Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 11:07 AM   #41

I try hard not to be a conspiracy theory kind of guy, but this has really been interesting to see how our Media, and our Politicians have taken hold of this Coronavirus issue. The theory of "follow the money" seems to apply here (as it does in most cases).

Who benefits from blowing this out of proportion? What do the experts say based on their research and study of the virus? Where do these two stories differ?

Do your own reading of solid scientific research and opinion. Be smart and always put your safety and that of your family first. ALWAYS take what the Media and Politicians say with a grain of salt.
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab
2004 Sunnybrook 2709 TT (Sold)
Old 03-03-2020, 11:17 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Actually, the flu vaccine usually has only a 50% effectiveness, sometimes less, but gives people a false sense of security. So, a good portion of people who get vaccinated, still catch the flu.

Any chance it's because they get a mild case, and just stay home and treat it themselves, versus go to the doctor?

The deaths primarily come from the elderly or people who already have major underlining health issues.
Yep, my daughter got vaccinated but still got the flu last year
Old 03-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #43

Quote:
Actually, the flu vaccine usually has only a 50% effectiveness, sometimes less, but gives people a false sense of security. So, a good portion of people who get vaccinated, still catch the flu.
The reason for this isn't that the vaccine itself isn't effective. It's because there are so many strains of the flu and they can only include about 10 in the vaccine each year. They try to anticipate which strains are going to be the most prevalent. All they are trying to do is reduce the odds that you'll get the flu. That means that you can catch one that wasn't part of this years vaccine.

Also if you get the flu shot it takes 2 weeks for it be effective. You can still get a strain of the flu in the shot before it becomes effective.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:06 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I just saw a personal ad “ gentleman with Corona virus seeks woman with Lyme disease”.
Hilarious!

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Old 03-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #45
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
The reason for this isn't that the vaccine itself isn't effective. It's because there are so many strains of the flu and they can only include about 10 in the vaccine each year. They try to anticipate which strains are going to be the most prevalent. All they are trying to do is reduce the odds that you'll get the flu. That means that you can catch one that wasn't part of this years vaccine.
That's correct, but for all the years they've been making the flu vaccine, you would think they would get closer... look at the chart below... the effectiveness has been dropping the past years..

That also means, by the time they get a vaccine for the coronavirus, it could also mutate to something that the vaccine won't prevent.

Your best odds, get healthy and build your immune system, and be aware of your surrounding... and WASH YOUR HANDS, and don't touch your face!!
Attached Thumbnails
flu effectivness.jpg  
Old 03-03-2020, 02:19 PM   #46
dee

The Flu vaccine is a big money maker and not all that effective year to year. And if you look behind the claimed stats, you will see that flu death claims are grossly overstated. And given that real people(although a small minority) can have very serious reactions to them, it makes it even less compelling.

I go back to the fact that China actually shut down cities. I think it makes this a bit scarier vs. SARS , bird flu, or other illness in recent memory.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #47

Today, my friends company sent an employee home until further notice because her town had 2 cases.

So we're at the point of banning or quarantining entire towns because someone in that town has got it, albeit most likely, a mild case.

Is the next step to ban all NJ residents from entering NY city because of a single case?

This is already the deadliest virus in recent history because of the ridiculous fear and toll it has taken on the economy.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #48

I did not survive drinking everclear as a teenager to let a virus named after a Beer take me out..
Old 03-03-2020, 05:19 PM   #49
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinner28 View Post
So we're at the point of banning or quarantining entire towns because someone in that town has got it, albeit most likely, a mild case.

This is already the deadliest virus in recent history because of the ridiculous fear and toll it has taken on the economy.
Exactly what I'm thinking. The risk ISN'T from catching the virus, it's the fallout from the travel bans, quarantines and negative economic effects they cause. Just look at the stock market the last week or so... and even today, with the FED lowering rates 1/2 a point, the market still fell almost -800.

