 AM   #4

I do not see any bent/twisted metal on the spring hanger bracket. The spring hanger alignment affects the tire position and abnormal tire wear. The shock bracket has a twist in it. I would not expect this bend to cause tire wear. Might not be good for the shock, and if there is side loading can cause it to prematurely fail. A few additional pictures from different angles would be helpful, to determine how it is mounted.

A good welder can fix that right up, and reinforce it appropriately.

I do get tire wear at my new house, as I have a tight turn, lots of parked cars to work around. I get a lot of tire scrub in the street as I back into my driveway. In a way it looks like a hotrodder doing a peel-out as they accelerate out of my driveway. Lots of tread is left, and the street is marred. Annually I rotate my TT tires.

Edit: added thought. When I make sharp slow speed turns, my suspension twists, and I can see the rims twisting, the suspension, axles is following and resisting that twist. The spring hangers, should be rock solid, never bend or twist (we know they fail). My thought is under heavy side loading, the axle assembly twisted side to side during sharp turns (as expected). I suspect the Shock is mounted in so tight, and the rubber bushing could no longer flex enough, the side load on that bracket pulled on beyond it yielding point (weakest link). When the shock bracket is being repaired, might be worth looking at having the bushings in the shock mounts replaced. Or consider new shocks with spherical ball joint ends. Traditional bushing should be just fine, they just need enough flex. Softer the better bushing material in this application would be good. You want grandma car, not race car.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:40 AM   #5

Haven't had any problems with ours, but if we keep it I plan on installing Morryde X-factor crossmembers that tie the left and right side spring hangers together preventing any bending.

Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #6

Considering that you've replaced your shackles, I'm surprised you didn't go with the MorRyde wet bolt and shackle kit? You're just going to have to replace those shackles again in a few years.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:04 PM   #7

Yes, it is being repaired as well.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:05 PM   #8

The shock mount, I mean
Old 02-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
LegalEagle: well, it's a Jayco, and I know they use the lightest and least expensive components in the manufacturing process.

For those who lack knowledge: Chassis is not made by Jayco
Right, it is from Lippert. But Jayco certainly does not request them to put heavy duty parts. Instead they go with the less expensive stuff, which is what I am dealing with.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I do not see any bent/twisted metal on the spring hanger bracket. The spring hanger alignment affects the tire position and abnormal tire wear. The shock bracket has a twist in it. I would not expect this bend to cause tire wear. Might not be good for the shock, and if there is side loading can cause it to prematurely fail. A few additional pictures from different angles would be helpful, to determine how it is mounted.

A good welder can fix that right up, and reinforce it appropriately.

I do get tire wear at my new house, as I have a tight turn, lots of parked cars to work around. I get a lot of tire scrub in the street as I back into my driveway. In a way it looks like a hotrodder doing a peel-out as they accelerate out of my driveway. Lots of tread is left, and the street is marred. Annually I rotate my TT tires.

Edit: added thought. When I make sharp slow speed turns, my suspension twists, and I can see the rims twisting, the suspension, axles is following and resisting that twist. The spring hangers, should be rock solid, never bend or twist (we know they fail). My thought is under heavy side loading, the axle assembly twisted side to side during sharp turns (as expected). I suspect the Shock is mounted in so tight, and the rubber bushing could no longer flex enough, the side load on that bracket pulled on beyond it yielding point (weakest link). When the shock bracket is being repaired, might be worth looking at having the bushings in the shock mounts replaced. Or consider new shocks with spherical ball joint ends. Traditional bushing should be just fine, they just need enough flex. Softer the better bushing material in this application would be good. You want grandma car, not race car.
The repair shop can heat the hangers up, straighten them and reinforce them. But I am trying to replace the original hangers as well as have them reinforce the new ones.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Considering that you've replaced your shackles, I'm surprised you didn't go with the MorRyde wet bolt and shackle kit? You're just going to have to replace those shackles again in a few years.
I asked the shop about the wet bolts when they replaced them 18 months ago. He told me the hollow core of the wet bolt necessary for the grease to be there weakens that bolt and could cause it to fail. I have not heard anyone else give that opinion, nor heard of such a failure. I guess you could say it is the only disagreement I've had with this shop. But he started his business only as a suspension, brakes and flat bed trailer shop. So I decided to let his expertise win the day and didn't put the wet bolt kit on. I am, however, checking his repair to see how long they last. So far so good.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:29 AM   #12

Hangers

LegalEagle, what's with the tire in the foreground? It looks like it is worm almost slick.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
LegalEagle, what's with the tire in the foreground? It looks like it is worm almost slick.
It's the angle of the picture. You see the outer edge of the tires, which is slick from the bending of the suspension hangers inward, making the tires ride very heavily on the outside tread. The rest of that tire looks like the one in front, near bald on the outside with good tread the rest of the tire. So not only am I facing whatever cost of the repair is going to be, and that depends on what my extended warranty will or will not cover, I'm also looking at replacing the tires 18 months after purchasing these.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
Haven't had any problems with ours, but if we keep it I plan on installing Morryde X-factor crossmembers that tie the left and right side spring hangers together preventing any bending.

I have those on my Pinnacle. It came with them from the factory.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:35 AM   #15

Have the shop add some cross tubing that connects to the spring hangers from side to side.
https://www.morryde.com/wp-content/u...structions.pdf
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:17 PM   #16

I went to assess the what it's going to take to upgrade my parents shackles and bushings with the MorRyde set. They have a 2014 Keystone Cougar fifth wheel.

Talk about a bent support hanger!
Attached Thumbnails
20210206_112659.jpg  
Old 02-17-2021, 01:24 PM   #17

My little rig is different than those big tandem axle units, but for what it's worth -

After one of the leaves of my leaf springs broke, I replaced the whole suspension with heavier duty springs, shackles, hangers, everything needed at a professional commercial spring place. Yep, my little 16' trailer along with huge dump trucks...

The peace of mind and confidence it instilled is well worth the cost, and that wasn't that much, a few hundred dollars. Thanks AB Spring Service! I can feel a more solid ride from the trailer while towing. Now I just need to keep an eye on that Lippert, not Jayco, axle.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:24 PM   #18

One of mine broke clean off. A welder came to my house, repaired it and reinforced all 6 with diagonal bracing for the 6 hangers. The frame manufacturer covered the repair and bracing on a pair of hangars...about half the total cost. $300 total, and the frame manuf reimbursed $150 under warranty. I got permission first.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post

I installed those 3 of them 3 yrs ago it really cleaned up my trailer tracking big time. Also put on the moryde wet bolt and hanger kit, tighten it right up.
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
I went to assess the what it's going to take to upgrade my parents shackles and bushings with the MorRyde set. They have a 2014 Keystone Cougar fifth wheel.

Talk about a bent support hanger!
Holly Crap!
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote