Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2021, 09:00 PM   #1

Electrical Panel Fan - runs frequently

I’ve poured through the forums looking for an answer to this as I swear I recall reading about this.. but not finding anything, I’ll post it up here.

We have a brand new 2022 37k and noticed the fan in the electrical panel (under master bed) runs frequently. We don’t have much running - fridge and TV. Even the AC has been off as the temps drop into the 60’s. It runs/cycles about every 5 minutes… doesn’t run for long (a minute or 2). But as most would attest - it’s LOUD! Maybe this is normal?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Going to be annoying trying to sleep with that coming on/off all night.
DamnWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:57 AM   #2

The fan runs based on the 12 volt load and the battery charger, nothing to do with the 120v side.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The fan runs based on the 12 volt load and the battery charger, nothing to do with the 120v side.
Gotcha. I failed to mention that we were plugged in (50a service) at the time so perhaps it had been cooling the 12v charger. I would have thought my batteries were pretty charged by then as we had been on the road for past several hours along with running the generator for AC while on the road and plugged in for a full day prior.

At the time the fan was cycling, the 12v load should have been minimal (just lights). I know the inverter fan under the coach runs frequently when I have the fridge and TV’s going. Seems normal. Which begs the question… if I’m plugged in, do the 110v appliances, etc pull from the inverter still or is there a switch that connects them directly to shore power?

In any case, the fan cycling slowed over night and not running at all by morning.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:24 AM   #4

The INVERTER has an electronic transfer switch so that fan also runs as needed to keep things cool.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:24 AM   #5

Your rig may be different but I discovered early on that the fan that was running was the inverter. I dug around under the bed until I finally discovered what fan was really running. The fan comes on every 5 to 10 minutes and is quite annoying. Somebody mentioned something about an internal auto switch in the inverter that has to be cooled.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The INVERTER has an electronic transfer switch so that fan also runs as needed to keep things cool.
You beat me to it Grumpy.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Your rig may be different but I discovered early on that the fan that was running was the inverter. I dug around under the bed until I finally discovered what fan was really running. The fan comes on every 5 to 10 minutes and is quite annoying. Somebody mentioned something about an internal auto switch in the inverter that has to be cooled.
My inverter is mounted in the front of the coach (underside). It is a Xantrex and the fan on that runs quite frequently, but it’s not a nuisance. The fan that runs frequently in the bedroom appears to be a combination… has both 12v fuses and breakers. Here is a picture of it…(attached). Would really like to better understand what it is and what might cause the heat to build such that the fan runs so frequently. It’s not a quiet fan and doubt they would have placed it in the foot of the bed if it were suppose to run that often.
Attached Thumbnails
5D4AB3AE-51E7-4084-AC17-73F5ACF17E8D.jpeg  
Old 09-28-2021, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnWalker View Post
My inverter is mounted in the front of the coach (underside). It is a Xantrex and the fan on that runs quite frequently, but it’s not a nuisance. The fan that runs frequently in the bedroom appears to be a combination… has both 12v fuses and breakers. Here is a picture of it…(attached). Would really like to better understand what it is and what might cause the heat to build such that the fan runs so frequently. It’s not a quiet fan and doubt they would have placed it in the foot of the bed if it were suppose to run that often.

This is what’s inside the lower half, it is the charger/power converter unit. It builds heat with use and the fans come on to cool it, it’s normal. I have to say, have never really noticed ours being loud at all, but I could hear the fans running occasionally. If you think it is excessively loud, I would contact Progressive Dynamics directly as Jayco would be of no help if you contacted them. It is possible you have a defective unit or something like construction debris in one of the fans causing excessive noise. You can remove the main cover with 5 screws to take a look inside.
Attached Thumbnails
B107738B-8A7B-407C-939C-8E61874EF22C.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:45 AM   #9

Ok, got it. An annoying converter fan. My last rig, a Winnebago class A, had the same problem you're describing. The converter was located by the steps in the main part of the house. About every 10 minutes of so, it's fan would come on to cool the electronics. Rather annoying and I never did find a solution. Sorry, no help here.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
This is what’s inside the lower half, it is the charger/power converter unit. It builds heat with use and the fans come on to cool it, it’s normal. I have to say, have never really noticed ours being loud at all, but I could hear the fans running occasionally. If you think it is excessively loud, I would contact Progressive Dynamics directly as Jayco would be of no help if you contacted them. It is possible you have a defective unit or something like construction debris in one of the fans causing excessive noise. You can remove the main cover with 5 screws to take a look inside.
Thank you all! This is very helpful. I’ll call the manufacturer… I suspect it’s operating just fine. Perhaps they changed out the fans to improve airflow. Or more likely, they couldn’t get the originally engineered (quiet) fans, so these are a substitute. I know that substitute parts is happening a lot in the appliance industry.

Oh - and BTW - when I went to go take that picture, I notice the 2 bottom screws had already fallen out and were on the floor!! Geesh!

Thanks again!
Old 10-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #11

Those muffin fans in the converter are designed to come on when ambient temps are above 100 degrees+. I asked that question of PD years ago because mine never came on.