Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2021, 08:37 AM   #1

Driving in smoke

I just drove our 2018.5 Seneca from southern Oregon to Rexburg, ID. First long trip in over a year. Heavy smoke from fires most of the way. Near Twin Falls the engine light came on and we stopped at the Freightliner dealer. They couldn’t help but suggested I continue to drive until we could get help or the check light came on. A couple of guys who overheard my problem had suggestions. One said I may have bad DEF and the other said I may need to clean my air filter. There is a Freightliner dealer in Idaho Falls but they don’t have time to look at it either. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Ed
EdwardOrmsbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #2

My MIL came on with a code 3363 reading on the scan gauge and no codes reading on the dash message center. After a few start and shutdown cycles the message has cleared.

If the CIL comes on get it to a FL dealer to be checked. If the CIL and amber DEF light come on head to FL immediately because a derate could be coming soon.

Hopefully you don’t go through the same issues I had on our last trip with 3 DEF related breakdowns.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:21 AM   #3

These kind of troubles make me like gas more and more. I am not pulling that kind of load.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
My MIL came on with a code 3363 reading on the scan gauge and no codes reading on the dash message center. After a few start and shutdown cycles the message has cleared.

If the CIL comes on get it to a FL dealer to be checked. If the CIL and amber DEF light come on head to FL immediately because a derate could be coming soon.

Hopefully you don’t go through the same issues I had on our last trip with 3 DEF related breakdowns.
I read that the DEF engine light error will not reset until the level is full. I'll be filling the DEF tomorrow at an Idaho Falls truck stop where I can be sure it's fresh. Hopefully that will be the case.

What is the scan gauge? I'm not sure that I have one.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:41 AM   #5

We have driven in heavy smoke several times, one was from St Anthony ID to the Oregon Coast with no issues. I doubt the smoke would do anything to the air filter. Anytime you have any issue, it is best to contact the FCCC 24/7 number in the drivers door jam, they will assist you in getting help.....that Frightliner shop should have at LEAST plugged into your ECU and pulled the codes to see what it was. Not to cause a panic, but your year is the same as ours, 2018.5, and these are prime candidate for the crossed DEF coolant lines, ours had it and had the DEF Header replaced. I would start by contacting FCCC and tell them what has happened so far.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:04 PM   #6

It may be a ways out of your planned trip... but they are a big shop with great service.

https://g.page/PremierTruckGroupSaltLakeCit?share
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardOrmsbee View Post
I read that the DEF engine light error will not reset until the level is full. I'll be filling the DEF tomorrow at an Idaho Falls truck stop where I can be sure it's fresh. Hopefully that will be the case.

What is the scan gauge? I'm not sure that I have one.

Thanks for your feedback.
If something is wrong with the after treatment system the DEF light may not do out if it is illuminated. I know from experience and the shop even tested my DEF for quality. Also my recent 3363 and MIL cleared themselves without me adding any DEF.

Scan Guage D reads the error codes.

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-d/
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:34 PM   #8

Trip update - arrived Rexburg light still on and stayed three nights; filled DEF at Pilot truck stop in Idaho Falls on the way to Pocatello; stayed two nights; when we left Pocatello I started the engine and let it run for around 10 minutes; when I thought to look the engine light was off; drove to Klamath Falls over two days without any engine light. I believe the error was DEF related and when I filled the DEF tank it cleared itself. Thanks all