The global economic damage will be the killer, NOT the virus.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:42 PM   #50

We HAVE been stocking up lately. I now have a 6 month supply of beer and a 5 year supply of ammunition.

Truthfully though, one of the side effects of my BP meds is a cough. I'm perfectly well, but once in awhile I get a tickle. A couple of beers and I stop.

We're leaving on a cruise next week. I think I'm going to buy the drink package so I can stay well lubricated so I don't cause others to panic.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #51

Cancel Disney never ever ever and if you are lucky fewer will be there
Old 03-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #52

Flu shots are free in Canada so we always get it. SARS was way different than COVID19. When our hospitals start prepping I will worry.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:12 PM   #53

Quote:
Anyone here seriously thinking of adjusting or canceling their planned trips because of this?

My wife just suggested canceling our Disney trip coming this Thursday and I nearly blew a gasket.

Absolutely positively Not! I don't go to places like Disney or anything else that the masses flock to. That is why I own a Camper and I don't fly either.
We have pets that go where we go so we plan accordingly.

This Virus is a joke and no worse then the flu. You need to move on with your life and forget about it because it is all hyped up. Unless your health is already compromised you have nothing to fear. If your health is compromised then the same precautions apply with this virus as the flu. The only exception is we don't have a shot yet but we will at some point.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #54

16 people have died from Coronavirus in the US. 6600 people died from influenza in the US.

WASH YOUR HANDS. COVER YOUR COUGH.

It's that simple
Old 03-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #55

Quote:
Exactly what I'm thinking. The risk ISN'T from catching the virus, it's the fallout from the travel bans, quarantines and negative economic effects they cause. Just look at the stock market the last week or so... and even today, with the FED lowering rates 1/2 a point, the market still fell almost -800.

The global economic damage will be the killer, NOT the virus.

That is because it is an election year!
Old 03-07-2020, 01:30 PM   #56

Just stock up on that toilet paper!

But be smart.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:32 PM   #57

Nope. Give it a few months and you won’t even hear of the coronavirus anymore. We’ve had outbreaks of the flu and even legionnaires disease on cruise ships and nobody bats an eye. Coronavirus has been around for years, it’s even listed on cans of Lysol. Unless you have some sort of immune issues.....to which the flu would also be an issue, I’d relax and enjoy your trip.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #58

Quote:
It varies each year, the 2017-2018 flu season killed 61,000.

2016-2017 was 31,000 died.

2018-2019 was 34,000 died.

So far, the 2019-2020 CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 32 million flu illnesses, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths from flu.

Remember, these totals for seasonal flu are only USA deaths. The COVID-19 deaths WORLDWIDE as of now is 3,125 and illnesses are 90,930.

That's why COVID-19 needs to be kept in perspective as a small issue.
Yes, it is early to say the final outcome. Based on data from CDC website the average number of United States people that contract the flu and die is about 0.14% per year and those that have contracted the Corona virus and died is at about 6.8%. So a lot more people must contract the disease without people dieing to get the death rate back in check.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:53 PM   #59

Nope.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:56 PM   #60

Quote:
Anyone here seriously thinking of adjusting or canceling their planned trips because of this?

My wife just suggested canceling our Disney trip coming this Thursday and I nearly blew a gasket.
I guess it depends on your age and your health.

We are here right now! Had this Tripp planned with my son, grandkid etc.. they flew in From Newark we drove up from south florida. We gave them the option of canceling, they refused. I’m concerned but not frantic. We all have hand sanitizer and constantly using it, we are taking precautions but I think we have just as much of a Chance in catching the flu or anything else. Remember Ebola, swine flu, west Nile! This disease is effecting our minds more than anything else!

But I must admit, it’s a bit unsettling walking around theses crowds, and it’s crowded! At this point and time I don’t think corona has discouraged many people from coming here!

I’ll keep you all posted if anyone of us gets sick after this trip!

Stay healthy everyone!
Closed Thread